Brotherhood of the Great Bolts - Should I feel guilty?

Siegfried VII

So I recently purchased the Godbeasts book from the Realmgate Wars series and I was checking the Stormcast Eternals warscroll battalion when I saw the Brotherhood of the Great Bolts. After some careful examination and calculations I found that this is really powerfull battalion as it permits the player to score some 15 mortal wounds pet turn  with unlimited range and without the need of LOS.

Before I continue I would like to say that we use the PPC system where most battles are about 2000 to 2500pts per game. 

Granted the friend of mine which I play most of the tme with uses 2 Hellcannons which both shoot without LOS and score about 11 mortal wounds per turn (although with a 48 inches range limit) at about half the points I will need in order to put the units needed for this battalion (2 Hellcannons cost 500pts while the units needed for the brotherhood cost 890pts) and uses summoning to supplement his forces which I don't (and as I use a pure Stormcast army I can't unbind them).

On top of it in the PPC system battalion warscrolls have an extra cost as well for one to use them as you actually pay for the extra abilities, so if I want to use it I will have to pay an extra 300pts making the whole deal cost 1190pts taking up about 60% of my army allowance if we play at 2000pts and almost all of my hero allowance (it's 50% of the armylist so in a 2000 pts list I will have left only 110pts).

I will soon have the models for the battalion but I was wondering if my list will be so overpowered that will spoil the fun of our battles...

So I thought I lay the facts to you guys and ask if you could contribute an opinion on the matter...

Cheers, Sieg. :)

I will soon have the models for the battalion but I was wondering if my list will be so overpowered that will spoil the fun of our battles...

Yes it will. It will be a zero brain game, you just picking models you want to delete.

33 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Although if you're tired of the double Hellcannon BS you could use it once then promise not to use it again as long as at least one Hellcannon stays home.

It would be a shame if it had to come to this between friends!!

As a pure Stormcast player you have plenty of strong options available to combat Chaos without perhaps needing to resort to this particular Battalion. Perhaps you could advise us of the regular lists you and your friends use and we could suggest some alternatives?

27 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Although if you're tired of the double Hellcannon BS you could use it once then promise not to use it again as long as at least one Hellcannon stays home.

And it's not only the Hellcannons. You see he has 4 chaos wizards and keeps summoning Heralds of Tzeench. The Herald of Tzeench has a one use ability that permits him to roll 3 dice for a spell and knows a spell that has a casting value of 9 and scores d6 mortal wounds (he can summon the Herald within 16 inches and his spell has 18 inches range so an effective 36 inches threat range). Also the Herald has an ability that if he rolls 9 and above for a spell he cast a second spell.

So my friend summons 2-3 heraldas of Tzeench and each casts two spells (in the first he needs 9 but with rolling 3 dice it can be easily done) and scores d6 plus d3 mortal wounds (the d3 are from the arcane bolt spell that he casts as a second spell with the ability). So if He summons 3 of those he van deal 3 d6 and 3 d3 mortal wounds on top of his hellcannons shots which pulverize my army (and those of his other opponents).

Most of our games are a matter of if I will be able to kill his summoners in some way soon enough or not, because if I don't I stand small chances in our battles....

What else does he have in his list bar characters and Hellcannons? Perhaps there is a balance issue with the system you are using to select your armies? I am not familiar with this so can't comment.

Out of interest, convert both of your armies into SCGT/Clash pool choices and see how it totals up!

Stormcast's only weakness is mortal wound spam, as each wound taken amounts to a lot of value (almost as bad as Ogres). The answer is likely to be to use one of the alpha strike formations to drop in first turn and smash face/kill his summoning characters etc.. Skyborne Slayers is the popular option, although there are others.

I would use as my 'anti-that guy' list. Someone who  rings bs to a casual game. Summon spams, hellcannonso, kroak, archaon, nagash...those are for big games or competitive play. But if people start using them in small settings then as a solo stormcast player I'll absolutely bring it to shut the nonsense before it begins.

But also be warned. You don't want to use it all the time either. Just under special conditions.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Out of interest, convert both of your armies into SCGT/Clash pool choices and see how it totals up!

Both our 2500pts PPC lists come at around 130pts for the SCGT so not much difference there...

44 minutes ago, Nico said:

Stormcast's only weakness is mortal wound spam, as each wound taken amounts to a lot of value (almost as bad as Ogres). The answer is likely to be to use one of the alpha strike formations to drop in first turn and smash face/kill his summoning characters etc.. Skyborne Slayers is the popular option, although there are others.

You can drop in but a smart opponent can shield his most precius heroes with buffer characters and stop you easily from getting to charge them. You can drop shooting units with battalions warscrolls but are not as effective and sometimes the opponent can use terrain to hide his heroes so you won't be able to see them...

18 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I would use as my 'anti-that guy' list. Someone who  rings bs to a casual game. Summon spams, hellcannonso, kroak, archaon, nagash...those are for big games or competitive play. But if people start using them in small settings then as a solo stormcast player I'll absolutely bring it to shut the nonsense before it begins.

But also be warned. You don't want to use it all the time either. Just under special conditions.

I may inform my friend of this battalion so we can both tone down our lists ...

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, NiallJC1984 said:

Haha at a recent tournament I faced this extravaganza...needless to say my Skaven died in their droves before they'd moved an inch. Pure filth!

What was the overall list? 

It's definitely a tournament build for sure. If you're only goal is to win at all costs then take it.

Archived