Hi there folks, first post here and wanted to say this has been a very useful thread for me.

Some of the lists looked so fun I went and bought up enough to make a few of them.

Just had 2 quick questions and the first is more of a basic rules one I suspect. If, for example, I took x2 ghast courtiers could I use both of them to recover lost ghouls in the same turn?

The the other was more related to a comment earlier in the thread that made me think I missed something. Can the grim garland only be taken by a ghoul king on TG or can others use it, say a GK on ZD?

Cheers

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the idea of running Ghoul Patrol with the new changes. Maybe something like this:

AGKoTG: general, Grim Garland, Completely Delusional, 400

Crypt Ghast Courtier: Flayed Pennant, 80

Crypt Ghouls x40: 360

Crypt Ghouls x30: 300

Crypt Ghouls x10: 100

Terrorgheist: 300

Terrorgheist: 300

Ghoul Patrol Batallion: 150

Total: 1990

The list let's me put minimal units on the table and is designed to keep the bats unmolested until they can get into range. With the patrol infiltration and the pennant ability, you're getting pretty guaranteed turn1 charges to tie up whatever threatens the bats before they can get into range.

Mind you this is just a theory. I've not put models on the table in a year, but GH17 seems like a good time to get back into AoS so I'm trying to decide on an army.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:40 AM, Waizer said:

Just had 2 quick questions and the first is more of a basic rules one I suspect. If, for example, I took x2 ghast courtiers could I use both of them to recover lost ghouls in the same turn?

The wording on the muster ability is pretty weird compared to how other abilities tend to be worded in AoS but I believe they would both roll to recover lost ghouls yes. You probably don't want to blow 160 points on two heroes that don't really do anything except regrow ghouls, mind.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:40 AM, Waizer said:

Can the grim garland only be taken by a ghoul king on TG or can others use it, say a GK on ZD?

Any hero can take any item, but you can only have one instance of that item in your army. So if you happen to have both ghoul kings on monsters and give the zombie dragon the grim garland and take a battalion to unlock a second artifact you couldn't then give another grim garland to the terrorgheist. 

22 minutes ago, flowerpot_chimp said:

The wording on the muster ability is pretty weird compared to how other abilities tend to be worded in AoS but I believe they would both roll to recover lost ghouls yes. You probably don't want to blow 160 points on two heroes that don't really do anything except regrow ghouls, mind.

Well if the list is all about Ghouls its not a bad idea. Though a Varghulf does the same thing but is way better in a fight

32 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Well if the list is all about Ghouls its not a bad idea. Though a Varghulf does the same thing but is way better in a fight

Yeah I should have made this more clear in my comment. Even if you're going big into a huge ghoul patrol, the Varghulf is faster to actually catch up to your patrol as well.

Thanks for the rules help guys :)

I do have enough models on the way to do a full on ghoul horde so might use multiple ghasts and a varghulf for a more fluffy/friendly list... although how friendly 120 ghouls with constant army regeneration from multiple sources can be is up for debate 

I had a fun game today against seraphon with the following list :

GKoTG, general, delusional, blood river chalice

Ghoul king

Varghulf Courtier

Crypt Ghast Courtier, flayed pennant

Necromancer

40× Ghouls

20x Ghouls

10x Ghouls

Ghoul Patrol

Terrorgheist

we played battleplan2, and I won in the end (he gave up in turn 4).

I will write a battle report later if you are interested :)

31 minutes ago, Glaurung said:

Why the Garland in a zombie Dragon? I think the Calice could be better.

I'm not sold in 10 man ghouls units

Just to help the terrorgheists damage. Prefer ZD spell but could argue for the 4th gheist. Chalice is ok just one use I don't like much.

just chaff screen in this list.

20 hours ago, tea_wild_owl said:

I had a fun game today against seraphon with the following list :

GKoTG, general, delusional, blood river chalice

Ghoul king

Varghulf Courtier

Crypt Ghast Courtier, flayed pennant

Necromancer

40× Ghouls

20x Ghouls

10x Ghouls

Ghoul Patrol

Terrorgheist

we played battleplan2, and I won in the end (he gave up in turn 4).

I will write a battle report later if you are interested :)

Would love to read that battle report :D

16 hours ago, James Ramsay said:

My list is similar to one already posted:

GK on ZD -2bravery completely delusional

varghulf +3 charge

3x10 ghouls

3 terrorgheists

Royal menagerie 

90 summoning for banshee or courtier using command ability.

