Skirmish

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Trout said:

What does that even mean?

it'll be a release, like new models an such . Quest pack or something. Can't see them exuding it for absolutely no reason. What other reason coukd there be 

8 hours ago, Trout said:

Here's what I can find no explanation for. Where are the points for the Devoted of Sigmar? The Witch Hunter, which would be perfect for this game, is ruled out because he's resin. But why no Warrior Priests, Excelsior Warpriests, or Flagellants which are all plastic models?

Go to scrollbuilder.com or look in the GHB and take the points for the unit, divide it by the models in the unit and then divide that by five and then round normally (.5 up, less than that down).  More here:

16 hours ago, Arkiham said:

it'll be a release, like new models an such . Quest pack or something. Can't see them exuding it for absolutely no reason. What other reason coukd there be 

It doesn't make any sense. The models are plastic and available in store. They aren't out of print or anything. In fact, the Excelsior Warpriest, which seems perfect for this, is a sculpt from last year.

The fact its hard to imagine them being cut for no reason is actually a problem. It makes people think maybe they are overpowered or something, making the case for allowing you to house rule them in more difficult. But for all we know, the reason it was cut might be a business reason and not a game reason (like they didn't have enough time to playtest it, or they ran out of space in the book, etc.)

9 hours ago, Nin Win said:

Go to scrollbuilder.com or look in the GHB and take the points for the unit, divide it by the models in the unit and then divide that by five and then round normally (.5 up, less than that down).  More here:

I know you can make house rules for adding them. The question remains, why were they left out?

47 minutes ago, Trout said:

I know you can make house rules for adding them. The question remains, why were they left out?

I think it's a combination of commercial interests and printing constraints.  Generally you need to add pages in batches of 8 or 16 and printers will often have categories where the price jumps up.  40 pages could be right on the edge of a price increase.  Booklet and binding machines also come in different maximum page widths and if you're binding a book with a automatic commercial stapler there might be limits there as well.

For the commercial interest side of things, I think it was GW opting to concentrate on beginner products mostly available in plastic.  The type of thing a new person might get into.  The book has a section at the front that explains the Mortal Realms in general, so I think this might be a very beginner friendly product, so they probably concentrated on their plastic kits as well.

6 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

I think it's a combination of commercial interests and printing constraints.  Generally you need to add pages in batches of 8 or 16 and printers will often have categories where the price jumps up.  40 pages could be right on the edge of a price increase.  Booklet and binding machines also come in different maximum page widths and if you're binding a book with a automatic commercial stapler there might be limits there as well.

For the commercial interest side of things, I think it was GW opting to concentrate on beginner products mostly available in plastic.  The type of thing a new person might get into.  The book has a section at the front that explains the Mortal Realms in general, so I think this might be a very beginner friendly product, so they probably concentrated on their plastic kits as well.

Sure, but Devoted of Sigmar fits all of the criteria you just described. It's available in plastic at all of the GW shops and are beginner friendly products; in fact, it fits that criteria far better than some of the other things they did choose to include. How did it make sense to add the Ironweld Arsenal's Gunmaster, but not the Devoted of Sigmar's Excelsior Warpriest?

I think you are probably correct that this was a business decision and not a game decision, but it's not a decision that is making any sense to me.

I don't have the skirmish book yet -- picking it up finally this weekend -- but I would imagine that overall they would have tried to focus on the newer factions (post-GHB releases, for instance). I think it makes good business sense to encourage new players to buy into these fancy new factions, and Skirmish can be a (perceived) low-cost-of-entry way to do that.

6 minutes ago, Trout said:

Sure, but Devoted of Sigmar fits all of the criteria you just described. It's available in plastic at all of the GW shops and are beginner friendly products; in fact, it fits that criteria far better than some of the other things they did choose to include. How did it make sense to add the Ironweld Arsenal's Gunmaster, but not the Devoted of Sigmar's Excelsior Warpriest?

I think you are probably correct that this was a business decision and not a game decision, but it's not a decision that is making any sense to me.

