Realm of Chaos Style Grand Alliance Chaos Army

• 2 months later...

@elfhead - thanks for the comments and ideas. I'll need to work on my sculpting skills to create a lace collar! I'd originally composed my conversion in a similar pose to yours, but I changed it to accommodate different weapons - great minds and all that [emoji3]

@Ollie Grimwood - thanks for the positive feedback.

So it's been a long while since I posted anything, but I've finally had a couple of evenings to work on the army again.

I'm currently working on a unit of Blightkings. Here are the first two, I'm going for a heavily armoured theme for this unit.

af8a8127671b20baf5fbdcfc3a3fefc0.jpg

f97f99550c265c9e134323415a1a0cf3.jpg

The first is based on a SCE liberator, and the second is a more minor conversion as I'm not too keen on the kit's standard icon bearer.

What do all think?

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Well with all of this Tzeentch excitement I couldn't resist revisiting my mark of Tzeentch chaos warrior unit again. Plus, I had one SCE liberator left to repurpose....

6c524b11e3fdef3457acd8ce15ece1e8.jpg

41ef665049c1c6498d782c85b473ff82.jpg

80c845c7787537d2b0eb0b7e23205aa3.jpg

I've got 4 others at the w.i.p. stage, so hopefully I'll have the unit finished soon so that I can move onto some of the new Tzeentch model hotness.

Comments welcome.

MGP

• Like 2

On 23/05/2016 at 6:23 PM, MyGeekyPersona said:

I'm really glad that GW released the Stormcast Eternals. Not because I want to make an army of them, but because I'd been searching for some good quality 28 mm heroic scale foot knights for conversion work for an age.

Here's the first of my Liberator to chaos warrior conversions - hand weapon and shield, undivided.

8d8d558004b45ac8cbfa319559005627.jpg

I had thought that he was complete, but looking at the photo, I need to add something between the right shoulder pad and the breast plate - probably a little chain mail.

The plan is to eventually have 10 sword and board, undivided chaos warriors, each a different model. They'll be painted classic black and metallic and should tie in visually with Varanguard.

Comments welcome.

MGP

On 25/06/2016 at 10:00 AM, MyGeekyPersona said:

@UrbanJesus - thanks for the feedback. I take your point about scale mail - not traditionally very chaos. However, scale mail will feature heavily on my Tzeentch models, and occasionally on my Slaanesh models, so I'm hopeful that it'll look OK on the odd chaos undivided miniature too.

For Khorne and Nurgle marked warriors though you're spot on. It is relatively straight forward to remove the tabard on the Stormcast Liberators, but it's a bit more time-consuming to remove the pteruges. It is worth the effort though - I'm quite happy with how this w.i.p. Khorne chosen is coming along.

f3ea33b16c727873abb389bb9e5005d4.jpg

MGP

This has made my ideas for tzeentch chaos warriors possible. I was waiting to see a convertion of stormcasts to Chaos warriors. Do the knight shoulder pads fit nicely?

I have plans for the paladors to become Knights Of Tzeentch as well :)

@MyGeekyPersona I just want to thank you so very much for the inspiration you've given me. I've been so put off by the size/scale difference of the new Stormcast vs the old Chaos mortals - it just didn't add up to me. But now you've given so many ways of "fixing" it - to put it bluntly.

I just recently dusted of my old ('97-ish) Realm of Chaos expansion box and books, to get some inspiration. The main reason I decided to theme my old warriors army as Nurgle followers was Valnir the Reaper and his Marauder tribe of the Crow.

Amazing work, thank you for the inspiration and hobby tips. Please, keep going - I'm a follower!  

valnir.jpg

If those were my warriors, I'd try to cover those Stormcast-behinds with tattered cloaks. Perhaps even a hooded character - that's properly menacing and Nurgley.

Of course, that depends on how comfortably you feel about green stuff, and how much time you want to put into them. They look great as they are now. 