I have a v similar list I'm working on atm. In fact apart from the fact I think I spent the spare points rather than summoning it's pretty much the same.

Had the same thinking as you did. The AGKoZD is there to support the TG's whilst still being a big threat itself. Unique spell allows for rerolls to wound so getting that big 6 mortal wounds from the bite attack off more often and the grim garland making the scream much more effective on the TG's. 10 man ghoul units are a bit weak, but the way I saw it was that any shooting directed at my backfield objective takers is shooting that isn't going into my killing units which by turn1 (or 2 at the latest) will be right in amongst my opponents lines causing havoc.

as promised here is the battle report for my game against seraphon. my opponent did not play a very competitive list since we both wanted to test our army with new ghb17 rules. 

my opponent played an eternal starhost (5 - 5 - 15 saurus guards), a bastilodon with solar engine, 3 and 2 razordons with handlers, eternity warden, sunblood (general), 40 saurus warriors, skink priest with aoe save reroll, skink starpriest.

my list was as described above. the main intention was to grab objectives with ghouls and do some havoc with buffed terrorgheists.

we rolled scenario #2 (the one with the oddly shaped deployment zones)

I placed my ghoul patrol off the board and placed my heroes in the centre of my side (It felt somehow strange to only have 5 models on the field...^^)

he placed the big block of saurus warriors on the left objective, one unit of 5 saurus guard on the right side with a unit of 3 razordon and handlers, the rest bunkered down in the middle of his side.

I finished first, allowing him to get the first turn despite the risk of him buffing and controlling the field.

turn 1:

luckily, he failed his skink priest safe reroll. he casts mystic shield on his bastilodon. he teleport it onto the objective on my left side and shoots at my general, causing only 1 wound. he moves his small units on the right side to capture the objective, the rest stays still for buffs. he scores 3 points.

3 - 0

both my terrorgheists are next to a damned terrain: I sacrifice d3 damage, heal d3 damage. my general keeps 1 damage and the other gheist gets fully healed. I failed my generals spell for extra save, but get mystical shield and +1 attacks from my ghoul king onto my general. my opponent placed well so I could not come with my ghouls on his side, so I chose the left side. my necromancer captures the right objective, the rest runs forward.

thanks to the flayed pennant granting +3" on charges, my block of 40 ghouls manages to charge his warriors, the block of 20 get to the bastilodon. my general charges into his centre force but only gets in contact with the most right guard model. my 2nd tg fails his charge.

since my general is in no big danger (only a few guards are able to reach him) I start with my ghouls. I can get 28 models in range, granting me 84 attacks. 26 get wounds, which causes to 20 dead warriors.

he attacks with 3 eternal guards, causing 5 damage at my general. he hits back into the big block of 15 guards. remember that he is now buffed with +1atk each, +1 to hit from terrain. however he saves all with his 2+ safe guatds, except the mawl: 4 attacks, 4 hits, 3 wounds (sadly no 6 for mortals...), he failed 2 saves due to the-2 rend, and for the 2d6 damage i roll... double 6!! which means 12 dead guards in 1 round :D (lucky me). the rest is less spectacular: 1 wound on bastilodon and general, a few dead ghouls. In the end 12 additional warrior run due to battleshock (he inspired his big guard block). my ghouls stole the objective from bastilodon, which gives me 2 points and 1 from my necro:

3 - 3

turn 2:

I win the initative roll with a 6 against a 5, granting me the double turn. my general heals 3 wounds, he got fully buffed by spells (5+ save, shield, +1 attack), my ghouls got back to full strength. my tg actually got 1 mortal wound with his scream on a model. my necromancer runs forward closer to the front line (to be able to migate some damage) next to my gk on foot. my varghulf charged into the guards to distract some attacks from my general. my 2nd tg manages to charge the block of 5 guards on the right. my opponent tried to fire with the islanders behind them, but failed. both tg did not get a single wound against his 2+ safe guards (no 6 on maw wounds). the ghouls kill the remaining warriors, bastilodon get 3 more wounds. through pile in my ghouls could steal his left objective (2 points for me now) which gives me 4 this round.

