CanHammer AOS Tournament - A Day Of Blood - Tournament Report

CanHammer-darren

Hi everyone from Ottawa! This is a written tournament report from the CanHammer AOS Mini - Day of Blood held today, in Ottawa, Canada.  If you prefer your reports in podcast form, then listen to the podcast this week on tuesday night. If you prefer video, then watch our YouTube channel on wednesday where i will be releasing a video report.  However, if you prefer to read, then read on!

So Day Of Blood was a 2000 points, GHB, matched play 3-round tournament. We played 3 missions from GHB: Blood and Glory, 3 places of power, and Border Wars. We picked these three so that it emphasized different types of army construction.  There were 20 people playing, including myself.  You can find all the points and some of the lists and final standings on Best Coast Pairings under Day of Blood.

I can in 2nd overall with my death list, which is super awesome.  Death is underestimated in the tournament scene, and definitely as a death player, you should take advantage of that.   We had a good mix of newish players, and experienced tuned players, and fun was had by everyone!

Here's the list I took (you have seen this floating around the forums here):

Ghoul King on Terrogheist - Ruler of the Night, Cursed Book

Vargulf Courtier

Necromancer

6x10 zombies

2x6 crypt horrors

Mourngul

I decided to take this list as I have most experience playing it. It has been successful against beast claw, stormcast, and sylvaneth (in fact beat a tuned sylvaneth list just yesterday morning), so i'm experienced with it, i know the strengths and weakness.

STRENGTHS:

terrorgheist and mourngul stick together, thats -2 to hit at least, sometimes -3.  Plus those two wreck things. Today, that duo made mawkrushas and archaon basically whiff.  Then killed them in return.  Some units couldn't even hit (needed 7+).

crypt horrors - i know lots of people like flayers, but these guys, with potential to do 3 damage per wound, thats just way better than -1 rend 1 damage, or even 1 mortal wound in my opinion.  Then you add on top of that reroll to hit from GK, they are murdering ANYTHING they touch.  They took out today 30 tzaangors, a lord of change in 1 round, and many more.  I prefer to run them as 2 groups of 6, its very hard to kill all 6 in 1 round (or even 2 rounds if opponent double turns), and then vargulf can usually regerate a bunch of them. Gives you more flexibility in movement (hard to move a block of 12 with such large bases) and you can hit more things and cover more board area. You must stay in 15" of ghoul king, they lose a lot if they lose their rerolls.  And keep vargulf alive

necromancer - was gonna swap him out, but gave him a chance and he paid off today.  Danse Macabre on 60 zombies is ridiculous.  danse macabre on 6 crypt horrors is equally hardcore.  and if that fails, he can still arcane bolt or mystic shield.  Throwing a mystic shield on mourngul for 2+ save ignoring rend is silly.

durability - if you wanna play this army well, you  have be aggressive.  Take first turn.  park your terrorgheist on an objective first turn.  charge at ironjawz.   take it to the enemy.  you WILL weather most things people can throw at you.  My mourngul shrugged off 9 mortal wounds from sky fires turn 1.  My terrorgheist tanked 32 mortal wounds from skaven for 2.5 turns before dying finally.  Crypt horrors will take their hits, but then get regenerated.  and zombies, especially if you put inspiring on them (and theres nothing else you would put it on) just keep coming back for more.  40 zombies today killed 30 stormvermin.  Must keep them within 10" of a character for deathless save.

Mourngul - yes this model is silly #becauseforgeworld.  3+ save ignoring rend, ignores mortals on 4+. 5+ deathless minions, and -1/2 to hit it.  Then it hits you for 8 attacks, exploding 6s, and -2 rend for 2 damage a piece, and then it heals when it kills you.  flies.  moves 12".  so good.  It is a MAJOR distraction carnifex for your opponent, almost nobody can resist shooting it or attacking it for at least 1-2 turns before they realize its useless, or they do damage only to watch it heal itself.  For you, its important to keep it near the terrogheist if possible, this increases survivability of both, but it is a capable lone hunter.  You want to go after CHAFF or elite infantry.  It wrecks these.  Stay away from monsters with lots of wounds, cause you can't heal, unless you think you can kill it within 1-2 turns (like 8-10 wound monster).  

WEAKNESSES:

as above, you have to keep everyone together....so don't split em up, or you will die.

vargulf is the lynchpin, without it, your horrors just die and that's it.  GK is the next lynchpin, without it, you lose -1 to hit, a big distraction carnifex, you lose your unholy vitality and most importantly, your crypt horror rerolls.

zombies can be weak if you are forced to play them in units of less than 30, so try to keep unit sizes big unless they are doing something where thy are unlikely to get hit (like holding back objective in border wars.  

Necromancer is weak and fragile. keep him out of LOS if possible. None of his stuff requires line of sight. and keep him near zombies if possible to pass wounds.