Im going to have a bash at converting some warriors from the storm cast. Like i said in my previous post ive been waiting some time to see some. My idea though is using the tissue-paper/newspaper plus pva to make some large and tattered cloaks for my tzeentch warriors.

Im thinking of using the Shadow Warrior helmets due to the sleekness plus they have the neck part of the cloak ready sculpted. I dont see warriors of tzeentch being too grim as such, more like fallen warrior scholars. Similar to the Heide Knights from Darksouls. Im also waiting for the sisters of silence miniatures to be readily avaliable for other conversion ideas.

Should anyone have any ideas how to do the helmets as the picture please let me know :)

Image result for heide knight

Edited by Grand Exemplar
  • Like 1

Im going to have a bash at converting some warriors from the storm cast. Like i said in my previous post ive been waiting some time to see some. My idea though is using the tissue-paper/newspaper plus pva to make some large and tattered cloaks for my tzeentch warriors.
Im thinking of using the Shadow Warrior helmets due to the sleekness plus they have the neck part of the cloak ready sculpted. I dont see warriors of tzeentch being too grim as such, more like fallen warrior scholars. Similar to the Heide Knights from Darksouls. Im also waiting for the sisters of silence miniatures to be readily avaliable for other conversion ideas.

7D0A4187FFBF3F934B8133FEB0E3E095D2B5BB3F

Love the heide knight aesthetic, was wondering how long it would be until someone ran with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Mohojoe said:

Love the heide knight aesthetic, was wondering how long it would be until someone ran with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope they go as planned, Tzeentch Willing. I hope to make some on the palador mounts as well I really like how they look and can see them looking like suitable Tzeentch Warrior/Knights. Weapon wise ill probably look at the tzaangor spare weapons and shields.

1 hour ago, Grand Exemplar said:

My idea though is using the tissue-paper/newspaper plus pva to make some large and tattered cloaks for my tzeentch warriors.

That's interesting! Would you perhaps have any tutorial or example of this technique?

beautiful work and very inspirational.  I've always looked to my Slaves toDarkness book for inspiration so I totally get where you're coming from with these conversions.

I've got nearly all the original Slaves to Darkness Slaanesh warrior models so if you want me to photograph them close up for you as a reference I'd be more than happy. :)

Big banners and funny legs for the win :D

Edited by Kaleb Daark

• 5 months later...

Hi Hobbyists, sorry for being incommunicado for so long. Real life had made the last few months a bit hectic. 

It's great to see so many replies on my thread, although it makes me feel all the guiltier for being away!

@Grand Exemplar - glad that my conversions are helping you to realise your Tzeentch army. 

Re: knight shoulder pads  - yes and no. I also use a lot of knight arms, which fit fine. However, if you use the SCE liberator arms then some extra cutting/filing is needed. 

Re: knight helmets - check old Bret and Empire bits - there might be something that you can use once you've trimmed off the "bling". 

@J-P you're welcome. I too wanted larger scale chaos warriors - I wanted a real variety in sizes in each unit to make them more "chaotic" looking.  I'll be keeping an eye out for your Valnir-lead warband. 

Re cloaks - I too want to build cloaked liberator conversions. However, as my time is so tight I'm going to avoid doing too much sculpting - my main plan wad to buy third party cloaks / GW cloaks from bits shops - However, Liberators are a too large! My current plan is to use Stormcast Vanguard Hunters as the base model for some new kit bashes. 

@Kaleb Daark- thanks, I might take you up on that - it's hard to get good detail shots of the older minis.  I've got some big banners planned for sure - I'm going to need to glue some coins to my standard bearer bases ?

It's not a Stormcast, but here's another cloaked Chaos Warrior conversion w.i.p.  that I posted on Twitter a while back - this guy will be a Tzeentch Fatemaster when he's finished. 

Criticisms and comments welcome as always. 

MGP

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

@Bueno - thanks, the compliment means a lot coming from you! My aim is for each model in the army to be different, so a lot of conversions, but some of my favourite minis will be assembled as GW intended. I have to say your army sets the bar for a heavily converted force - inspiring stuff. 

@Rogue Explorator - thanks for the criticism and comments - everyone on TGA is so nice that it's rare to get a critical comment - but I think that I need those to raise my standards! You're right, a lot of time has gone into that conversion, but it's mostly been hiding 40K parts, when I should be looking to add more AoS flavour to the model. I can't bring myself to change the head though - it's such a wonderful sculpt, but I'll be looking to add more "fantasy bling" elsewhere, particularly the disc. 

Here's another Tzeentch conversion, the idea shamelessly stolen from the excellent convertorum blog. 

And the first of a new Blightking unit - this unit will consist of models which have a lot daemonic character. Should help differentiate them from my other heavily armoured blightking unit.

Let me know what you think. 

MGP

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Here's another mini for my heavily armoured unit of blightkings. 4 done now, aiming for a 10 strong unit. 

The conversion is based on a starter box liberator. They're quite tricky to convert, but given how inexpensive they are, I think that it's worth the effort. 

I may yet change the head - not sure if I should use a more Nurgle-styled helmet? 

Comments welcome as always. 

MGP

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Old Chaos is Best Chaos. Awesome conversions and kitbashes. That serpent champion of Slaanesh is spot on. keep linking art too.
I'm planning something similar with some beastmen, an all sorts of of animal mashups based on the old artworks when Beastmen weren't just beefy satyrs. 

• 1 month later...

@Kronos thanks! I agree that old chaos is that bit more special than the modern iteration - even if the current models are technically superior. I'll be looking out for your old school beastmen too - I've long fancied recreating some of the old preslotter citadel beastmen - too many projects, not enough time......

Speaking of time, my army blog is long overdue an update. 

Here's the 5th member of my heavily armoured blightkings.  It's a bit bonkers, but I quite like how he's turned out.  Nearly changed him to be wielding an axe, or hammer instead, but the unit did need a musician!  After finishing him I now have a new found respect for anyone who can sculpt armour with green stuff - it took me a whole evening to get the legs right on this mini and this is only messy corroded armour!

Comments welcome. 

MGP

IMG_8114.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8117.JPG

• Like 2

Another quick update. Here are  3 "marauders" with the mark of Nurgle which I finished a little while ago.  Looking back at these, I think that the plague zombie is a little too dynamic, but I'll leave it be for now, or else I'll never finish this army!

I'm getting close to a unit of 20 now without having to actually use the official marauder kit - a kit which I own, but I can't bring myself to build!  Hopefully, the use of several other kits will give the unit the look of a loose rabble rather than a well-drilled unit of soldiers.

Any suggestions for other GW kits that I can use as the basis of Nurgle marauders? I think that I've still got a few Bret men-at-arms hidden away in a box somewhere.....

MGP

IMG_1581.PNG

IMG_1582.PNG

IMG_1580.PNG

Edited by MyGeekyPersona
  • Like 3

The kit I have been wanting to use for some Nurgle/undead types is the Warriors of Dead kit from the Lord of the Rings Game. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warriors-of-the-Dead. With a pair of clippers, a steady hand and some greenstuff you have the chance of making something that looks fairly cool. I personally have had success in using bits from the Crypt Ghouls kit... bellow cut is a terrible picture of a conversions I made using the kit. 

Spoiler

gallery_63905_11231_163744.jpg

gallery_63905_11231_324253.jpg

Edited by Uveron

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Uveron - thanks for the suggestions. I'm certainly keen to have a go at using the ghoul kit as the basis for some conversions. 

@TheDayman @Samanar @Napalm Backflip Thanks for your kind comments. 

The imminent Nurgle book release has inspired me to get going again with my Blightkings. Here's a unit champion kitbashed from a few kits. The model's legs aren't quite the same length, but with some cunning basing I should be able to correct that. Plus, I feel that it looks a little top heavy, but again, I'm hoping a nurgling on that big base will help balance things out. Otherwise I'm really pleased with him. Just three more to build to complete my deamonic-looking unit. 

Comments welcome. 

MGP

IMG_1657.PNG