Might is Right! Bristol Smash-off!

Sangfroid

(OOC)

So the 30th of April marked the 1 year anniversary of the release of the best darn miniature GW has ever released. 

Da Megaboss! 

In addition to this with the expected summer release of GHBv2, the upcoming Bristol Smash Tournament marks the last time that I and @Chris Tomlin will be at an event together under the current ironjawz meta. I said to Chris when we did the podcast that if it didn't happen organically then we would have to grudge each other in the proper Ironjawz manner therefore..... 

Krunk, as the self proclaimed Megaboss of TGA and the wider Ironjawz world. As iz my right I, Rotgor of Da Ghostwulfz is callin you out in front of all the TGA Destruction Bosses. Bristol Smash is where we will decide this, Might is Right!  

'An Make sure you get my Megaboss Snap-back cleaned for me before you get there I don't want any of your pomade greasin my 'ed! 

Yes. It's on! Just need to hope @Kaseliegth can get us playing in the ring!

Really looking forward to this one. I've put down all pretenders to the crown snapback so far, but this could be my toughest challenge yet! However, I have no doubt Krunk and Da Black Sunz will reign victorious ;) 

Me and @Sangfroid are definitely keen to try and do as much coverage of the game as possible for the forums, so will try to take photos as we go etc. We can then do a turn by turn battle report where we alternate posts with our turns or something similar.

It'll be great fun and I can't think of a better way to see off the Ironjawz under GH1 (should this be our last outing under that book).

So had my first run out with Da Ghostwulfz last night to clear out the cobwebs ready for the Smash, here was my list...

I managed to lose the game (rob Perrin playing skyborn slayers with added raptors) because I made 2 silly mistake (either of which had I not done I would have won)  I didn't baselock a hero when I charged him which is just sloppy, and I also left my 4 pt objective in ghoul patrol needlessly open for a single turn. 

However the reason for the second mistake was literally because I was so hyped and excited at having the ladz laid out before me that in true Orruk fashion ran off to Krump some Paladins with my general (Skargut for this battle) and his 5 brute bodyguards. What made matters worse was that not only did I leave myself exposed (oooor eerrr missus) but also Rotgor and his ladz minced the 10 protectors before Skargut got there meaning he just had to go back the way he came like a Grot to a Brutes cook pot. 

Skargut was generally disappointing only killing 2 decimators and failing to kill a heraldor all game and then dying to a toot toot (he rolled 8 dice over the game to save mortal wounds from toots and Celestant Cloak and failed all of them, that was the only wounds he took but was enough) 

Rotgor who was busy being a proppa Orruk (the brutal side of the tag team) was magnificent, killing 4 protectors on his own then 5 judicators and would have nailed the lord Celestant if I'd have had time. Seems he is limbering up ready for scalping Krunk!! 

Last notable mention goes to Gamgor (Brute boss who is a decendent  of Grimgor ironhide, can be seen in the centre of the pic) held the line against the 10 decimators and managed to kill 4 on his own with his Brute Choppa before going down, the talk amoung the ladz after the battle is that maybe Gamgor should be leadin Da Kunnin side and Skargut only good to champion some Ardboyz..... 

Overall good to weed out the weak in preparation for big Fight to come. waaaagh!

IMG_0701.PNG

IMG_0702.JPG

Thanks @ChippyRick sadly there won't be any "smash" Krunk tales @Chris Tomlin is too busy arming up his ladz wiv bloomin xbows like a crazy savage Orruk, dey be  sniffin each other's bones next, an paintin pretty pictures over there face with makeup!

Dont worry though Rotgor will be setting things straight in three weeks! 

Next list will be with Rotgor back on his Mawcrusha "The Bandit" to see if the belligerent beast hasn't gotten himself too fattened to fly! Something like this... Gamgor getting a promotion to General and  Skargut is drowning his sorrows in battlebrew! 