7:3

in his round he manages to get his priests save rerolls on all near units (at least what was left so far). he casts the -1 to hit on my general. he teleport his bastilodon away from the ghouls on the left side onto the objective on the right side and steals it from me. he shoots everything onto my GKoTG, leaving him at 3wounds left. he charges my general with his sumblood and my varghoul with the eternity warden. he attacks my general with the remaining guards, leaving him at 1 wounds (lucky sage rolls for me). my general attacks the sunblood and kills him with 6 mortals from the bite and a few dmg from the gk attacks. his other guard manages to kill my general, who in turn kills a few guards with his dying ability. my other tg manages to kill his block of 5 guard with 6 mortals from the maw. my tg is left at 8 wounds from razordon attacks. he scores 3 points

7:6

turn 3:

he seizes the initiative, does some damage, but only kills my varghulf and necromancer, my tg is down to 4 wounds. my tg kills his razordon, leaving only his handlers on the objective. he gets 2 points.

7:8

in my turn my tg heals back to 6 wounds , my ghouls would run toward him. however, he surrenders without any change at killing 70 ghouls and my tg with his remaining models. i would get 4 points when taking the objectives hold by the handlers.

end result: 12:8

In the end it was a very fun game with lots of lucky rolls on my side. I totally forgot to roll for feeding frenzy the whole game, and additionally I forgot the d6 heal artefact on my general... and I was lucky that he did not play a slann or starstrike. we will have some more games with adapted lists, so I may write more reports in the future. however, the biggest benefit from the new gh17 rules was the flayed pennand, which allowed my ghouls to reach the enemy in turn 1 where I wanted them.

and here are some pictures, which I forgot to take in the heat of the battle later :D

20170916_121952.jpg

20170916_121959.jpg

20170916_125305.jpg

20170916_130530.jpg

Yes..i feel the Royal Menagerie is now strong in this thread

On 9/17/2017 at 4:34 AM, Waizer said:

Would love to read that battle report :D

I have a v similar list I'm working on atm. In fact apart from the fact I think I spent the spare points rather than summoning it's pretty much the same.

Had the same thinking as you did. The AGKoZD is there to support the TG's whilst still being a big threat itself. Unique spell allows for rerolls to wound so getting that big 6 mortal wounds from the bite attack off more often and the grim garland making the scream much more effective on the TG's. 10 man ghoul units are a bit weak, but the way I saw it was that any shooting directed at my backfield objective takers is shooting that isn't going into my killing units which by turn1 (or 2 at the latest) will be right in amongst my opponents lines causing havoc.

Yep..my list is just that for the reasons you explained.  With all 4 monsters close to eachother you get that heal and free move which could give you a alpha strike of epic killiness 

16 hours ago, Superking said:

Hello all. My partner has bought me the Start  Collecting! and the Nightfeast Hunter set. Could anyone recommend a 1000 point list with those models?

If you have both those sets I'd personally go for:

Ghoul King on Terrorgheist - Grim Garland

Crypt Ghast Courtier

x10 man crypt ghoul unit

x10 man crypt ghoul unit

x3 crypt flayers

x3 crypt flayers

That's 1000pts on the nose.

Keep the flayers next to the TG and use their screams with the -2 bravery from the artefact to do some good damage in the shooting phase then lay into them in the combat phase. Battleline is a little weak, but hopefully the ghast can be kept out of sight and trouble long enough for you to keep recovering some of the lost models each hero phase.

With this aswell you'll have 9 spare ghouls to build up. You could make a few more ghast courtiers or buy the parts missing on ebay (1 set of legs, 1 body and 1 head) to make a new unit of 10 ghouls.

Hey guys, in the middle of starting my FEC, going Horror heavy with a big block of Ghouls coming along for the ride. Going to be a fun project to do with no end goal in sight, means I can expand into Death as well as I've not got a Death army yet.

I have a feeling I know how this is meant to be played out but how does the Horror's Noble Blood work? Says each Crypt Horror heals 1 Wound in each hero phase. Do people play it that unit heals 1 wound (how I think it should be done) or do you heal 1 wound for each Crypt Horror model in the unit so could heal a unit of 6 which has a model on 1 wound left to full wounds again?

Cheers!

Chalmers

7 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Are decent 1K and 2K  lists possible without a Zombie Dragon or Terrorgheist?

Yeah, FEC are very versatile IMHO.
You wlil always need a ghoul king, because the synergies are very strong, but there are many builds that do not require a big monster.
You could simply run a deadwatch army, or spamming big units of ghouls and horrors.
I play the monsters because I like them, they are good, but not an obbligatory choice.

Archived