Multipliers and additions to attack profile calculation order

Jaze

Question

Hi,

what is the ruling on how to deal with multipliers and additions to the attack profile as far as BODMAS vs BADMS. Specific question related to Khorne Mark of the Destroyer *2 attack characteristics interaction with other abilities that increase attack characteristic on weapons (Slay the Worthy, Slaugher Incarnate, Rage of Khorne, etc).

i figured it would be BODMAS, so base*2 the add, but many players on FB are saying its controlling players choice. What are people opinions, is their an official ruling and if not is their a tournament ruling? Generally want to get the best out of my guys but don't wish to be cheating.p

2 answers to this question

There is no solid official ruling on this stating clearly "Apply in THIS order" but I'm going to break it down with common sense as to how I see it should be applied.  I'm sure some will disagree.

First off, you must ALWAYS pay close attention to the order in which abilities are triggered.  It is far to easy to assume something is always in effect when in fact it is not.  Also it is easy to assume something is triggered when in fact it is not.

Disciple of Khorne, a command trait, does not specify a trigger or time of use for its ability.  It is then safely assumed to ALWAYS been in use.  it is not triggered nor is it activated by the controlling player.  They cannot turn it off/on.  This modifier would therefor be applied before any abilities activated during the game.

Mark of the Destroyer, a Trophy of War, is equipped before the start of the game.  It's bonus attack is not an activated ability.  It is in effect from the time you begin play until the model is removed from play.  This, like Disciple of Khorne, would be applied before any modifiers activated during the game because it is always in effect and cannot be switched on/off at will.

Because both of the above 'abilities' are gained the moment the models are put into play, you may decide which order they interact with each other.

Rage of Khorne, via the Bloodsecrator's Portal of Skulls adds 1 to the attack characteristic of Khorne models within 18" of it.  This ability is activate in your hero phase when you declare that you are activating it.  It lasts until you next hero phase.  Because this activated ability ALWAYS takes place after the above Command Trait and Trophy of War, it will ALWAYS be applied AFTER them.  It cannot have it's additional attack doubled by Mark of the Destroyer because you cannot/do not declare an activation for Mark of the Destroyer.

Archived