Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like it would be fun to try. I was looking at the catapults too. Not totally sold on them... 3 however could cause a lot of trouble, especially on big units. What about dropping a herald and the Nurglings to get a Demon prince in there for late game exploits. I'm not seeing the Heralds doing much past providing locus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My only issue with dropping the Herald for the DP is that I lose my requirement for the Tallyband at that point. I can split my 6 Nurglings into 2x3s but I feel it really loses the effectiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it would be fun to try. I was looking at the catapults too. Not totally sold on them... 3 however could cause a lot of trouble, especially on big units. What about dropping a herald and the Nurglings to get a Demon prince in there for late game exploits. I'm not seeing the Heralds doing much past providing locus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My only issue with dropping the Herald for the DP is that I lose my requirement for the Tallyband at that point. I can split my 6 Nurglings into 2x3s but I feel it really loses the effectiveness.

1 hour ago, Havek said:

Ohhhhh, I missed that. Good point.

3 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

@Killax you are dead on about mixing things. Nurgle can benefit a ton from mortals of all shapes and sizes. I'm trying to figure out how to find 80 points to get Plague Monk in my list. Great synergies there. 

I see that aswell! I think that the Plague Monks are quite the deal aswell. The thing that is just a little frustrating is that they arn't Battleline. Though as mentioned in other topics I hope GH2 will remove Battleline completely.

I understand the way how Monsters, Leaders and Artillery are capped in number but for me Battleline as a minimum requirement makes little to no sence. Simply because we have narrative confirmation that Battalions are the Warbands several Armies are made up of. So what exactly is Battleline adding if we have narrative confirmation that pretty much everything can be Battleline (even Heroes/Leaders by themselves!).

But to point to some other models I really like from Clan Pestilence:
- Plague Priest with Plague Censer, Pestilent Breath on a Great Unclean One or other large model just seems amazing to me. Wither works out just fine also in other scenarios.
- Plague Claw is just amazing ranged support! 
- Verminlord Corrupter seems like a great alternative to a GUO

I mean combine that with Putrid Blightknights and it seems like you can create some nastyness. 

6 hours ago, Killax said:

What suprises me so far is that Ive not yet seen many mix up all the Nurgle forces options into one. Are players not interested in what Clan Pestilence has to offer? Is there any reason to not mix Mortals and Daemons for a greater synergy tree?

My original plan after picking up the daemon start collecting box was to get a maggoth lord, some blight kings and then the start collecting clan pestilens box.  Then a friend gave me about a hundred miniatures for skirmish and then the new 40k came out and I want my daemons to work there as well, so I'm going in on a starter with a friend, so yeah.  My painting que is a long way away from my original plan.

4 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

My original plan after picking up the daemon start collecting box was to get a maggoth lord, some blight kings and then the start collecting clan pestilens box.  Then a friend gave me about a hundred miniatures for skirmish and then the new 40k came out and I want my daemons to work there as well, so I'm going in on a starter with a friend, so yeah.  My painting que is a long way away from my original plan.

I completely get that! I wish I had time left to focus on over the 2K Chaos Warriors I still have lying around and about. The focus on Blades of Khorne has basically left me focused on Daemons of Khorne and Khorne Bloodbound.

However what I do think is really cool is that if you want to you can cherry pick in Nurgle to add what you like. With the Blightknights as Elite, Daemons as Attrition and Clan Pestilence as support and chaff basically... It's a set up I dig, it's a set up that can become really powerful once Nurgle will be his own Alliance aswell :) .

2 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Lol. My Nurgle Demons WERE for AoS only, but now will also show up in the 41st Mil

Just how close the new 40k is to Age of Sigmar is exactly what I wanted out of a new edition of that game.

My daemons are going to show up in the far future as well as in the mortal realms for sure.  I'm also thinking of cutting some parts and magnetizing things to make the plague marines in the new box into more blight kings.  I'd need to do the feet so I could swap bases, the powerpacks would need to be removed and the weapons.  Given how many extra weapons and parts come in the blight king box, I think it could work.

2 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Lol. My Nurgle Demons WERE for AoS only, but now will also show up in the 41st Mil

Yeah the beauty of Daemons is that they show up everywhere! Which reminds me to share some cool alternatives:

gluttony-fan-leg_grande.jpg?v=1338410776 Daemon Prince

Just how close the new 40k is to Age of Sigmar is exactly what I wanted out of a new edition of that game.