It is against Marcus and his Death army and he will be baying for some ironjawz blood as the last time we played Gordrakk killed Arkhan, then nefferata 20 skellies and almost killed his necrosphynx and that was after failing his mystical terrain checks twice. 

I have seen some crazy pink paint already, i think they are further down that road already dude :x

Be good to see if that fat ****** can still fly, would be an awesome site.

Sounds like the Death need to ramp it up and get some payback in. That was some serious damage output from the big man. Once he gets going he is mental good.

So had another practice match last night,  Rotgor, Skargut and Da Ghostwulfz did indeed face off against Marcus and his ethereal host. 

My list was: 

Skargut (on maw-krusha) "Bandit", ravager and talisman

rotgor wiv battlebrew

warchanter

shaman

10 brutes with Gamgor 

2 x brutes

2 x 3 gore gruntas 

Ironfist 

i opted to go back to a similar list to my blood & glory but dropping out the 3x10 ardboyz for 3 pigs and 2x5 brutes, not given up on brutefist just yet but I have to say it was nice to be back into the comfy hollowed out Grot skull slippers of the Ironfist, having played my last six games without it having my army catapult itself where I wanted to at double time was nice. 

Marcus list was 

nefferata 

mourngul

tomb herald with cursed book

vlad Von Carstein

isabella Von carstein

4x3 spirit hosts

3 x10 zombies

10 skellies

120 summoning points. 

A tough ask for the ironjawz almost everything that is of relevance ignores rend (or can be given that by neff) potential -4 to hit on brutes -3 on gorepigs and characters! 

The battleplan was escalation so that does give me a boost but Marcus has plenty of units as well so my deployment is pigs on flanks, 5 man brutes inside, Gamgor and the big brutes in the centre, chanter to the left, shaman centre with Skargut 24" back and then Rotgor on the right flank. Marcus similarly deploys his monsters and herald in the centre with 3 spirits, skellies and zombie. His left is Isabella 3 spirits and 10 zombies and then on his right flank vlad 2x3 spirits and 10 zombies. 

So with a wall of unhittable un-rendable filth infront of me I elected to give Marcus first turn and we were off! (Sorry useless as always at taking pics :-)

Turn 1

he moves forward a little but crucially can't get within 6" of the right objective with his spirit hosts (vlads flank). 

I go full on "maximum effort" mode and emancipated by the double d6" move my army vaults forwards (had to run Skargut in Mawcrusha and he rolled a 6. On my left my gorepigs fast and furious style drift charge into the spirit (so all my pigs are nose to butt strung out so they cover 10" of board from the edge so he can't sneak around and score with zombies., just need to not die.... 

on the other flank pigs failed their mystical so nothing's much going on there but in the centre Gamgor, with IP and mystic shield get a nice big 10" charge so I swing around the zombies and pin 3 spirit hosts, skellies and zombies in place (and only 2 models in 6" of objective) I put 5 brutes into the spirits and 5 into the zombies but thanks to neffs -1 hit bubble (I made sure to be out of 6" of mourngul) meant I missed with both gore choppas and Gamgor, but the hackas killed 1 spirit and 4 zombies. I lose one brute 

Over on the right flank I kill 2 spirits and the last one does 4 mortal wounds back! off my piggies (whoop the bacon wall holds just.....)

Turn 2 

as with all maximum effort strategies I need the double turn to have a chance and I get it after we draw the priority roll 3 times in a row! 

Skargut gets shielded and realised that he has to sacrifice himself on the mourngul to give me any chance at all as that thing getting into my brutes will wreck face. He takes 3 wounds off with his destructive bulk but sadly thanks to being -3 to hit does nothing else, however with the shield shows some worth and saves 4/5 4+ so only loses 2 wounds. The two 5 strong brutes go nuts with their moves and both succeed in charging the 2 spirit host units on either flank not yet in combat on the left (by vlad) the brutes with frenzy and mystical rerolls kill all 3 in a oner, on the right they manage to kill only one (neffys 15" -1 to hit aura is a nightmare). Rotgor and the gorepigs secure thenobjective rather than charge in so it will prevent Marcus summoning over my head and getting the objective. 

