Retreat rules

Mayple

Question

I've seen people use both interpretations of this rule, so I'm just asking to get some insight into what most of you think is the proper way to make use of the retreat rule :) If that ends up being an argument that leaves no room for doubt, all the better! 

When retreating, is one subject to the normal movement limitations? As in, you must end outside of 3'' of an enemy unit, but are also unable to move through a space that is within 3'' of any enemy unit along the way (unless you can fly, but we shall assume the unit making the movement is -not- flying for the sake of argument) 

Or does a retreat liberate you from the normal limitations of movement, and you are able to move through "threatened" (within 3'' of enemy units) spaces as long as you end outside of 3'' ? 

Thanks! 

6 answers to this question

Just to be absolutely clear, does that mean I could retreat a unit past several other (not the one it was engaged with) enemy units (within 3'' of them) as long as it ends outside of 3''? 

I imagine it isn't looked upon favourably if that is the case, but it is of great use.

Looking at the FAQ the to answers above are completely right

Also to add a bit of tactical depth. This means (especially with a chance of a double turn) you can retreat 'through' a blocking opponent as long as you have the movement to do so and end up behind enemy ranks. 

On 5/14/2017 at 4:34 AM, Mayple said:

Just to be absolutely clear, does that mean I could retreat a unit past several other (not the one it was engaged with) enemy units (within 3'' of them) as long as it ends outside of 3''? 

I imagine it isn't looked upon favourably if that is the case, but it is of great use.

Yes, that's a perfect legal move.  Not only that but it's a tactic that some units seem to be designed around using.  Many skaven units offer the ability to retreat and charge in the same turn, which allows you to move around the table repositioning with some amazing speed.

Archived