Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

Are the Pox Riders worth the 80pts/£15 difference from the Plague Toads? A couple of friends and I are pooling FW orders to get free shipping (£250+ order) and we'd like to get the order out in a few days. I don't really play Nurgle yet as I'm waiting for the Battletome but the Plague Toads look to be useful for summoning as well in my Tzeentch & Slaves to Darkness forces. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BootyKnight said:

Hey everyone,

Are the Pox Riders worth the 80pts/£15 difference from the Plague Toads? A couple of friends and I are pooling FW orders to get free shipping (£250+ order) and we'd like to get the order out in a few days. I don't really play Nurgle yet as I'm waiting for the Battletome but the Plague Toads look to be useful for summoning as well in my Tzeentch & Slaves to Darkness forces. 

Thanks!

No, just use toads, pox riders are awful compared to them

Hi everyone!

Just picked up a load of Nurgle stuff to make a GT force for 2018. Here's the current build I'm thinking of:

Glottkin (General)
Epidemius
Plague Priest with Censer

Daemon Prince (Fly+Axe)

30xPlaguebearers
30xPlaguebearers
5xPutrid Blightkings
5xPutrid Blightkings
3xPlague Drones

1960pts Total

I've ordered the Blightwar Dial+Nurgle allegiance rules off eBay so will use those Nurgle allegiance rules. 

I also have another 3 drones, 6 Nurglings, Lord of Plagues and Festus which I could swap in depending on how I find this force plays in practice matches. 

Anyone got any feedback? I'm thinking the +1 wound magic from glottkin on 30 plaguebearers would be awesome and I love Epidemius' re-roll powers. I have a daemon prince for the speed and rend, which are sorely missing from Nurgle in general. 

21 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

What would you swap in the 3 drones for? they would cost the same as 30 plaguebearers almost- not sure it would be worth it?

You could also just switch your demon prince for harbringer( as you general) he can give drones mortals and give you an extra save for all those within 7” of him. Glott dies a lot faster than you think so with harbringer you can actually use him as a tank across from your drones. Also will free up points for one beast if you want to hit right at 2k

13 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

You could also just switch your demon prince for harbringer( as you general) he can give drones mortals and give you an extra save for all those within 7” of him. Glott dies a lot faster than you think so with harbringer you can actually use him as a tank across from your drones. Also will free up points for one beast if you want to hit right at 2k

Sorry, I don't get what you mean by gives drones mortals? Doesn't his command ability only affect mortal nurgle units, which would just be the putrid blightkings? I also think the Glottkin's command ability and magic are really powerful- imagine giving 30 plaguebearers +1 wound and +1 attack! Makes them insanely resilient- 2x5+ saves and 2 wounds each.

4 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Sorry, I don't get what you mean by gives drones mortals? Doesn't his command ability only affect mortal nurgle units, which would just be the putrid blightkings? I also think the Glottkin's command ability and magic are really powerful- imagine giving 30 plaguebearers +1 wound and +1 attack! Makes them insanely resilient- 2x5+ saves and 2 wounds each.

Harbringer has the demon keyword as well as nurgle hero so he sets off the ability on the drones warscrolls.

glottkins command ability is powerful, but for unknown reasons he does not have a nurgle feel no pain save. Harbringer gives it to him, and the blightkings. Having played glott a few times he is a big target so he can go down fast without that extra save. But I do completely agree about buffing plaguebearers with his spell. However they still won’t deal much dmg even with Glotts command ability. But that is what epidemus is for.

My experience with nurgle is to actually use your battleline as followers to hold objectives while your elite units are dealing all dmg possible to set off epidemus.  

Baisically you are not wrong in your ideas. It’s just that if glott goes down too quick your pretty hurt in that List. Running him without harbringer is a risk, but it could pay off. Just keep him safe. 

1 minute ago, Soldier of decay said:

Harbringer has the demon keyword as well as nurgle hero so he sets off the ability on the drones warscrolls.

glottkins command ability is powerful, but for unknown reasons he does not have a nurgle feel no pain save. Harbringer gives it to him, and the blightkings. Having played glott a few times he is a big target so he can go down fast without that extra save. But I do completely agree about buffing plaguebearers with his spell. However they still won’t deal much dmg even with Glotts command ability. But that is what epidemus is for.

My experience with nurgle is to actually use your battleline as followers to hold objectives while your elite units are dealing all dmg possible to set off epidemus.  

