Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

While Lord slaanesh may be captured or missing his/her/its followers aren't. 

These threads are great for pooling ideas, lists, having questions answered, helping new entrants etc.

Many of us hold a dark desire to play slaanesh, here you can discuss it.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not much experience with slaanesh stuff, but from the armies I've run I've used the archaon on horse as general with a couple of Lord of slaanesh on demonic mount giving you an extra pile in and attack.

I typically included a msu list if about 4 hellstriders, I ran them around with the knights to protect them in combat using the -1 to hit and with the Lord on demonic mount.

This gave my knights the  ability to attack twice, effectively doubling their worth,  while making them harder to kill.

2 units of 5, doing twice the amount of attacks , using their bravery debuff combined with archaon to good effect, catching a couple of opponents off guard when 3 addtional models ran, or a safe unit no longer being safe.

Found the daemon Prince was handy  as you never needed to worry about activating it, it always goes first , so handy to finish off nearly dead heroes or units 

Daemonettes are surprisingly good, more expensive granted but multiplying attacks and a good defensive against special attacks which require 6s If near a daemon hero.

Obviously not a top tier list but there is fun to be had. 

22 minutes ago, Jedimasterwiggy said:

So putting two units into combat with an enemy unit means they are swinging at -2. Put them into a kunnin rukk and their shooting is also at -2.....interesting 

Yeah, but obviously onky if they are within range rather than a flat out reduction 

On 5/5/2017 at 7:16 PM, LordRogalDorn said:

I think one of the real winners of the Slaanesh line is the Herald on an Exalted chariot. It can do so much damage on the charge, and with 20 attacks can put a decent dent in most heroes and swarm units.

These are brilliant. So many attacks and with some buffs to fight twice could do some serious hurt.

Daemon prince is always a model i like.

The steeds of slaanesh are brilliant, they are so fast and can target heroes that are far away or behind units. 

The slannesh daemon formation from the older scrolls is also good, and includes units you would be taking if you were running a daemon army.

Both the Keeper of Secrets and the Lord on Steed have the pile in and attack twice command ability which is ace. the Lord is also decent and fast, used him alot in my Archaon List. And the big man himself fits quite well into a slannesh army with the above command ability really helping him :)

I havnt used the Knights under GHB yet, but was playing about with them before. They are a good unit for sure, just always seem expensive to get units on the table as i like to have unit of 10 :). Double pile would be nice on them.

Love the thread, thanks for starting it. 

Havent played a lot of slaanesh but you gotta love the speed of the seekers! Especially on a double turn they can easily run around your opponent for some surprise charges. 

Seekers are really really fast.  

Daemonettes attacking twice are good (particularly with Lord of War).  Because their ability is 20+ for the bonus I would think one unit of 30 or just units of 10 would be fine.  I wouldn't see using multiple units of 20 to maximize their ability.

I think if you took Fiends (perhaps, only a fluffy choice) then Hellstriders behind them with the banner is good cause then at -3 to hit they can tank a bit but any effective shooting can nullify that.  Clever use of an Inspiring Presence on the Hellstriders could be handy.  I don't think it's good but it could surprise someone.

So the hellstriders got their first run out today, 2 units of 5 in a mixed army with Slaves to Darkness. Did fantastic sitting just behind some chosen and daemonettes causing the stormvermin to drop to 5's to hit and the counter charging bloodletters being unable to mortal wound. Brilliant unit 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure you guys are as excited as me with the new Skirmish rules. What are your thoughts on playing a Slaanesh force? 

Narratively I prefer playing mortal backed with some deamons later on. So I'll be starting with a lord, some marauders and building up to warriors, deamenettes and Seekers. I expect the seekers to be crazy tactical in this kind of small set up. Their immense speed means they can be a threat from one corner to the other. 

What are your thoughts so far?

My thoughts exactly on the seekers! But I pictured my slaanesh warband being led by the chaos sorcerer lord which doesn't seem to be available in skirmish for some reason. The only wizard option for chaos seems to be gaunt summoner which doesn't make sense narratively in the warband I had in my mind. 

On 29-5-2017 at 9:49 PM, Wolfjaw85 said:

My thoughts exactly on the seekers! But I pictured my slaanesh warband being led by the chaos sorcerer lord which doesn't seem to be available in skirmish for some reason. The only wizard option for chaos seems to be gaunt summoner which doesn't make sense narratively in the warband I had in my mind. 

Understandable. I am in the middle of the campaign and we just used the decide by five as points, to us, are just an indication anyway. (My opponent had a slayer war and in mind, and damn that double damage unforged is a pain.) 

so we would be fine with the sorcerer at 28 points.  will you be playing the/a campaign? 

I think I am going to try two formations of 6 x 10 Daemonettes in two formations and use the ability for +1 to hit on a 5+.   I will take two Cohort formations, keeper, 2 heralds, DP, 6 x 10 girls, 5 seekers, 2 HFs, 2 Cygors.  Last night I played with two Soulgrinders and I really liked them.

I did something nearly identical with my 2000 point Warherd list which is just two Bullgor formations.  3-man Bullgors and just toss them at the enemy as throw aways but throw everything at once.

I am okay with 20 Daemoenttes but they didn't do the killing last night.  The monsters did.

I had my Keeper hit  and wound with all her claws and sword attacks last night and chop the head off a hero and decapitate 6 dwarfs with the blade. 

I honestly think dual keeper, dual SG isn't a terrible way to go much like 8th.  At least it is worth trying out for the dmg out put monsters can do.

19 hours ago, Kramer said:

Understandable. I am in the middle of the campaign and we just used the decide by five as points, to us, are just an indication anyway. (My opponent had a slayer war and in mind, and damn that double damage unforged is a pain.) 

so we would be fine with the sorcerer at 28 points.  will you be playing the/a campaign? 

Yeah the divide by 5 rule seems reasonable for most things. I'll be playing with a friend so quite casual and we will probably implement that rule. He will be playing a nurgle warband. I'm hoping to play in my local GW's tournament as well. 

hows it going vs the dwarfs?

Archived