Does a 'prayer' count as a 'spell' when cast near Sylvaneth Wyldwoods?

Nick in York

Question

Does a prayer cast by, for example, a Stormcast character trigger the wyldwood's 'Roused by Magic' ability?

This came up in the game I played today with my Sylvaneth - my first against Stormcast. As written the Wyldwood warscroll just says 'whenever a spell is successfully cast'. So I assumed that prayers wouldn't trigger it. However, my opponent chose to count the prayer as a spell, therefore triggering it.

I'm just wondering if there is a consensus on this, or what people's thoughts are.

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Nick in York said:

However, my opponent chose to count the prayer as a spell, therefore triggering it.

What a sneaky rascal!

Basically it is as already said, they are different mechanics.

Entirely different:

Prayers are (usually) single dice rolls. Prayers can't be dispelled. Priests can't dispel unless they have an artefact or (in SCE case) pray to be able to do so.

You can't choose prayers to be spells anymore than you can choose melee attacks to be ranged attacks.

Just now, Turragor said:

What a sneaky rascal!

No, sorry - I may not have been clear here. It was to his disadvantage. I'd not played against Stormcast before so didn't really know the prayer mechanics. I asked him about whether it would trigger my wyldwood's ability. Neither of us have played many games of AoS and it didn't affect the game's outcome at all in the end.

I had a similar discussion when using my Dwarf Runelord near the woods. Even though he can dispell magic, and the abilities he has are very similar to magic, they are definitely not magic and don't trigger the woods. My opponent reluctantly agreed, but he didn't seem convinced.

If you have an opponent that doesn't understand the difference between Prayers and Spells, show him the warscroll of a wizard vs a priest.

Wizard warscrolls clearly define a subsection with bold large lettering entitled 'Magic' which informs you how many spells they may cast and how many spells they may unbind, along with any special spells they may have available.

Priests do not have a subsection entitled 'Magic'.  Everything they have is listed under the subsection 'Abilities', which means that their prayer is an 'Ability', not 'Magic'.

If your opponent still doesn't agree, then you may at that point start unbinding his abilities according to his own rules. ;) 

1 hour ago, Jharen said:

If you have an opponent that doesn't understand the difference between Prayers and Spells, show him the warscroll of a wizard vs a priest.

Wizard warscrolls clearly define a subsection with bold large lettering entitled 'Magic' which informs you how many spells they may cast and how many spells they may unbind, along with any special spells they may have available.

Priests do not have a subsection entitled 'Magic'.  Everything they have is listed under the subsection 'Abilities', which means that their prayer is an 'Ability', not 'Magic'.

If your opponent still doesn't agree, then you may at that point start unbinding his abilities according to his own rules. ;) 

This came about due to both of us only having played a few games - him pretty much just Stormcast and me only with Sylvaneth so you're right in that he may not have seen wizard warscrolls and I've not seen priest scrolls.

We didn't have a diasagreement, just neither of us we sure and he chose to rule in my favour.

Thanks to this thread next time we play we can rule it correctly.

Archived