Skirmish

Can we make a section for skirmish ? Maybe sub sections within that for each alliance.

Or will things be best posted in shadespire..? 

Again maybe we could have a break down a little between alliances if it's going to become popular 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an odd beast, in that it's using the AoS rules, but being built into the fluff for Shadespire

Now all we need in a WHQ boxed set for Shadespire and some new Deathrattle miniatures to go with it.

To be honest there shouldn't be a Shadespire section unless its for fluff.  The games are Underworlds and Skirmish (and I think both warrant their own subsection).  Both happen to be related to Shadespire the place but share little similar gameplay.

I can't wait. I love the idea of blending the two. Ordered the battle mat and the mausoleum scenery kit. I had already started to do an Order Hinterlands force of Witch Hunters. Just going to build a few more minis and board up the windows on all of my warhammer empire scenary and create a ghost town/graveyard game board. 

Can I just back up the idea that the shadespire forum needs to be renamed warhammer underworlds. Shadespire is the first release setting just as magic the gathering has multiple release editions each year. Warhammer underworlds is the game system.

so warhammer skirmish should also get a section for that rule set.

we have 7 ways to play in the age of sigmar and that should be the way the boards are divided - aos open, aos narrative, aos matched, aos quest, aos underworlds and aos skirmish.

shadespire shouldn't be its own section unless we were also going to have a ghyran, aqshy and hamerhal etc sections.

Guys, 

If you're interested in Skirmish, either the game or the lore (which is awesome), make sure you check out The Black Sun podcast feed (iTunes / www.theblacksun.co.uk / Podcast section of these forums) later this evening, around 7pm GMT, as I'll be releasing an episode with myself and @bottle discussing the upcoming release.

I think you'll like it :) 

On 2017-5-21 at 1:10 PM, Ruben said:

Guys, you asked for a nexus point in the world for better lore. Shadespire is going to be the AoS version of Cadia.

Pretty sure it's the AoS version of 

Spoiler

Angelis ;)

But yeah, a dedicated Skirmish forum would be grand. Way too excited about this release than I have any right to be about anything costing as little as £6.

Just posted my initial thoughts after 2 games today

My biggest issue I guess you could say I have with it at the moment, is I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when they came up as 25 renown as the starting point for a campaign.

Most heroes in Age of Sigmar come in at 100 points (some more, some less), which equates to 20 renown, while most basic units start at 2 renown (Which stuff like Grots, Marauders, Clanrats coming in at 1). This makes it extremely difficult to come up with anything interesting at 25 renown.

Death and Destruction are already pretty handicapped. They literally have 2 (Orruk Warchanter and Grot Shaman) and 4 (Crypt Ghast Courtier, Wraith, Banshee, and just sneak in a Necromancer) heroes respectively that can lead starting warbands. If you're not interested in having a Grot Shaman or Orruk Warchanter lead your band, you're a bit out of luck.

If they'd started at 30, it would open up so many more options. Here are the number of heroes that you can make a legal warband with:

25 Renown - Order 31/39, Destruction 2/5, Death 4/8, Chaos 19/30

30 Renown - Order 37/39, Destruction 4/5, Death 7/8, Chaos 28/30

So it opens up a lot more options at 30 in terms of heroes, but also in terms of units you can use (As the cheaper ones will have more renown to play around with). Definitely consider raising the minimum renown if you're thinking of playing a campaign.

That, and no idea why the regular Orruk Warboss isn't included. Poor Destruction :(, just another kick in the nether region.

Anyone who knows if the Skirmish rules can be expected to be sold digitally?

If so when?

Also how are the general feeling about the rules so far? It sounds kinda bummer that warbands might start with 2-4 models but I guess the battleplans might have that work somehow. What about incorperating Hinterlands into Skirmish? Thoughts on that? So far my greatest concern about Skirmish is that once you have played through the 6 battleplans from the book it might loose momentum as normal AOS battleplans are designed to larger games. Does the Skirmish deal with this or are the rules meant as a one trick pony that will fade out fast?

3 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Anyone who knows if the Skirmish rules can be expected to be sold digitally?

If so when?

Also how are the general feeling about the rules so far? It sounds kinda bummer that warbands might start with 2-4 models but I guess the battleplans might have that work somehow. What about incorperating Hinterlands into Skirmish? Thoughts on that? So far my greatest concern about Skirmish is that once you have played through the 6 battleplans from the book it might loose momentum as normal AOS battleplans are designed to larger games. Does the Skirmish deal with this or are the rules meant as a one trick pony that will fade out fast?

It seems like it should be available now http://www.warhammerdigital.com/all-products/skirmish-epub.html (Not sure about the iTunes version), and slightly cheaper as well.

In terms of battle plans and longevity. I think at the end of the day, you'll need to figure that out yourself. I personally think that Skirmish as a stand alone, is better suited to an afternoon of linked battles or a single one day event. I don't think it has what it takes to be a full campaign that you run over multiple weeks, it just doesn't have the right progression system for it. 

I bought the epub3 version of the Skirmish book, but cannot get it to open in the Google Book app. After I uploaded the file, it just say Processing endlessly. Tried some other ebook readers* but they mess up the formatting so bad you cannot read it.

Anyone else had that problem or have an idea of what to do?

*Moon+, Aldiko and Gitdem. Using a Samsung tablet w. Android 7.0

8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

In terms of battle plans and longevity. I think at the end of the day, you'll need to figure that out yourself. I personally think that Skirmish as a stand alone, is better suited to an afternoon of linked battles or a single one day event. I don't think it has what it takes to be a full campaign that you run over multiple weeks, it just doesn't have the right progression system for it. 

add the progression system of Hinterlands and you are a big way under way. We decided last weekend to only apply the progression to the leader and 2 luitenants. Speeded things up and still offered us enough depth. But to be honest it was 5 linked games. (of course this was without the skirmish rules but by reading it I think we would play it the same)

I bought the epub3 version of the Skirmish book, but cannot get it to open in the Google Book app. After I uploaded the file, it just say Processing endlessly. Tried some other ebook readers* but they mess up the formatting so bad you cannot read it.
Anyone else had that problem or have an idea of what to do?

*Moon+, Aldiko and Gitdem. Using a Samsung tablet w. Android 7.0

Warhammer Digital recommends Gitden and Kobo on the android devices.

If you haven't tried it, try the Kobo ePub3 reader.

http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/Formats.html

I use Kobo.  It's a bit slow, but that just might be my tablet showing its age.

edit:  Just tried Lithium ePub reader for android.  Faster than Kobo.  Black Library epub3 files look good with it too.  I found Gitden to mess the fonts up.

Here's what I can find no explanation for. Where are the points for the Devoted of Sigmar? The Witch Hunter, which would be perfect for this game, is ruled out because he's resin. But why no Warrior Priests, Excelsior Warpriests, or Flagellants which are all plastic models?

30 minutes ago, Trout said:

Here's what I can find no explanation for. Where are the points for the Devoted of Sigmar? The Witch Hunter, which would be perfect for this game, is ruled out because he's resin. But why no Warrior Priests, Excelsior Warpriests, or Flagellants which are all plastic models?

Can you buy them off the shelf? 

Only off the shelf stuff is playable apparently 

Archived