Baisically you are not wrong in your ideas. It’s just that if glott goes down too quick your pretty hurt in that List. Running him without harbringer is a risk, but it could pay off. Just keep him safe. 

Ah right. Thanks for the feedback. I haven't actually played a game with this force yet, so it's good to hear from experience! Might get the Harbinger then to see how he plays. Cheers!

5 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Ah right. Thanks for the feedback. I haven't actually played a game with this force yet, so it's good to hear from experience! Might get the Harbinger then to see how he plays. Cheers!

One other option would be to only use 1 unit of 30 pb. Then take the other unit down to 10 pb for objective holding. The let’s you get 3 more drones. Then you can have 6 drones and your demon prince as a nice hammer

Just now, Soldier of decay said:

One other option would be to only use 1 unit of 30 pb. Then take the other unit down to 10 pb for objective holding. The let’s you get 3 more drones. Then you can have 6 drones and your demon prince as a nice hammer

That sounds like a decent trade. What's your experience with nurglings and using them for objectives? Are they just too squishy to be of use or is summoning them on objectives useful?

14 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

That sounds like a decent trade. What's your experience with nurglings and using them for objectives? Are they just too squishy to be of use or is summoning them on objectives useful?

I have never tried nurglings actually. But with your current list I wouldn’t count on summoning. Glot is the only wizard. He’ll be too busy mystic shielding and using fleshy abundance. If you want to use sommoning in your army you should try to at least have 3 wizards, cause if they get sniped before you summon your out of those points.

Nurgle Demons,

Thoughts?

Allegiance: Chaos
Exalted Greater Daemon of Nurgle (500)
- General
Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (270)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
12 x Daemon Plague Toads of Nurgle (320)
6 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (440)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Drop herald and take something else for 100 pts. 

You could downgrade plaguebearers for marauders and you will have another 80 pts to play with. These pbs will just sit on obj anyway so you better pay less for that.

With 180 you could take a sorcerer lord (noce buffer) epidemius (nice buffer) 5 kings (wreck low saves) or even festus.

If you don't want to change your list so much i would advise you to drop the herald anyway (it is reaaaally bad) and get a rotbringer sorcerer (not the best choice but for 100 points you can't afford anything better)

How have players found mixed Pestilens/Daemons/Mortal armies?

I've had a few smaller (1500) games running:

• Glottkin
  • Great Unclean One
  • Plaguepriest
  • 40 Plague Monks
  • 10 Blightkings
  • 5 Plague Censer Bearers
  • 10 Plaguebearers

A bit clunky but works quite effectively, beaten Ironjaws, Goblin Horde and Stormcast so far..

What are people’s thoughts on taking sayl n 30 chaos warriors as part of a 2000 pts list? Rest of the list is comprised of 2 max units of pbs, a max unit of toads and the EGUO as general.

Completely different subject, I’m still hopeful we’ll get some new nurgle in the not too distant future, but what are you thoughts?? 

10 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

What are people’s thoughts on taking sayl n 30 chaos warriors as part of a 2000 pts list? Rest of the list is comprises of 2 max units of pbs, a max unit of toads and the EGUO as general.

Completely different subject, I’m still hopeful we’ll get some new nurgle in the not too distant future, but what are you thought?? 

I am a fan of 30 Warriors!  No matter the mark. 

A good Solid Unit.  

I was thinking, to counter the likely excessive number of Tzeentch lists in 2018, would it be worth getting Sayl and something like 40 Marauders with mark of Nurgle and using Sayl to teleport them behind tzeetch ranks and take out the ranged mortal wound madness? Or is there a better strategy to counter Tzeentch?

@Uveron I like them too. They’re gonna be hard to shift. 

@hughwyeth I haven’t played against tzeentch yet so I’m not sure, but it sounds good in theory.

Depending on the objective I think it could carry out a number of roles. As far as I’ve seen few can defend an objective like a unit or two of pbs. But I’ve always been lacking at capturing enemy objectives and perhaps a sayl powered max unit of warriors could be just the trick. At 60 wounds and moving 18 I think they could fill the void I’ve been missing. Alternatively using them to target nasty units like a pair of thundertusks that my mate always uses could be a good option.  

Sayl is 120. Is really useful to move once per game a unit that function as an anvil and put it into the most favorable position. 

I think that in a heavy mortal STD Nurgle list he is pretty good (same points as festus). I personally like him a lot also for his once per game thingy that makes him a little bit more reliable.

I actually don't know if putting him on a balewind makes you extend the area of "wholly within" to 30". Would be surely interesting.

Archived