Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

I build Bloab Rotspawned out of my maggoth set and that gave me 2 large spare mouth and one smaller belly mouth. However I am not interesting in selling/trading these bits. I just wanted to let you know what the Maggoth set gives you.

That's cool, thanks for letting me know how the model comes

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/09/2017 at 12:46 PM, Josh Meads said:

Everything is spare aside from the body: extra legs arms the lot. 

I started making a demon prince, then just decided to make it into a mount. Used chaos knight legs as you only get 1 pair. 

I did something similar, my advise would be to try to keep the footprint to a 60mm base and then he can be used as a Harbringer of Decay.

FullSizeRender2.jpg.6c9433f8744a0c007d1c62675b0459a5.jpg

Hey All,

Have a tournament coming up and I've narrowed down to two variations of a list. Seeking some thoughts on the two versions. The tournament will be using 5 of the 6 new battleplans from GHB17.  Number one has five more kings in a large group to benefit from massive regiment discount but isnt a multiple of 7 so no Mortal Wound kickback from the Plaguetouched battalion. Also, Festus or Gutrot is 120 points so they are interchangeable but I figured getting Festus' spell off is more worth it and having Festus hang out near the Harbinger to heal him. Each unit of chaos warriors is actually 14 models so that they get the benefit from Plaguetouched's mortal wound kick back.

Main difference in number two is that I'll have a smaller unit of kings at 14 models for the mortal wound kickback. And adding in a chaos sorcerer lord for his buff, and with 100 points leftover I threw in a lord of chaos.

Both lists will be using the Harbinger's command ability and the 6+ save after that to save wounds ( as long as the unit in question is within 7" of Harbinger and 9" of the Shrine. Super resilient.

Also the prayer from the shrine ( re-roll failed wound rolls as long as its Nurgle) its pretty great.

Feedback welcome

Harbinger of Decay (140)
- General

Exalted Hero Of Chaos (80)
Bloab Rotspawned (240)
Festus The Leechlord (120)

15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
20 x Putrid Blightkings (600)
1 x Chaos Warshrine (180)

Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Harbinger of Decay (140)
- General
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
Lord Of Chaos (100)
Bloab Rotspawned (240)

15 x Putrid Blightkings (540)
1 x Chaos Warshrine (180)

Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000

On 24/09/2017 at 6:05 AM, FRoper said:

what mortal units would people place in a plaguetouched warband. I always see marurders and blightkings, but would chaos knights work. 

Warriors, Knights and Warshrines are all solid options. 

I'm testing out a list with some great weapon warriors and lance chaos knights to add a bit of rend to a list that, as mentioned, tends to lack it. 

Warshrine is really good with hordes of blightkings or chaos warriors. The extra 6+ ward is nice, and can frustrate opponents, but the reroll to wound is what draws me in - it pumps up those hordes to dangerous levels, and as a behemoth can be handy for scenario play.

7 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Finished my exalted Great unclean one! He is SO GOOD for his points. SUCH a tank!!!

EGUO.jpg

EGUO2.jpg

+1 for this I have used him a few times too and he really know how to create some chaos. One time he killed off a Magmadroth in my first turn. Shooting and a solid charge and the thing never saw what hit it. For some games I even use Festus next to the EGUO just to make he stays alive for a looong time.

45 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

How important is -1 to hit for nurgle forces ?

Is it really worth building our forces around or does it actually weaken us ?

I'm running Plaguetouched to get the -1 to hit myself because its just one more thing that helps my forces achieve a higher resilience. I have the Harbinger's command ability as well as the Warshrines 6+ ignore a wound.  I'm stacking the deck as far as not getting hit/wounded and while my army lacks rend ( as I run blightkings and Chaos warriors ) I'm fighting a war of attrition. And if I get lucky and get Bloab's swarm of flies ability I can give enemy units another -1 to hit.

I wouldn't say its mandatory at all, however, its the direction I choose to take my Nurgle army. 

For me the -1 is mandatory.

It literally cuts down the damage by 1/6. Also it nullifies those pesky 6+ to hit like retributors and bloodletters.

For example: plaguetouched. Is a 100 points battalion that includes everything and makes your units 1/6 harder to kill. And there is nothing that for 100 points increases your durability by so much. Since we are not good at killing we have to focus in what we do best: tanking.

And tankiness is achieved by a few things: good saves, good numbers, good wound amount, good resistances to battleshock and good debuffs.

The first, second , third and forth can all be achieved through battleline troops and harbinger of decay. The debuffs is only on: battalions, bloab, cunning deceiver and plaguebearers (i am not considering blightguard on purpose).

So i think that you could make a list with no -1 to hit but it doesn't go to your favour. I did it one time and  i regreted a lot. When you'll face big things that you struggle to hold even with the -1 like 30 tzaangor, 90 bloodletters and such and you don't have this -1... Not good times

At least this is what i have find to be my most effective way of playing. May not be the same for you ;)

Yes but if we take plaguetouched we are limited to.. slaves to darkness and rotbringers, kings are great the maggoth lords are 2/3s great (I don't rate orghotts at all) glottkin is personal preferance , slaves are underwhelming, tanky but about it. 

So short of running nothing but kings , maggoth lord, harbinger or maybe glottkin, we struggle to get a strong list

If you don't need the -1 you could have something like ,(off the top of my head)

2x5 kings, glottkin, 6 plague ogres, 2 catapults, epi, 30 bearers. And run the wheel for the boosts off that.

By going with the battalions but only being stuck with mediocre units to populate them, are we not then better off only using the good ones 

5 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Yes but if we take plaguetouched we are limited to.. slaves to darkness and rotbringers, kings are great the maggoth lords are 2/3s great (I don't rate orghotts at all) glottkin is personal preferance , slaves are underwhelming, tanky but about it. 

So short of running nothing but kings , maggoth lord, harbinger or maybe glottkin, we struggle to get a strong list

If you don't need the -1 you could have something like ,(off the top of my head)

2x5 kings, glottkin, 6 plague ogres, 2 catapults, epi, 30 bearers. And run the wheel for the boosts off that.

By going with the battalions but only being stuck with mediocre units to populate them, are we not then better off only using the good ones 

Plaguetouched is a style of play that consists into playing few units that play a specific role. You have to like that way of playing otherwise is not the best option. Also rating STD as underwhelming is imho not right cause they have one of the best battleline in all chaos. Also other units are really really good in playing a specific role (as everything).

I have made a list based on the wheel. Glottkin, horticulus, prince, 6 drones, 60 plaguebearers and 10 marauders, joined by a plagueclaw.

Things that i can suggest you: plague ogres are awful, play trolls instead.

Also don't rely too much on the plagueclaw. With 1 i always rated it underwhelming (in every every game it doesn't make up for his points).

Epidemius right now is really good. I can't say the same for blightkings, they often underperform in different ways (the weakest option is the lack of rend).

Right now imho if you don't want to play plaguetouched and remain competitive go for daemons. Exalted guo is really really strong. Also a tally band can be interesting to say the least even at 200 points.

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

Plaguetouched is a style of play that consists into playing few units that play a specific role. You have to like that way of playing otherwise is not the best option. Also rating STD as underwhelming is imho not right cause they have one of the best battleline in all chaos. Also other units are really really good in playing a specific role (as everything).

I have made a list based on the wheel. Glottkin, horticulus, prince, 6 drones, 60 plaguebearers and 10 marauders, joined by a plagueclaw.

Things that i can suggest you: plague ogres are awful, play trolls instead.

Also don't rely too much on the plagueclaw. With 1 i always rated it underwhelming (in every every game it doesn't make up for his points).

Epidemius right now is really good. I can't say the same for blightkings, they often underperform in different ways (the weakest option is the lack of rend).

Right now imho if you don't want to play plaguetouched and remain competitive go for daemons. Exalted guo is really really strong. Also a tally band can be interesting to say the least even at 200 points.

Interesting run down. Do you still rate the Tallyband at the increased cost? Been thinking about it myself, but worrying about the lack of killing power.

11 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Interesting run down. Do you still rate the Tallyband at the increased cost? Been thinking about it myself, but worrying about the lack of killing power.

Of course is still strong. It doesn't have killing power at all unless going drones-heavy. However the resilience is really good with healing and resurrection of PBS.

Have to be clarified if eguo can be elected to be the leader. 

Has anyone tried a massive unit of ungor raiders. 40 man for 360. 40 shots at least 26" away ( after run and shoot with a banner and musician) 4 to hit re-rolling 1 and 2.  Then 4 to wound. Could easily see 10-15 dmg per shooting phase ( for nurgle that's a lot)

Is there a major weakness I'm missing or a better alternative. I have a plagueclaw and it always underperformes especially if my opponent is using massive units. 

Thoughts?

15 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

Has anyone tried a massive unit of ungor raiders. 40 man for 360. 40 shots at least 26" away ( after run and shoot with a banner and musician) 4 to hit re-rolling 1 and 2.  Then 4 to wound. Could easily see 10-15 dmg per shooting phase ( for nurgle that's a lot)

Is there a major weakness I'm missing or a better alternative. I have a plagueclaw and it always underperformes especially if my opponent is using massive units. 

Thoughts?

