Kharadron Overlords Urbaz 2k list

Solvanic

After a bunch of research I have my list of Kharadron Overlords and am starting to assemble/paint! I would love thoughts on how to expand this out to 2500, I am thinking at least 5 more mortar thunderers because I have them. 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (100)
- General, Fleetmaster
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster  
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster  
Aether-Khemist (100)

Battleline
Arkanaut Company 3 Light Skyhook(120)

Units

Grundstock Thunderers x3 15 aethercannon (300)

Endrinriggers x3 (360)

Grundstock Thunderers 5 mortar (100)

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- General

Total: 1960/2000

Everyone but the 3 Arkanaut Company and the Mortar Thunderers goes in the Ironclad. Ironclad moves to wherever I can be within ~18" next turn, and hopefully not get charged. Once within ~18" everyone can hop out and destroy whatever is within range, with the Endrinriggers moving forward to screen for the thunderer's. The 4 Urbaz aether-Khemists buff both the 15 aethercannons and the 9 aethermatic saws. This means the thunderers will shoot 75 4+/2+ r-2 D3 damage and the Endrinriggers will have 45 3+/2+ r-2 D3 damage attacks. 2 Aether Khemists can each shoot a unit I wound with the Aethershock earbuster as well. I'll post pics of my custom thunderers once they are done, taking a long time to do.

Cheers!

38 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

You can't take two of the same relic. Are you taking a battalion to get the second anyway?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! where does it say you can't take 2 of the same? No battalion to get the second one, urbaz gets an extra one for free! Any thoughts on the army layout? Also does anyone have clarification on khemist buff stacking? From my reading it seems very clear that they can be stacked, unlike the new bloodsecrator wording. 

Yes, you can take the same artifact multiple times, unless it says otherwise and you can't give it to the same hero. 

There is not yet a clarification nor FAQ on the stacking of Khemists but the rumour is that it will most definitely come with GHB2.

6 hours ago, Slick_Kid said:

Yes, you can take the same artifact multiple times, unless it says otherwise and you can't give it to the same hero. 

There is not yet a clarification nor FAQ on the stacking of Khemists but the rumour is that it will most definitely come with GHB2.

Thanks for the response! You seem to disagree mightily with @Sactownbri. Hmm if that is true that would make Urbaz not nearly as good as it currently is. But for now I see no rules that say it shouldn't stack. It seems to be worded specifically so it does stack! 

If it doesn't stack i'll probably go ziflin shelve one of my Khemists and get 5 more mortars, put a Khemist at the back and buff a unit of 10 for 20 mortar shots instead of 5. 

why stop there man....

6xkhemists

3 base arkanauts as chaff (although still shoot)

ironclad (takes the relic that allows it to redeploy after deployment is done)

20 thunderers all with mortars

10 thunders all with mortars

barak urbahz - take the thingy that lets one unit shoot in hero phase as well

now you got 1 unit that does 140 shots twice in each turn, at 36" range doing d3 per wound...and another that does 70 shots once a turn.... with 36" range yu don't even have to worry about being charged.  You bubble wrap with arkanauts against things like deep striking stormcast.  

2 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

why stop there man....

6xkhemists

3 base arkanauts as chaff (although still shoot)

ironclad (takes the relic that allows it to redeploy after deployment is done)

20 thunderers all with mortars

10 thunders all with mortars

barak urbahz - take the thingy that lets one unit shoot in hero phase as well

now you got 1 unit that does 140 shots twice in each turn, at 36" range doing d3 per wound...and another that does 70 shots once a turn.... with 36" range yu don't even have to worry about being charged.  You bubble wrap with arkanauts against things like deep striking stormcast.  

because aether cannons are better than mortars, and 6 khemists seems a bit extreme. Some units with a 2+ rerollable can laugh off those mortar shots too (only take 1.3 wounds/2.6 casualties for 140 mortar shots), although with the range you may be able to snipe the characters. Also because I have an awesome conversion for aethercannons but not for mortars, and getting 30 real mortars is gonna be expensive. What list are you running? 