I like that the relationship isn't clear. That mystery is cool. Different times? Different part of the galaxy? Different dimensions entirely? Kind of up to us to ponder and decide. It gives the chaos gods a lot more depth.

9 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I like that the relationship isn't clear. That mystery is cool. Different times? Different part of the galaxy? Different dimensions entirely? Kind of up to us to ponder and decide. It gives the chaos gods a lot more depth.

My best guess is that it's a different universe. A universe that will find portals to each other somewhere in 2030 ;) 

What we do know is that the Realms of Chaos and their Dark Gods are the same. Daemonic names have showed up both in AoS and 40K.

On 2017-5-14 at 7:36 PM, Arkiham said:

It is, as is plaguetouched. The offense comes from unut sizes.

Unit of 14 blightkings deals a mortal wound when attacked on a to wound roll of a 6. And you can still save that so they could end up hurting themselves more than you.

I'm not a fan of the Plaguetouched Warband.

Dealing out mortal wounds seems effective but having to take multiples of 7 is a real handicap. With Blightkings you need to take units of 14 which is a crazy high points sink. You'll only be able to take one or two units of them.

When it comes to marauders and other units that come in 10s, you'd want to take them in 28s to avoid paying for too many minis you couldn't field. 

Across an army you'd have a load of units with models left at home. For me, you'll lose more than you gain. 

2 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I'm not a fan of the Plaguetouched Warband.

Dealing out mortal wounds seems effective but having to take multiples of 7 is a real handicap. With Blightkings you need to take units of 14 which is a crazy high points sink. You'll only be able to take one or two units of them.

When it comes to marauders and other units that come in 10s, you'd want to take them in 28s to avoid paying for too many minis you couldn't field. 

Across an army you'd have a load of units with models left at home. For me, you'll lose more than you gain. 

You can do, I ran a unit of 14 blight kings and 28 chaos warriors with 10 marauders as battleline, it's..do-able at 2k. But far better at 2.5k onwards 

These are definitely battalions where points were not considered when making them 

Yesterday i tabled an ironjawz with a surprise plaguetouched warband list. He was playing gordrakk, 15 brutes, hardboyz, pigs and some heroes.

And i must admit that i was wrong at considering warriors useless, they are probably the best unit with plaguetouched, far better than plaguebearers (in my other list i played 30, with shield and glottkin buff and still didn' tank that much)

Some great figures on here.

Was starting my army and going through bits I got to the beginnings of a 1k list (Mortal Nurgle)

Harbinger of Decay                      140

Putrid Blightkings x5  (BL)          180

Chaos Knights x5                         200

So with the last 300 any ideas

Maybe another 5 knights with 100pts left

or Bloab Rotspawned with 40pts left?

or some Chaos warriors or Mauraders 

Any ideas?

4 hours ago, SimonL said:

Some great figures on here.

Was starting my army and going through bits I got to the beginnings of a 1k list (Mortal Nurgle)

Harbinger of Decay                      140

Chaos Knights x5                         200

So with the last 300 any ideas

Maybe another 5 knights with 100pts left

or Bloab Rotspawned with 40pts left?

or some Chaos warriors or Mauraders 

Any ideas?

Def bloab.

You guys know, that 95% of all posted lists here lack model count, right?

In my experience, Nurgle cant win by smashing the opponent, because the damage output is too low. But Nurgle can still get alot of wins, if you are playing just for objectives. I think most of the Nurgle players dont get it and want to kill the opponent, what is the wrong tactic...

I also think (yeah very uncommon opinion) that the Glottkin is just great. Take 30 Plague Bearers, cast spell on them and let them sit on enemy objective all day long.

Every Nurgle list should  have:

Much Plague Bearers (one of the best battlelines out there!). Dont go for 10 per unit. Take at least 20, better 30 per unit.

Get a GUO - he is just great.

Dont stick with the overestimated Harbringer. If you can afford, get a Glottkin and protect him well. Dont rush with him and dont make stupid charges into nowhere.

Get Epidemus. One of the best buffers in the game.

Archived