Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

13 hours ago, Hannibal said:

The second one. A named skyport gives you some really strong abilities you won´t get otherwise. That´s the trade.

Though you still get your artifact(s).

Thanks! You mean the artifact that provided the port + the extra that for example urbaz allows?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 58 vs Sam Davies

Scenario Duality of Death

Game 2 I was drawn vs Sam Davies, who was playing Blades of Khorne!  Sam is well known as a Stormcast player on teh scene, so this was a big change for him.  He was running gorepligrims alongside 2 big 30 man bloodletter units

The board was littered with mystical terrain, Sam deployed his letters either flank, with priests and banner centrally, his mighty lord on the LH flank.

I went RH Flank heavy, with everything in that half.

I gave Sam turn 1 and he moved up, unfortunately the marauders failed mystical and blocked in 1 unit of letters.  he managed to run his mighty lord on to 1 point and score 1

My go I was just in range of his bloodsecrator when I disembarked and moved, so I shot him off with the skyhooks,  the rest of teh army focused on bloodletters.   WHittling him down to about half size in 1 unit.  I got the ironclad onto the other objective to score a point.

Score 1-1

Turn 2 I won priority and took it.  I shot the Mighty Lord of Khorne off his objective, whilst killing the half strength unit of bloodletters.  I created a shield around my ironclad with the riggers and wardens.  I scored 2 pts.

Sam failed a key mystical again which kept the bloodletters from moving, he move dhis Slaughterpriests up to the objective and blood warriors forwards.  He scored 1 point

Score 3-2 to me

Sam got priority Turn 3 and hit my arkanaughts with his bloodcrushers, his bloodletters finally moved up to threaten my ironclad.  He scored 2 points

My go I used the hero phase shooting to remove the unit of bloodcrushers, and then shot his Mr Whippy and the slaughterpriest near the objective killing both.  A combination of shooting and charges from the endrinriggers killed the bloodletters.  I scored 3 points

Score 6-4 to me

I got priority turn 4 and killed his remaing heros.  We playe dteh game out for VP, but I got a Major victory

Result: Major Victory

Conclusions:  Khorne is a great matchup for Overlords, when not in the murderhost.  No shooting back means you can pick off units at will, and this scenario means they kill the heroes really easily.  One of those mis-matched games I guess.

Game 59 vs Carl Smith

Scenario Battle for the Pass

Carl is the Fireslayer king, he has been playing them since the start and consistently doing well even in their old form.  I played him earlier in the year and scraped a narrow win with the Soulgrinder list I was running.  HE was out for vengence, and I was looking to see what teh new Fireslayers were like.

He had 3 magmadroths, 2 big units of vulkites and 1 of Hearthguard. 

I took turn 1 and shot his line of hearthguard, he made soem great 4 up wards to keep most alive.   Using a rune he added +4 to the slayers move so teh sprinted accross the board easily getting into charge range for turn 2.  It did however bring all his buff characters into range of my shooting.

Sadly he got turn 2, and pushed hard, killing a fair number of arkanaughts, hoever the skyhooks remained.  he did score another 5 points though so led 10-5 going into my turn.

Urbaz shooting and normal shooting removed 2 of the magmadroths, and put me in a good place for turn 3.  He killed 1 unit of arkanaught units.  Score 10-6 to him

He won turn 3 however, and one of the runes he can use is immune to battleshock for his whole army, which he pushed again towards my 4 pointer,  I managed to hold him up but basically had ironclad characters and 1 unit of riggers left.  I killed a lot of slayers this go but they don;t run away anymore!  so he was free to push up onto mine turn 5 for a comfortable win, 29-7 in the end I think.

Result Major Loss

Slayers are good, really good.  Chatting to Carl afterwards I said he had a great podium chance, humble as every he disagreed, (he got 3rd in the end and best order!)

The no battelshock antics make them really dependable now, which is huge.  Tehy can all get plus 1 rend for a turn, the movement means tunneling is not necessarily needed, all in all they are a very good army now.  Add in some dispossed shooting allies as well and you have a really great competative option.

Game 60 vs John Greene

Scenario Scorched earth.

John was at his first event, running a dreadwood Sylvaneth list. Drycha, aincient, 6 scythes 3 bows and the 4x5 spite revs, 10 dryads.

Deployment I kinda went boat, 10/20 arks in the centre Ignoring my RH objective completely.  John spread out.

Dreadwood teleport is nasty, he jumped his scythes over and turn 1 charged the boat, luckily he couldn't surround it so most stuff escaped!  he scored 3 points fo rhis objectives

After that in my go I killed his 6 scythes in return.  Grapple on the riggers worked and I was able to take the objective on his left. He had greatly reduced my mobility though so I was reliant on the wardens and riggers to get his objectives. I scored 4

Score 5-3 to me.

Turn 2 I luckily got the double, this allowed the riggers and wardens to take his Central objective killing bow hunters that were on it.  I slowly moved up with my arkanaughts, protecting the 2 objective I was concentrating on.  I scored 5 points.