Mortars vs Aethercannons mathahmmer:

140 mortar shots does 31 damage to a 3+ unit vs 75 aether cannon shots does 41.6 damage to a 3+ unit

mortar against 3+ 0.221 damage/shot vs aethercannon against 3+ .555 damage/shot

4+ 0.333 damage/shot vs 4+ 0.694 damage/shot

5+ 0.444 damage/shot 5+ 0.83 damage/shot

only at 6+ or no armor save are mortars even close to as good. Against something like stormcast 1 aethercannon shot is worth ~2.1 mortar shots!

The value of the range of the Mortars...may actually be better than the -2 from Aethercannons. In my opinion (and experience) you can deal with the 2+rerollable save hero via Skyhooks. We took out the key Bloodsecrator that was in cover way back on the board with 40 Mortar shots, even though his save was 2+ and not rerollable. They can reach out and touch things. The Mortars were easily killing 2 units of whatever they wanted to shoot at per turn, which is devastating. That's a unit of 20 Mortars with 3 Khemist buffs.

I'm just saying bigger units of Arkanauts to screen your Mortars both being buffed by multiple Khemists will rock armies. Light Skyhooks destroy heroes, and Mortars can destroy everything else. I also place a high value on Endrinriggers for their movement alone, and I recommend taking a Skyship or two for objectives.

5 minutes ago, Dez said:

The value of the range of the Mortars...may actually be better than the -2 from Aethercannons. In my opinion (and experience) you can deal with the 2+rerollable save hero via Skyhooks. We took out the key Bloodsecrator that was in cover way back on the board with 40 Mortar shots, even though his save was 2+ and not rerollable. They can reach out and touch things. The Mortars were easily killing 2 units of whatever they wanted to shoot at per turn, which is devastating. That's a unit of 20 Mortars with 3 Khemist buffs.

I'm just saying bigger units of Arkanauts to screen your Mortars both being buffed by multiple Khemists will rock armies. Light Skyhooks destroy heroes, and Mortars can destroy everything else. I also place a high value on Endrinriggers for their movement alone, and I recommend taking a Skyship or two for objectives.

Aethercannons are also 2+ to wound ;), against a 2+ non rerollable save an aether cannon is worth almost 4 mortar shots. I agree the range is really good though. You're running a unit of 20 mortars with 3 Khemist buffs? Where'd you get the 20 mortars from or did ya convert them? Thanks for the comment!

.111 vs .416

It was 20 Thunderers built as is out of the box. They were the only Thunderers, so it was pretty easy to say they were all Mortars because there wasn't any 'mixed' equipment going on.

41 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

I'm not saying I play it or I would want to. But 36" range 140 shots d3 damage even without rend is gonna wreck most things.  

All the forced saves is crazy.

3 hours ago, Dez said:

It was 20 Thunderers built as is out of the box. They were the only Thunderers, so it was pretty easy to say they were all Mortars because there wasn't any 'mixed' equipment going on.

Dez,

I am in the same predicament. I currently have 20 Thunderers, so I bought 4 boxes and therefore only have (4) Aethercannons. My hobby mission right now is to duplicate 16 of them through casting or am forced to buy 16 more boxes of Thunderers. ;(

From above, you're saying that you just built them out of the box building them with their Aether-Rifles and just call them Aethercannons when you deploy because you aren't fielding Mortars and Aethercannons? I want to do this so bad as the Aether-Rifles look sexy and I'm sure could pass as an Aethercannon and then when I decide to build my Thunderers with Mortars, I would just have to convert those to look the part.

Just an FYI this is my team mates Thunderers, and he just built them all with every weapon from the box so they are a really mixed unit.

IMO I don't think you'll find many people that will oppose you if you are playing a game and say 'Hey my Thunderers here are all armed with Aethercannons. I have 2 units of 10'. Where people might get upset is if you start really confusing things 'My Decksweepers are mortars, my Aetherguns are Aethercannons, my Aethercannons are Fulmigators, etc. That's just in this unit of 40. Over here I have Fulimagors that also count as Aethercannons but the Decksweepers in this unit are Mortars'. Keep it simple, say all your Thunderers are armed with 1 specific weapon, and I don't think you'll have a problem.