In the centre I manage to kill all the zombies but 1 (the standard bearer euuuurgh!) and 2 wounds off a spirit host however Gamgor wakes up and on his own kills 5 skeletons (he has Klaw today) finnaly my pigs elect to kill zombies in an attempt to stop them scoring (great pile in from Marcus has got 3 in range of objective) I killed some but not enough and while I had 2 pigs and chanter he had 3 zombies so no score there. I also didn't score in the centre as the skellies piling in stopped me. 

1-0 to me. 

Marcus has his go now, nefferata decides she needs to go and save vlad from my rampaging brutes so she and him charge either side of my brutes, aside from that everything is in combat except Isabella who decides to try to beguile my brute boss but fails. Then practically all the dead zombie and skeletons reanimate (Marcus rolled a 5/6 and 5 nice) also neffy buffs herself so now ignores rend and is a 3+. 

Combat sees my pigs lose 2 wounds I lose a brute from the 5 man by Isabella, kill some zombies and skeletons, (standard....) Skargut manages to do a wound to mourngul (lose 6 back ouch!) I lose 2 brutes from Gamgors unit and he this time solos 4 skeletons (hitting with the Klaw makes all the difference when your on 5+ to hit). However due to the combat activation I manage to go first with my 5 brutes over with vlad and neffy. Only 2 can attack each and the boss is the one who can't fight. 2 choppa guys manage to take 2 wounds of neffy which I was very pleased with and the gore choppa hits 3 times wounds 3 times vlad fails 2 saves I do 6 wounds and he only death saves one.... bye, bye Vlad ?

Oh but wait he comes back alive on a roll of a 2+... noooooo!

But then Marcus rolls a 1 (gutted for him at least) so while neffy proceeds to eat 2 brutes back they are heroes now killing 300 points of deadlings like it was a training day. Gamgor needs to start looking over his shoulder at the new brute champ maybe .... also I rolled a 1 for battleshock so they live to fight another day! 

Marcus scores 2 points making it 1-2 going into the priority roll for 3 can he double turn me back....... 

Turn 3: 

Yes he can and he does...... neffy buffs up and most of the dead zombies and skellies all stand up again, combats see the mourngul take another 2 wounds off Skargut (saved like a boss!) A pig dies on the left (after killing all but 4 zombies) the heroic brutes get munched by neffy, my right brutes kill a spirt (1 left now) in the centre the brutes lose another and kill more skellies and zombies. (A lot was happening dice wise a great battle of combat selection and smashing each other loads of fun but from a text perspective doesn't seem like much...) 

marcus finishes his turn 1-4 up 

my turn I charge pigs in to zombies and sprit host by isabella, Rotgor fails his mystical, shaman only destruction moves 2" so is 0.5" short of mourngul for bolt so I just try to foot of Gork the 3 zombies fail to cast then fail my mystical (for the second time, btw there was 5 mystical terrain 4 damned and one deadly on the board) and my Warchanter charges to the aid of the last piggie on the right, between them they need to kill 4 zombies and finish of the spirit host.  Warchanter doesn't even get to fight the New pretender to the Ironfist boss throne, the Goregrunta boss kills all the zombies bar one (again the damn standard) secures the objective in the process! 

The brutes and pigs finish off all the zombies and spirits by Isabella leaving her behind hanging in the wind, Skargut does zero to mourngul (named Casper btw) but he gets whacked hard back and is now on 2 wounds.... 

more skelies die and crucially all the zombies die in the middle 

so at the the end of turn 3 it's now 4-4 

Turn 4 

i really need the priority here to consolidate but so does Marcus and he gets it! 

