DoT...new player with some questions.

Kimbo

Hi! I just got my hands on some theench stuff..and im utterly confused...

Im going to a tournament in a few weeks. How would you play tzeench at a competitive level? And why?

As im not sure on how i want to play them in the end...do you got a good starting list for 2k that still works in an competitive environment but got abit of everything? Consider me as a new player but i learn easy.

How do you personaly think they work best? (Heavy magic, range and so on..)

Any tip on what is good and what generally is bad units? Would mean alot!

Cheers! 

Hi Kimbo! Welcome in the realm of Chaos.
As is Tzeentch has allready covered a lot of events with massively powerful results. I do not play Tzeentch myself but respect and hate them ;) 

My rundown of your questions:
- One of the most powerful abilities for Tzeentch is the Battle Trait, you basically get to roll 9 dice and can swap these with other dice rolled during the game, technically they are 9 specific rolls but you'll see how powerful that is if you suddenly have 3-4 5 and 6's to use whenever you need them.
- On top of that Tzeentch has an extremely powerful ranged game in Tzaangor Skyfires, arguably an undercosted unit in the way Missle attacks work now.
- Tzeentch has a very potent Daemonic game.
- You can blend in Cultists to your liking really on top of that. 

What makes Tzeentch cool in my eyes is the dice manipulation and extremely potent Magic. So if you like slinging spells whilst not being a slouch in melee either you'll like Desciples of Tzeentch :)  It's very well fleshed out and very powerful, arguably the most powerful 'proven' Chaos faction as we speak. 

As for bad and good units or overall reviews, I'm sure there is a lot of information found here in this topic:

Cheers,

32 minutes ago, Killax said:

Hi Kimbo! Welcome in the realm of Chaos.
As is Tzeentch has allready covered a lot of events with massively powerful results. I do not play Tzeentch myself but respect and hate them ;) 

My rundown of your questions:
- One of the most powerful abilities for Tzeentch is the Battle Trait, you basically get to roll 9 dice and can swap these with other dice rolled during the game, technically they are 9 specific rolls but you'll see how powerful that is if you suddenly have 3-4 5 and 6's to use whenever you need them.
- On top of that Tzeentch has an extremely powerful ranged game in Tzaangor Skyfires, arguably an undercosted unit in the way Missle attacks work now.
- Tzeentch has a very potent Daemonic game.
- You can blend in Cultists to your liking really on top of that. 

What makes Tzeentch cool in my eyes is the dice manipulation and extremely potent Magic. So if you like slinging spells whilst not being a slouch in melee either you'll like Desciples of Tzeentch :)  It's very well fleshed out and very powerful, arguably the most powerful 'proven' Chaos faction as we speak. 

As for bad and good units or overall reviews, I'm sure there is a lot of information found here in this topic:

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply :)!

Any experienced player with this army that can give me a balanced list for 2k to start of with? Alittle dirty is what i and my meta like!

34 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Thanks for the reply :)!

Any experienced player with this army that can give me a balanced list for 2k to start of with? Alittle dirty is what i and my meta like!

Your welcome, don't know why but the Chaos forums seem silent these days :P 

In any case, I think for 2K you can't really go wrong with 9 Skyfires and if you want to keep it mono Tzeentch and severly snipe out all your opponents Heroes quickly you can even crank that up to 15-18. They are incredible for their costs (too incredible honestly) considering the way they can hit with ease and, due to Fate dice, almost always remove what you need to have removed by turn 1.

However to me, like Blades of Khorne, it seems like a lot of the choices are legit and the combinations make or break it for you. I know that someone running mono-Daemon not only had fun but won a tournament aswell. 

A personal thing that's always important to me is to pick the models you really like. Paint them up and enjoy that proces is a very important part of the hobby.

8 hours ago, Killax said:

Your welcome, don't know why but the Chaos forums seem silent these days :P 

In any case, I think for 2K you can't really go wrong with 9 Skyfires and if you want to keep it mono Tzeentch and severly snipe out all your opponents Heroes quickly you can even crank that up to 15-18. They are incredible for their costs (too incredible honestly) considering the way they can hit with ease and, due to Fate dice, almost always remove what you need to have removed by turn 1.

However to me, like Blades of Khorne, it seems like a lot of the choices are legit and the combinations make or break it for you. I know that someone running mono-Daemon not only had fun but won a tournament aswell. 

A personal thing that's always important to me is to pick the models you really like. Paint them up and enjoy that proces is a very important part of the hobby.

Would the tzeench work well with slaves to darkness? Lets say i use Skyfires and then fill it with Slaves..as u said i want to use the models i like and I really love Slaves to darkness but they seem so weak, are they?

I got both khorne and tzeench and slaves units. So im thinking of mixing...any tip? Khorne/Slaves or Tzeench/Slaves?

If you want to play very competitive, there are only few viable options. Skyfire spam + shaman, that's for sure, then you can add 20 tzaangors if you like or just more skyfires, same goes for the Lord of Change. I think 18 skyfires is enough, then you should fill to 2k with Tzaangors + Marauders and LoC if you got spare points. Gaunt is very good for his points.

Avoid daemons, slaves to darkness and acolytes, they are just plain bad and uncompetitive.  Also don't waste points on battalions, not a single one is worth taking, sadly.

@Cookiez covered the most of it. I do think that you can still use Slaves to Darkness, all Daemons and Acolytes however. It's more that there is a significant top end, but that top end is so good that you can manage well with mixing in some things that are a little worse.

Lord of Change and Skyfires are extremely good examples of fantastic Units but because of that it isn't bad to add some that isn't on that exact level. Largely because the whole game doesn't present too many models who are on that exact level ;) 

On 5/8/2017 at 11:53 PM, Cookiez said:

Avoid daemons, slaves to darkness and acolytes, they are just plain bad and uncompetitive.  Also don't waste points on battalions, not a single one is worth taking, sadly.

Cookiez, i have to disagree with you in regards to demons not being competitive. they very much are and here is a list that Kimbo can consider:

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Lord Of Change (300)
- General
Lord Of Change (300)
The Changeling (140)
The Blue Scribes (120)
Herald Of Tzeentch (120)
- Staff of Change 
Gaunt Summoner (100)

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (140)

Units
20 x Blue Horrors Of Tzeentch (100)
10 x Blue Horrors Of Tzeentch (50)
20 x Brimstone Horrors Of Tzeentch (80)
10 x Brimstone Horrors Of Tzeentch (40)

Battalions
Changehost (60)
The Hosts Duplicitous (50)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1980/2000

This becomes a 2 drop list which means you are going first pretty much every time. The strategy is to use the positioning of the changeling with the changehost in order to get a LOC in your enemies territory do some damage then replace that same LOC with a unit of Brimstone. This makes your first move the most damaging as you can at that point target important characters or begin to widdle down important units. The speed of this list is very fast and you are not spaming Skyfires is the best part.  

Also You can Character Snipe with your Herald once you get him on the balewind with his default spell followed by the Bolt of Tzeentch for 2d6 mortal wounds. 

@blueguy203 Looks like a really potent list to me aswell.

The way I see it Tzeentch has some Units that are on an extremely powerful level and a lot that are good. The moment you allready include two Lords of Change and two units of Skyfires I believe that such a list has what it thakes to be competative enough and still present a fun game.

It's really up to anyone how competative they want to go. To me there is a difference in what I thake with me locally and what I'd thake for a Tournament. :) 

Cheers,

Archived