So once they announced the allies I actually bought 30 raiders with the intention of trying this. My first game with them they were kind of lackluster. However I just created a new list that has more bodies ( 104 models and 198 wounds ) with which Im hoping to better protect the ungors as they are super fragile.  Playing a few games this weekend and I'll report my findings

22 minutes ago, Sigmalthus said:

So once they announced the allies I actually bought 30 raiders with the intention of trying this. My first game with them they were kind of lackluster. However I just created a new list that has more bodies ( 104 models and 198 wounds ) with which Im hoping to better protect the ungors as they are super fragile.  Playing a few games this weekend and I'll report my findings

Ya I was thinking they will either do some damage in the shooting phase or act as a damage sponge until my slow nurgle gets there. After all if I bring 40 they will prolly take at least 20 dmg before they quit being a target. That's 20 dmg my blightkings aren't fending off on their slow march. Or better yet they may soak up dmg instead of my harbringer being sniped off in early rounds. Let me know how it goes for you. If the do damage or play as a good distraction, and was it worth it

So what can i say? I think that for Nurgle there are actually very few ways to deal damage as Nurgle. I personally think that drones are the best option if supported by a plague priest and a Nurgle daemon hero to unlock the locus. Blightkings are good but without a +1 to hit their damage is lacking against a 4+. Tho their are good vs hordes.

I think that the key with Nurgle is simply forget doing damage. Play for objective and weather the storm. With mortals we have access to the plaguetouched and for daemons we have PBS (i think tho that they are overrated), guo and eguo. 

I think our worst enemy is the gaunt summoner on balewind, an absolute nightmare for our troops and we have no reliable way to kill it. At least we have a save against mortal wounds.

Any hero that doesn't add survivability or damage is not even considerated by me. So chaos lord, manticore lord and such are simply not good compared to bloab, harbinger or even a sorcerer lord (imho is still good even at 160).

So the strategy (for me) that Nurgle should have is: stack debuffs, stack survivability in each form possible and try to stuck in combat their most damaging unit with warriors, knights or PBS. In this way you are wasting their points and making their most valuablr unit useless for most of the game. I remember that my warriors buffed holded and killed 20 buffed tzaangors and wasted tons of spells and damage of other units.

I think that epidemius could be really good right now but i have tried him only once (he did good but i don't like protecting him and protecting glottkin and other characters).

U didn't mention the plagueclaw as a source of high rend. I do think that it is lacking but people seems to make good use of them.

What i do think is really good for damage are bile trolls. For 180 points u get a really good shooting and a good melee profile.

20 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

@shadowgra I find the opposite - when I take lists focused too much on self buffing, I can't compete on objectives. I've actually moved towards including two units of knights (with lances) and a lord on manticore (in a plaguetouched list) so that I have the speed to threaten more than one objective. 

I too have knights and a gorebeast chariots. Don't forget that harbinger has a good base move so he is able to keep up with the knights.

The lord on manticore is imho really weak; a daemon prince have some wounds less but at least is capable of doing something in combat and has a 3+ 

Speed is some what important for Nurgle and so you could go with knights, summoning, chariots.. But don't forget that our ma in strenght is the durability and we should play around that. Otherwise simply play something else, if you want to go the damage route. Or just play a bunch of drones and the glottkin

Unfortunately you´re right in terms of damage output. Therefore I skipped my dreams and hopes of an utterly competetive Nurgle warband and just like to play what I really like models wise. I´m actually pulled towards Slaves to Darkness units because they offer some great looking models as well as the plaguetouched warband. And playing Slaves to Darkness (and to some degree demons of Nurgle) allows for Grand Alliance Chaos due to usable battleline options which gives me at least some trait and artifacts.

HTG

3 hours ago, shadowgra said:

I too have knights and a gorebeast chariots. Don't forget that harbinger has a good base move so he is able to keep up with the knights.

The lord on manticore is imho really weak; a daemon prince have some wounds less but at least is capable of doing something in combat and has a 3+ 

Speed is some what important for Nurgle and so you could go with knights, summoning, chariots.. But don't forget that our ma in strenght is the durability and we should play around that. Otherwise simply play something else, if you want to go the damage route. Or just play a bunch of drones and the glottkin

Oh definitely - my list is built around a harbringer supporting 20 blightkings and glottkin. My initial lists doubled down on this support with festus (extra D3 heal for glottkin or harbringer) and a warshrine (extra 6+ ward). Both of those models increased my damage at the center too (reroll to wound from the shrine and dropping armour from festus), meaning I could win any one point/area I choose to , but I found the list overall was just too slow to compete in scenarios.

edit: Lord on Manticore of nurgle has a 3+ save too, and gets -1 to hit from plaguetouched (and can have a 5++ save against mortal wounds). Daemon prince is better value out of the box, but is a unit outside of the plaguetouched warband (I can't afford it in my list, but that's a drawback in any list). 

Archived