His turn 2 he ported Aincient onto my RHS objective as well as dryads.  He tried a 11 inch charge (gryph hound pushed him back so he couldn;t get the 9) but failed.  he didn;t burn that objective.  He scored 2 points.

Score 10-5 to me

Turn 3 he got priority and moved Dryads at my centre, the spites on his LHS objective circled up.  He killed some arkanaughts, but I hit back in return.  Burning the objective on my side he scored 4 points. 

My turn I killed his Spites, who were cirlcing his RHS objetive, whilst shooting off dryads and wounding Aincient.  I scored 3 points, not burning the objective held by riggers and wardens.

Score 13-9 to me

He got the turn  4  but only had aincient left.  he pushed at my army, charging and killed a decent amount of arkanaughts, however not enough to grab my objective.  He scored 0 points

My turn 4 I burnt his last objective and shot off the aincient, ending the game

Score 17-9 to me

Result Major Victory

Conclusions:  John was such a great opponent, and was really enjoyu=ing his first event.  We chatted loads about his build afterwards, he had no way of genetrating more woods easily, relying on the 4+ treeman.  He is going to give drycha the summon woods spell in future.  The arkanaughts work exactly as I hoped, and I had been in every game so far, 2 wins 2 losses (so I had hit my target of 2 wins already, game 5 was a bonus either way)

26 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Very nice reports. :)

Your Fyreslayer battle was interesting. What do you think you could have done?

BTW has your list changed and do you plan to modify it?

Should have deployed back further, could have sat away from my objective and shot a lot more.  Would have given up 4 pts, but saved my forces to grab some back later game.

Palladors/Hounds and 10 Arkanaughst swap will happen next, but need to paint the palladors.  Got another 5 events this year so need to get my armies ready for that.  Can't see that change being done until next year now

Game 61 vs @Ben Johnson

Scenario Starstrike.

Final game of the weekend was vs Ben and his Flesh Eaters army.  We had been following eachother around the tables for most of the event so it was kinda inevitable we would play last game. 

He was running a big block of Crypt Horrors, 2 outflanking Flayers, 30 ghouls,10 Ghouls a boss on Terrogeist (I think) and a couple more support characters.

There were about 6/7 mystical terrain pieces so it was everywhere this game.

He deployed out of range of my skyhooks,  and cunningly did nothing turn 1.  We basically waited for comet 1 to arrive before doing anything.

Turn 2 it dropped left hand side,  he gave me the turn and I couldnt; really reach it this go so had to hope for a better drop turn 3.  I managed to kill a couple of horrors after moving up. Ben had pretty much everything that side barring his Horrors and Boss, so moved the big unit of ghouls towards it.  He gambled on a double turn and pushed his boss and horros forwards.

Turn 3 the comets landed his left hand edge and my centre.  He had his Horrors, and now 2 flayer units blocking everything of mine from getting accross the board.  Using teh double he hit my arkanaughts and kiled a lot.  Thankfully the prospector kept enough alive that in my go I could kill his boos and take down some horrors.  flayers were rubbish, Ben rolled dreadfully which helped my keep in the game.  My riggers failed a mystical roll keeping them pinned.

Score end of turn 3 was 8-3 to Ben.

Turn 4 he got the turn, which was massive, he killed most of my arkanaughts and the wardens., this let him claim all 3 for 12 points.  My turn my riggers failed mystical again which pretty much ended the game for me.  But I did manage to reduce his Horrors down in number.  I score 0 points.

Score 20-3 to Ben

Turn  5 he got priority and Scored 15 pts, my go I finished off everything bar the Big unit of ghouls and 1 ghoul Character.  But whilst I had killed a lot of Bens army, the game was lost.

Result Major Loss

Conclusions:  Turn rolls and espicially mystical really didn't help me here.  Comets drop on RHS and I win the game easily, but 2 came down on the left.  ben played well, he kept out of range until he knew where the comets were, then moved accordingly.  The mystical on the riggers 2 turns in a row was particularily influential.  Was a fun game, great way to finish the weekend.

10 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Should have deployed back further, could have sat away from my objective and shot a lot more.  Would have given up 4 pts, but saved my forces to grab some back later game.

Palladors/Hounds and 10 Arkanaughst swap will happen next, but need to paint the palladors.  Got another 5 events this year so need to get my armies ready for that.  Can't see that change being done until next year now

Why the Palladors?  just mobility?  I havent ran in to anyone playing them so i'm not sure what their combat ability really is, they dont look too bad though.  

On 29/09/2017 at 10:15 PM, Hespineira said:

Hello. If I have two aether khemist, can I use the buff from each one on the same Unit (example on the arkanauts)? And if I have one khemist with barak urbaz ability, can I use its two bufs over the same Unit? Thanks!

No and No, both are written pretty clearly in the rules and FAQ now

14 minutes ago, Hespineira said:

So there is not possibility of giving the arkanauts more than one buff? Thanks

FAQ (or Rules Errata as they call it) states a weapon can only be augmented more than once per hero phase.  So technically you can buff a unit more than once, but you would be buffing different weapons in the unit.  This can be usefull if you have a spare buff and the enemy is in range of the Arkanauts pistols.