He summons 10 zombies behind Isabella and retreats behind them, neffy fails to arcane bolt off my last pig but does grow 4 zombies back, skellies regrow again (Gamgor has killed about 12 of these so far on his own). Neffy then fails ignore rend spell but has to now deal with Gamgor, last turn I killed a spirit so only one left he has 8 or so skellies but has to make sure he saves them to score, so that leaves his 1 spirit and 6 zombies to kill a pig  or I fail to kill 4 zombies.... 

combat sees the mourngul do 0 more to Skargut (mixture of bad rolls and amazing saves on a 5+ I rolled 2 5s and 2 6s (Skargut has redeemed himself from the last battle by now) and has o oh 2 wounds left so a single fail and he would have been dead!) Neffy hits and kills all but 3 brutes around Gamgor leaving him and the 2 gorechoppas left. 

One has to hit the skellies and kills 3 (5 left so they will score) Gamgor hits neffy with the Klaw she fails her save but does death save a wound (she is 4+ not ignoring rend btw.....) he then wounds both times with Smasha, she saves one and then I only do 1 wound off the D3 (still not bad but could have been amazing). However emboldened by Gamgors lead the gore choppa hits and wounds 3 times... Marcus gulps as this could hurt... he then rolls 2 6s to save, I do 2 wounds though from the D3 (so she is on 2 wounds taken as she heals 2 back). 

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I've never had much luck with neffy except once when Gordrakk killed her in one go. 

Marcus only scores 1 point as he didn't kill my pig but I did kill 3 zombies (so we are drawing 2 models each on the objective) but gets the centre so it's now 4-5 

My turn 4 I run away with Skargut and move the pigs in front of him, Rotgor moves up to charge mourngul but fails another mystical... brutes charge Isabella's and zombies. Shammy moves up and I try a foot again this time on neffy (fail again unsurprisingly thought it was a tantalising 9!) Disaster strikes and Gamgor and the 3 brutes fail a mystical. They die sadly but my pigs and chanter finnaly kill zombies and last spirt host on the left! Leaving me in control of the left (it's been an epic grind but I'm really pleased as this was my distraction flank I only expected to score once hold him up once then everyone die!)

The 4 brutes manage to get Boss and gorechoppa on Isabella and she dies pretty sharpish. I score 2 taking it to 6-5 

and now it's the crucial game deciding T5 priority roll... if I can win it and score 3 he can't catch me, if he scores it also probably means my guys will be dead and so I'd only likely get 1 point back so a draw or if he gets what he needs with his zombies (summoned see below) then he can pip it! 

Turn 5

i win the priority role! Gorepigs in the centre charge the skellies (avoid mourngul) Rotgor runs away to get last objective and Skargut charges mourngul (he does nothing and dies sadly) the pigs kill some skellies but not enough so I only score 2 points 5-8 going into the bottom of turn 5...

Marcus summons 10 zombies to my left (they have to charge last pig and chanter and not lose 7 models, neffy charges pigs to secure centre (tomb herald charges my brutes who are down to 3 models now and he kills 2 then I battleshock the last one off. Mourngul charges Rotgor and kills him. So far that's 2 points for the centre and the left...... 

he needs to get this charge off on his zombies... 

rolls an 8" 

and so that's the game to me 8-7 on VPs! (I had a pig, a Warchanter and a shaman left, he had neffy, 10'zombies , herald and Mourngul and some skellies) 

Phew! Was a great game which hope I've conveyed above. 

Skargut redeems himself tanking the mourngul, Gamgor covers himself in glory holding the centre, 2 new boss emerge on the left Dornoch the brute boss and Zelnik the gore Grunta boss challengers to Gamgor in the making! 

Rotgor was obviously asleep for the battle and needs to sort himself out if he expects to do any Smashing at Smash! 

Waaaaagh! 

6 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Awesome report @Sangfroid, sounds like a great game. Congrats on the win.

Hopefully our match at Bristol Smash can still happen. Currently in the balance for me on whether I can attend :S 

If I didn't know the reason already then there would be some Rotgor induced insults being thrown about ere ?

Archived