OK on to the games:

Game 1 - vs. Tzeentch/archaeon

Opponents list:

archaeon

lord of change

tzaangor shaman

some blues, some pinks

30 tzaangors (swords and stuff)

3 skyfires

kairic acolytes

So arguably not the most tuned list, but with 5 6s on the destiny dice, i knew i had to keep my GK and mourngul away from archaean.  Mission was Blood and glory, so two units of 30 zombies each parked on my side and I used my numerous drops (12 in total) to make sure i deployed on opposite side of the board as archaeon. this took him out for 2 turns making his way over.  He made the mistake of moving sky fires up.  He did put 8 mortals onto the mourngul top of turn 1, but with his 4+ and deathless ave, i only took 1 wound.  Then straight forward on my turn, right up into his grill. death shriek of 6 took out 1.5 sky fires and terrogheist did rest in combat. Horrors double turned into 30 tzaangors and  between them and mourngul i took out 30 tzaangors and 20 acolytes in 1 turn.  Next turn death shrieked the shaman 1 shot, then mobbed the lord of change. 6 horrors killed the LOC in 1 turn.  Then archaean came over to play, all that was left was hold him up with regenerating horrors. Without magic, the tzeentch side collapsed and i just swept across behind archeon.  I made the mistake of putting mourngul in to try to kill archaeon when what i should have done was fly him across to far objective and go for the major win. Stupid. I had already lost my GK to 6s on archaean (crazy ability....14 wound monster from 14 to dead without even rolling). So i ended up with minor victory only (silly me) and archaean was the only model I didn't kill today...in 3 games i wiped everyones armies completely off.

Game 2 - Ironjawz

Opponents list:

megaboss on mawkrusha

megaboss on foot

6 gore gruntas

2x5 brutes

2x10 ard boys

shaman

warchanter

ironfist battalion

We were playing 3 places of power, so my plan was match up my two bigs against his mawkrusha, have vargulf and 12 horrors on 2nd objective, and have 60 zombies and necromancer take third.  I deployed well, given my lots of drops.  He took first turn predictably as he had crazy movements.  He actually got 10 ard boys into my lines turn 1, but they made mistake of attacking crypt horrors who murdered them all with no damage in return.  Then I pushed right up into him.  Killed 5 brutes with GK, death shriekd his shaman which meant my vargulf just sat on one objective whole game.  6 horrors held up the goregrunta the whole game and eventually killed them with no casualties, even without GK (I hate this one thing about the mission that your heroes can't move).  Eventually, with mourngul and GK not he mawkrusha, he just couldn't hit me, and eventually died to crypt horror spam. The guy on foot got death-shrieked and mourngul'd.  He put 10 ard boys, the chanter, and buffed up 5 brutes into my 60 zombies who just killed all ofthem over a few turns, with few casualties in between due to some good regenerating rolls and 3+ 3+ hit/wound.  Danse for the double pile-in worked wonders.  Ended up tabling my opponent and lost no models in return.

Game 3 - Skaven Verminous Clawpack

Tough game, I didn't know how this would go. I have experience playing against storm vermin spam.  His list:

Say the faithless

rat general (sorry don't remember name)

some other rat general

some rat with a gun

6 storm fiends (the big rats with the warp fire throwers)

2x10 clan rats

30 stormvermin

electricity artillery cannon thingy

3 of those 2 man warp fire thrower teams

Mission was border wars. i put 20 zombies on my own objective and tasked 40 zombies and necromancer with holding out one objective against 30 storm vermin.  I knew they weren't as tooled up as other storm vermin lists i played before, but still pretty hardcore, but i had faith in my zombies.  I then ran all the rest of my army up the left flank out of range of his artillery and 2 of his warp fire throwers. I knew I would have to survive sayl+storm fiend bomb first turn, so instead of sitting back, i charged ahead to at least get that 2 points in my first turn and get horrors in position to reinforce on my turn 2.  With GK and mourngul up front, I sat waiting for th inevitable strike.  

Ad it came.  Not disappointing, in shooting and subsequent 2.5 turns of combat, this rat army put 30-something mortal wounds on my ghoul king. To his credit he survived that long, long enough to help kill that 6-man storm fiend unit and give my horrors enough rerolls to kill those guys, as well as all 20 clan rats.  The mourngul then flew over along with 12 hours and swept across his backlines, killing everything in their path and snagging me 9 points a turn on objectives.  My zombies did their job.  Slowly taking down vermin, minimizing and regenerating as they went, double pile ins and everything. More importantly, I always had more models than him so not only did i neutralize the storm vermin threat, I also held that objective all game.  I had actually won turn 3 on objectives, but our tournament used kill points as decider for ties, so I felt bad, but insisted we play out 5 turns so i could get the full tabling of 2000 points, which I did.

So overall, I got minor win (should have been a major), and 2 majors. I killed 5260 out of possible 6000 points, and lost very little (less than 2000, mostly in my first game).  I got in 2nd overall behind a tooled up sylvaneth (who i played yesterday morning!).  So quite happy.

Sorry bout the long report!

darren

I will take a look at the reports when the kids are asleep. I am looking at a similar list for my army. Why Zombies? Cheap tarpit? I have a hard time choosing battleline units. I like the Skeleton models best but I don't know which unit that works best with these kind of lists. 

Zombies in large numbers are both hard to wipe and can kill anything. 60 zombies took out 30 buffed storm vermin, a bunch of ard boys and brutes.  With a necromancer in tow to give deathless minions save and double pile in. And they are cheapest. And you can field 30 at minimum to fulfil battleline and still merge them throughout the game as ou need.  Super flexible

Archived