New rules for Forgeworld Verminlord

Umjammerlama

Aether burrow could be very useful for blitzing units across the battlefield and getting in early charges. Other than that, he sounds pretty standard apart from his potential mortal wound saves.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's very cool designi in my eyes, it depends how much you like the tunneling aspect but would give it a try if I'd fancy the model. 

For matched play I'd need to see the cost attached to this model. If it's much above 200 it becomes more difficult to competatively field I'd say. 

In general though generating extra movement can be fantastic. The thing is that for Skaven in general Chaos Alliance Sayl is such an easy pick (still).

That thing is dripping with mobility for Skaven forces in my opinion.  I'm dreading seeing it used already.  Coupling it with Sayl as mentioned above is just pure filth.  I'd expect nothing less than filthy from rats though xD

Command Ability not being there is kind of justified considering his tunnelling role. 

As said, he speeds things up, which is good.

The model is awesome, his cost is the make or break point for Matched play. Narrative is cool.

His abiliy is good but not Sayl/Settra level game breakingly good.

You can enhance strategies but not dominate tables with him.

It's a bit more conservative ruls wise, tough still highly useful and highly flavorful/fluffy.

Even has a built in Extra save!

Big win IMO. Points will deteremine viability.

I agree with the others that say points will make or break  this unit. It's got fewer wounds and less offensive capabilities than other Verminlords, though the death save will certainly help. If it's around 220-240 points it will be a welcome addition. If it's 300 points, I may get one for collecting purposes, or I may not. In game I'll stick with my Warbringer in that case.

Otherwise it seems fairly balanced. Limiting deployment shenanigans to clan rats and storm Vermin keeps it from Skyre-fire cheese. It could be fun to deploy him normally and use his spell for surprise warp lightning Cannon movement first turn.

Other than that, the only thing I am disappointed in is that I was really hoping that FW would give us a Clan Moulder Verminlord. Hopefully that is coming so each clan gets one.

What are people's thoughts on a list around this unit?

I like the suggestion about combining it with Sayl. If both cast, you could have a 46 inch threat range thanquol threat range. Or fling a hell pit forward 36 and disrupt things. Even getting warp lightning cannons into position turn one could be great. 

Thoughts? 

@bonzai Well looks cool and for Open and Narrative play that should be enough to get the mind brewing. However for Matched play we can't really say much about it other than that it can be good.

It's rules are functional and will allow you have a delayed deployment basically which can be a great advantage into stopping specific corner-board Missle Attack units.

Other than that you can also use it as a support piece who makes things faster as usual. This too can be really nice with practically anything.
As I find Narrative play to be quite faction focused, I think this is a great alternative Sayl-ish option for Skaven. If it turns out to be a cheaper variant of Verminlord (because it has no Command Ability and such) it can be really great to still have giant Wizard in there.

The cost certainly plays a role aswell, I wouldn't pick it up now because I don't play Skaven. If I where however and had an army that was tunnel-based I'd certainly try to pick one up. Though more likely would pick up a regular Verminlord first, due to cost reasons.

It actually looked to me to be going for a lot less on FW that the old cast had been on eBay.  I'd been thinking about getting one and dropping the warp crystal ball from my normal verminlord kit on the base to make a Warpseer. 

41 minutes ago, Thundercake said:

Does anyone else think the model looks great except for the hips, which whether it is because of the loincloth or because they wanted to make him sorta fat around the middle, which seem to big and flappy?

I think it's the paintjob that creates something like that. Normally the light would not be that bright at the hip location. I think that if you paint up the shadows well/realistically you wouldn't even notice that part of the sculpt much.

99560206001_ExhaltedVerminlord01.jpg99560206001_ExhaltedVerminlord06.jpg
The paintjob is good by the way, just also typical layers, which make it look slightly flatter as it really is on pictures :) 
Still though, largely due to the dramatic movement the normal Verminlord has, I'd pick that up before this one.

99120206018_Verminlord02_zpsc580f567.jpg99120206018_Verminlord04_zps525e0bf6.jpg99120206018_Verminlord01.jpg
So many options and all of them look very awesome and very menacing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived