Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

On 13.10.2017 at 6:54 PM, Drofnum said:

If you're taking a gun squad and no ships I dont see a reason to use Endrinriggers, go with Skywardens and save 40/60 points.  Could get you a Gryph hound to protect against deep strikes.

u right, but i want more pull choice

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Drofnum said:

Not sure what you mean by that.  Both squads can take Grapnel guns and skyhooks?

player that finishes setting up first always chooses who takes the first turn in the first battle round.

4 unit its a very big chance chosse  who takes the first turn.

3 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

The sky pirates are getting a runout this weekend, at the Element Games Dorset AoS Masters, see @Chris Tomlin thread here for all the details

Will do the full battle reports next week

Nice looking list, pretty similar to what I run but I have a few more allies thrown in.  Looking forward to the reports!

Game 62 vs @lhw

Scenraio : Starstrike

So Game 1 was against Laurie, and Iknew it would be tough.  Having played the sylvaeth in the past I knew they can wreck me very fast with the bow hunters.

The free woods were centre of the board, which was not too bad for me, in my deployment zone would have been worse.

I picked a central piece of terrain in my zone for prospector, which was also mystical.  I did this, gambling that the benefits would outweigh any possible 1's I rolled. I positioned her and to the left, also gambling on comets falling at least equally for scoring.

Early turn saw Laurie edging forwards, but teh bows failing for once only killing a few arkanaughts.  I replied by shooting off a unit of bow hunters.

Comet Landed LHS turn 2 (wrong side for me), and laurie was fast to re-enforce his dryads with teh Gnarlroot spell.  However his eagerness meant he set some up within range of my Gryph hound, and I shot off 10 dryads as a result.  This gave him pause for thought and he went defensive, jumping everything back, waiting for turn 3.

I was able to advance somewhat, and position for turn 3.

Comets landed centre his side, and RHS for me.  This wasnt too bad, both RHS and I think I just won the game there pretty much, both LHS and he won.

He kept drycha and the dryads on the left (which was enough of a detterant that any slim chances of me going for it were gone from my mind).
Bows scythes and revs, moved to cover his objective, bows killed a few more arkanaughts.  

I moved up now pushing 20 arkanaughts into the ironclad.  I shot off 2 scythes, but crucially not the 3rd.

Score was 8-3 end turn 3

Laurie got priority, pushed 2 scythes at me but crucially failed his charge, bows did 4 wounds on ironclad.  He scored 8 points.

I pushed the 12 balloons out, as well as the 20 arkanaughts.  I managed to shoot off the spite revs, and kill the 2 remaining scythes.
Balloons all charged the objective and I killed all bar 1 of the bow hunters. so I claimed it, I scored 8 points

Score 16-11 to Laurie.

If I get the turn I kill the last bow hunter, push out my balloons so he can't get to the objective and effectively tying the game winning on a minor.

I roll a 5, Lauire gets out his special green turn dice and rolls a 6!

He pushes up with aincient, and regrows a hunter.  I still have the objective and he needs to kill stuff (which is not certain).  Hwoever he jumps his dryads through the woods and uses his special green dice again - another 6!

Thsi wins him teh game as he can just charge the dryads in and claim it easily.

We play out the final turn for KP, he gets 0, (his attacks did fluff vs the balloons!)  I got 1200ish.

We tracked KP for the final ranking of places 5-8 potentially, but being a KO cup they were largely irrelivant.

Final result: major loss

Conclusions: That cursed dice! Seriously I hate those FW dice, last game I played Laurie he rolled 4 6's out of 5 for priority with it (he only has 1 and uses it for key rolls).  Literally a 6 followed by a 6 won him the game!  It was close throughout, I hadn't played the overlords in a while, but after this have gotten some mojo back for them.  Mystical helped me a lot, I flaied 1 test, at a not crucial moment.

Game 62 vs @Tom Hutchings

Scenario: Battle for The Pass

Tom was running my GT Finals list, the lightning eschelon.

He deployed senisibly, judicators guarding his objective, line of dracoths in the middlle.  I put boat on left, 20,10 arks on right, demi gryphs on each flank.

Gave Tom turn 1, he moved dracoths to LH opposite boat, and fleetmaster to Rh objective getting 5 points.

My turn 1 I got lucky and shot off the Dracoth lord, with mirror shield.  rolled 5 6's to hit!.  This was game changing, all of his saves dropped, and I took out 2 Fulminators.  RUnning demi gryphs and unloading balloons I got 5 points back, and locked 2 tempestors in combat.

5-5

Tom got turn 2 and moved up to threaten my 20 and 10 arkanaughts.  Luckily for me he rolled badly so all my skyhooks survived.  He did little in combat on LHS by killed teh demi gryph to reclaim RHS objective. He scored 3 points

My turn I shot off all bar 1 fulminator, scoring 5 points.

I got priority turn 3 and Tom called it, he said he couldn't come back, and he was probably right, I would just score side objectives and with just Judicators he couldn't really prevent it.

Result: Major Victory

Conclusions, my dice were on fire, Tom rolled Ok for saves, but couldn't hit with the cav.  A double turn 1-2 for me would have prob seen it end even faster.  I had forgotten how brutal overlords are if the dice go your way.

• 1 month later...

cap’n @Paul Bucklera quick question for you as an experienced sky fleet operator are the grappling hooks really  worth it? The give up of effectivly 2 lots of weapons (as I imagine you would take 2 in a 6 Dorf unit else it’s too risky on the 4+) to me seems a high price. I can obviously see the benefit of the extra movement but how do you find it plays out in the games themselves (once or twice a game etc...) 

thanks owe you a rum 

10 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

cap’n @Paul Bucklera quick question for you as an experienced sky fleet operator are the grappling hooks really  worth it? The give up of effectivly 2 lots of weapons (as I imagine you would take 2 in a 6 Dorf unit else it’s too risky on the 4+) to me seems a high price. I can obviously see the benefit of the extra movement but how do you find it plays out in the games themselves (once or twice a game etc...) 

thanks owe you a rum 

Movement is awesome.  I run 1 and 5 normal guys, and risk it.  2 increases your chance but still very easy to roll under 4 twice.  At M12 plus 3" bonus from diembark they are very fast anyways.  I started off with grapple and drill cannon, but soon dropped the cannon. @Cowboy Boots Mattis now running 6 in his stormcast as allies with a single grapple, they work great for him.

Archived