With that said, I'll end up converting all of mine :) I know @Thomas Lyons is converting his with Irondrake weapons. I personally haven't decided yet, I'm still looking into the options. In fact I'm more worried about my out of control ideas for an Ironclad conversion right now haha.

6 hours ago, Dez said:

With that said, I'll end up converting all of mine :) I know @Thomas Lyons is converting his with Irondrake weapons. 

Kind of.  My Light Skyhooks for my Arkanaut Company are using Irondrake Trollhammers.

For my Thunderers, I've purchased 10 boxes.  

This gives me 10 authentic Aethercannons, which is the standard unit size I plan on running (in a Frigate).

This gives me 10 authentic Mortars as well, which I suspect will be another standard unit size.

I'm converting 10 rifles to Mortars using the spare Mortar shells provided with each kit.

I'm converting the final 20 Thunderers by using Rifle bits but cutting off the barrels and putting on the cannon barrels from the Irondrake cannons.  These will look a lot heavier than the base rifle barrels which I can either use as a unit of 20 Thunders with Aethercannons, or I can use these for a unit of 20 Rifles (which I'll likely never do).

9 hours ago, Slick_Kid said:

Dez,

I am in the same predicament. I currently have 20 Thunderers, so I bought 4 boxes and therefore only have (4) Aethercannons. My hobby mission right now is to duplicate 16 of them through casting or am forced to buy 16 more boxes of Thunderers. ;(

From above, you're saying that you just built them out of the box building them with their Aether-Rifles and just call them Aethercannons when you deploy because you aren't fielding Mortars and Aethercannons? I want to do this so bad as the Aether-Rifles look sexy and I'm sure could pass as an Aethercannon and then when I decide to build my Thunderers with Mortars, I would just have to convert those to look the part.

IMG_0762.JPG.0a10939f81b7e27299c0b6ab9eae9a81.JPG

I converted my aether cannons from dispossessed Irondrake cannons that I wasn't using. I'll post my first pic! Thoughts? This is my test model, not done painting yet.

3 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Kind of.  My Light Skyhooks for my Arkanaut Company are using Irondrake Trollhammers.

For my Thunderers, I've purchased 10 boxes.  

This gives me 10 authentic Aethercannons, which is the standard unit size I plan on running (in a Frigate).

This gives me 10 authentic Mortars as well, which I suspect will be another standard unit size.

I'm converting 10 rifles to Mortars using the spare Mortar shells provided with each kit.

I'm converting the final 20 Thunderers by using Rifle bits but cutting off the barrels and putting on the cannon barrels from the Irondrake cannons.  These will look a lot heavier than the base rifle barrels which I can either use as a unit of 20 Thunders with Aethercannons, or I can use these for a unit of 20 Rifles (which I'll likely never do).

@Thomas Lyons just saw your comment, do your conversions look similar to mine?

11 minutes ago, Zahaladune said:

@Solvanic Looks like a good conversion to me. I'm interested in seeing more detail on how the join looks/works, but the aesthetics of the cannon go really well with Thunderers.

Thanks man! Here is another of them. The Thunderer arm is attached to the side of the irondrake cannon like a WWII MP-28/Sten/Sterling. The Irondrake part is cut off directly at the hand and some of the round part shaved. The thunderer gun is cut off right after the flintlock insert if that makes sense. What do you guys think of the purple? I'm tempted to either do all silver and gold or black instead of purple. (Last 2 pictures are of a guy with no purple, and also no wash. Almost too shiny I think)

IMG_0764.JPG.ef4a3bd2091e701a88c87000d773d0a6.JPG 

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

Figured I could show my mortar/cannon conversion here as well since folks are chatting.  I used the imperial guard grenade launcher and the rifle bits and am really happy with how the gun looks simple and mean like most of the kharadron weapons (I tried the iron drake ideas too but personally it seemed like too much filigree on a kharadron weapon for me) 

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

Archived