Game 61 vs Matt darkins

Scenario Battle for the Pass

Matts new to AOS and this is our first game at club.  Hes running a mixed stormcast list with a Stardrake, 2 fulminators, 3 judicators, Venator, Lord on dracoth, Liberators, 3 Hurricane longstrikes, 3 Mortal wound longstrikes

I deployed around my mobjective, 2 units of 20 on the prospector scenery piece, hooks on 24 line. 1 unit behind with gryph hounds protecting the flanks from dropping units.  He put 3 MW longstrikes in a bulding near his objective, Drake nearby, along with Venator.  Teh rest in the sky 

I went first and shot the Longstrikes, killing them, move Gryph hound to LH objective, and jumped out wardens to other objective.  Scored 5 points.

He dropped Judicators into building to replace Longstrikes, The fulmnators, 5 Liberators and Dracoth lord on RH side to try and charge wardens. Matt shot off 1 gryph hound and a couple of arkanaughts, but failed his charges. he scored 1 point.

Score 5-1 to me

I got priority.  Riggers jumped out, I shot the judicators from the tower, grappled over to his objective with wardens. Got  5 or so arkanaughts near to the RH objective  Killed 1 fulminator with shooting, riggers totally messed up their attacks (2 hits from all their attacks), but I did damage the remaining fulminator a bit more.  I socred 9 points.

Matt dropped his final unit of Judicators on the RH flank, and killed some more arkanaughts, Drake moved up on RH side. he killed some riggers in combat, I killed the last fulminator.  His lord was no longer locked in though.  He also shot off 3 wardens.  Luckily I still held his objective.  He scored 0 points.

Score 14-1 to me

Matt got the double though, and his lord was out of combat.  He hit my lines on the RH objectiev but messed up his attacks, leaving me outnumbering him still.  On the left teh drake hit 10 arkanaughts and killed them, while the judicators chipped away at the 20.  He grabbed that objective. Matt scored 2 points.

My turn 3 I finished off his lord with urbaz shooting, and no trading. I shot off his  hurricane longstrikes, and retreated from the drake, my ironclad took care of the last unit of judicators.  Luckily my lone warden still held his objective. I scored 7 points

Score 21-1 to me.

Turn 4 I got the turn, pushed boat to block off his drake, and shot off teh last of the liberators. I scored 7 points, and was too far ahead now.  We played on though, and he pushed the drake into the ironclad to see what would happen, and it just muched away but failed to kill  it by the end of turn 5.

Result: Major Victory

Conclusions, really it went well, the boat can hold up the drake for a turn or 2 depending on luck.  Apart from that I think it went well.  Was a fun game, great to finally play Matt.

hi I'm considering starting 1000 pt of kharadron, with 30 arkanaut as base. Two question on special weapon, I was considering using 3x of each, but you use basically only skyhooks. Are the other choices too poor and underwhelming in respect of them? And in case, how you find all the extra skyhooks, as each arkanaut box should have only one? What do you think about the new thunderers? I was considering a 10 unit full equipped in 2x.

Good choice!

Others are OK, just compared to skyhooks they are underwhelming.  Multi shot in mixed order with hurricanium are tasty, thanks to the +1 to hit.  Combat are decent, but wardens do it better.

I converted all my from kit bashing.

Thunderers now I would look at the basic weapon as the mainstay with an occasional special thrown in, so 4 and 1 ethercannon maybe.  Compared to the balloons or arkanaughts they dont really have a huge role now.

21 minutes ago, Daniel saxcloud said:

hi I'm considering starting 1000 pt of kharadron, with 30 arkanaut as base. Two question on special weapon, I was considering using 3x of each, but you use basically only skyhooks. Are the other choices too poor and underwhelming in respect of them? And in case, how you find all the extra skyhooks, as each arkanaut box should have only one? What do you think about the new thunderers? I was considering a 10 unit full equipped in 2x.

Ive used all 3 in a few games and the skyhooks are much more usable.

Volley guns can do well but 5+ to hit is low, and its unlikely you will have a hero or monster you can target for the bonus that will have a low enough save for many wounds to go through (not much point shooting what you cant kill), plus of course the Khemist buff doesnt do much for them.

Skypikes are good if you can get them in combat, i tried a unit of 10 with 3 pikes and they did well as a screen for my frigate against charges (if the unit doesnt get wiped out before they get to attack). Benefit well from Khemist buff.

Skyhooks though, they have range, good chance to hit and wound and good rend. Only 1 each shot so benefit from the Khemist buff, which can make 3 of them in a unit of 10 dangerous. When you have 9 of them in a unit of 30 with a Khemist on hand, they will slaughter anything in range, hordes, elites, heros, they dont care.

So hooks are best, especially with a Khemist.  Other weapons work, they are just more situational in my opinion.

i use same base in my list^^

more daka

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 

Battleline
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)