It's entirely possible that it's just a mistake.  Or the result of rushing to get the lists together for a deadline.  Or something to do with what they have in their inventory and hoping this product will induce people to buy it.  Maybe they have loads of gunmasters in a warehouse or something :ph34r:

While I'd like to think it was a rational decision, maybe it wasn't.  Maybe it was just someone tasked to pick the list and they picked what they thought would be cool even though it meant skipping over awesome stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Surely interesting!
Particularly I agree with the desire to increase the number of playable Scenarios and Heroes, to make Skirmish more Multplayer friendly and to add some sort of Death mechanic to the game: this last thing in particular is to me the most important thing. I find it kind of stupid now seeing, let's say, one of my models being devoured by a Ghoul during a match and in the following scenario my guy is back as nothing happened :P

I'm not sold on the Injury, Exploration and Advancements, Skills & Treasure parts: I know rules will be decided in the future with the feedback of the community, but these are often the things that make the game a LOT more complex, slow and (to me, again) not so enjoyable.

Looking forward to know more about this project.

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, someone2040 said:

My biggest issue I guess you could say I have with it at the moment, is I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when they came up as 25 renown as the starting point for a campaign.

I agree that 25 renown is definitely a little too low. However I don't see it as a big issue. As the campaign is two player, you're likely to be playing with a mate, so you should be able to have a conversation beforehand and agree level you'd like to start at. Bumping it up a bit certainly doesn't impact the flow of the campaign negatively.

Me and @Paul Buckler did 35 for ours as I wanted to use a Megaboss, but in general yeh I reckon 30 is pretty solid! :) 

19 hours ago, Freddy25 said:

... to make Skirmish more Multplayer friendly...

I played skirmish using the triumph and treachery rules and scenarios from the GHB, and it worked extremely well. I don't think any work is needed to make it more multiplayer friendly, I think its already there if you want to do it.

24 minutes ago, chord said:

Now that it's been a couple of weeks...Skirmish feels entirely rushed.  Very sloppy.  C

Could they have been just trying to get something out the door for AOS before 40K 8th drops? 

I think so.  It definitely feels phoned in and very basic, and of course with barely any thought to balance since it's VERY easy to game the scenarios even for casual players without really trying.  I wasn't expecting much for a small $10 book, and I still find it fun, but it requires a lot of effort to not just say to hell with it and try to break it or just cheese the mission.  I would hate to see a skirmish tournament because of how easy it is to game the system and how woefully inadequate some armies are with it.

2 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I think so.  It definitely feels phoned in and very basic, and of course with barely any thought to balance since it's VERY easy to game the scenarios even for casual players without really trying.  I wasn't expecting much for a small $10 book, and I still find it fun, but it requires a lot of effort to not just say to hell with it and try to break it or just cheese the mission.

or they wanted to put something out that competed with Hinterlands. Let's face it, AOS28 and Hinterlands are better products (or ideas, whatever you want to call them) than anything GW has come out to try and push or advertise AOS.

2 minutes ago, Thundercake said:

or they wanted to put something out that competed with Hinterlands. Let's face it, AOS28 and Hinterlands are better products (or ideas, whatever you want to call them) than anything GW has come out to try and push or advertise AOS.

same like a lot of fan comps were way better than GHB/SCGT comp

40 minutes ago, wayniac said:

same like a lot of fan comps were way better than GHB/SCGT comp

I think the issue with Skirmish is that its sooooo bad people will go back to Hinterlands because it gives a much better experience for what people are looking for at that model count. People wanted Mordhiem, and Skirmish isn't it.

I mean, Skirmish does what it says.  It's a fun way to have a bunch of small, laid back games, just it requires restraint to not break it, similar to say Path to Glory which also is a great idea ruined by "eh balance is on you" mindset.

I don't understand why they used a formula for Renown rather than GHB points, and I don't understand why they missed out so many choices that seem perfect for small scale games (I mean: no Witch Hunter? Ahhhh, come on!) but there is nothing wrong with Skirmish as a book.

It has basically codified how my main opponent and I have been playing for 2 years: small warbands, pre-scripted campaigns (using a storyline we come up with to select Battleplans, usually from multiple books and adjusting things as we go along according to what happens on the table). We will be using the modified Battleshock test, the campaign system and the change to "unit coherency" and pretty much carrying on as we have been before. AoS scales -down really well any way and it doesn't need much to make it work. With the work done by @Rafal Maj (on the Full Points List) and a bit of thought there are no limits to the adventures to be had.

It's not Mordheim true, but I don't want it to be. I don't have time to play Mordheim: if I did, I would! But we will be playing lunchtime campaigns for a long time now!

Archived