Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

One of the things I've been experimenting with is singleton Beasts of Nurgle. 

Strengths:

• Units firing at them may be wasting potential either because in a tally-band they will either heal up fast or be overkilled by massive firing units.
  • While not a 'fast' unit, they are maneuverable with the run/charge or run/retreat abilities. Block up charge lanes.
  • Cheap at 60 points a model?
  • Can help get unit numbers up to larger Tallybands for less points spend. 

Weaknesses:

• Inconsistent and unreliable in combat.
  • Will give up VPs in some scenarios.
  • Doesn't take much to get rid of them, especially with shooting.
  • Can't summon singletons?

I'm enjoying using them in a skirmisher role per ancient combat traditions. They add some mobility to a pretty slow army. Anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aaron Schmidt I think the Beast is a nice 'guard dog' / road block and potential objective holder.

In general he's cheap so if you don't have anything to fill those last 60-ish points with he seems like a solid and fast choice, a model that can jump from scenery piece to scenery piece and go all in for an objective.

Actually here is an idea for a list...

• GUO - 240
  • PB x20 - 200
  • PB x20 - 200
  • PB x10 - 100
  • Drones x3 - 220
  • Herald - 100
  • Herald - 100
  • Herald - 100
  • Herald - 100
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Beast x1 - 60
  • Tallyband - 100

1k on the nose. Its very spammy but could be interesting. You can lose 4 beasts before tallyband drops to D3. One way you could insulate some of the Beasts is to put some of them into a summoning pool, unless the battalion rules state that they need to be on the table to contribute to the tallyband. 

@Aaron Schmidt I like it, I truely do. Granted I also think that this is the type of Battalion you want to use for 2K and less so for 1K as with your current set up your having 5 Leaders in a 1K list and that's not possible under most normal Matched play list constructions. Perhaps you have other House-rules who do allow this.

[mention=712]Aaron Schmidt[/mention] I like it, I truely do. Granted I also think that this is the type of Battalion you want to use for 2K and less so for 1K as with your current set up your having 5 Leaders in a 1K list and that's not possible under most normal Matched play list constructions. Perhaps you have other House-rules who do allow this.

Yeah, meant to say 2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps replace 1 or 2 of the heralds with more PBs?

Totally. Buff up those PB units never hurts. Wanted to get the masses of beasts their locus. Curious if or what changes will be in the points for Nurgle units in GHB2.... OR if they'll get a battletome changing their units.

10 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Totally. Buff up those PB units never hurts. Wanted to get the masses of beasts their locus. Curious if or what changes will be in the points for Nurgle units in GHB2.... OR if they'll get a battletome changing their units.

I, too, anxiously await a battletome release. Until then, I play with Tzeentch and Khorne, learning the complexities in their current new books. (especially Tzeentch):P. Until Nurgle gets some love, we'll have to content ourselves with playing mostly tarpit lists. Kind of boring really. It's too bad, as Nurgle has been my favorite mark for many reasons for many years. Here's hoping for a massive facelift.

16 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

So I could do with some advice for lower point games... just got totally swamped by death at 1000pts. Ran a Tallyband and my GUO got taken out early by skellies, so it was kind of an uphill struggle from there :(

Never send your heros into a horde if skeletons. Or zombies or a horde of anything really. It's literally sending your best unit into a death trap. Large sized units are best at taking down monsters. Send them a tarpit of 30 plaguebearers. Have the guo behind them vommitting on them and activating the locus. Nurgle is a battle of attrition. A true late game army. 

Never send your heros into a horde if skeletons. Or zombies or a horde of anything really. It's literally sending your best unit into a death trap. Large sized units are best at taking down monsters. Send them a tarpit of 30 plaguebearers. Have the guo behind them vommitting on them and activating the locus. Nurgle is a battle of attrition. A true late game army. 

This.

Oh yeh, lesson learned there for sure! I only had 2 units of 10 PBs in that game, plus some drones, a herald and 2 x beasts in the Tallyband. Not sure I would've been able to win a war of attrition anyway... worth changing the list up?

The plaguebearers are the anvil. I think yout either need more than minimum 10 demon units or a 20 strong one, plus others. I liked 2x 20 & 1x 10 a lot.

26 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

The plaguebearers are the anvil. I think yout either need more than minimum 10 demon units or a 20 strong one, plus others. I liked 2x 20 & 1x 10 a lot.

Yeh you're right there for sure. Only problem is I can't see much of a way of fitting it in at 1000pts. If I beef up my anvil I run out of points for a hammer!

6 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Yeh you're right there for sure. Only problem is I can't see much of a way of fitting it in at 1000pts. If I beef up my anvil I run out of points for a hammer!

Oh yeah, not at 1k. I'd probably stick with 2x 10 or try 1x 20 1x10. That would leave you with 700 points. Plaguebearers are pretty cheap for what the can do.

I was playing around with a couple lists and I was just wondering if you folks can try picking apart this one.

Thanks!

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)
- General
- Trait: Great Destroyer
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff (80)

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (200)
20 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (200)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)

Units
9 x Nurglings (240)

War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)
Plagueclaw (180)
Plagueclaw (180)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (100)
Foulrain Congregation (100)

Total: 2000/2000

The 9 bases of Nurglings aren't really set in stone for anything in particular, but I felt like it would be a tough unit to shift around once they've setup on an objective.

Looks like it would be fun to try. I was looking at the catapults too. Not totally sold on them... 3 however could cause a lot of trouble, especially on big units. What about dropping a herald and the Nurglings to get a Demon prince in there for late game exploits. I'm not seeing the Heralds doing much past providing locus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What suprises me so far is that Ive not yet seen many mix up all the Nurgle forces options into one. Are players not interested in what Clan Pestilence has to offer? Is there any reason to not mix Mortals and Daemons for a greater synergy tree?

If anything I think we'll eventually see a mix of Nurgle forces also but by God-specific comparison the depth Nurgle has available is amazing!
As a result of this I think the Silver Tower/Garden of Nurgle/Nurgle's Manse expansion might simply include a lot of what we allready know and maby 1 additional unit for Nurgle Mortals to work with.. 

What I do hope is that once Nurgle will recieve it's expansion that we also see some Abilities reworded. I think the vast mayority of ideas is really great but small alterations could make it awesome.

For example, I hope to see the Plague Beast look for Nurgle Heroes instead of Heralds, this would make him every Nurgle Heroes friend, which he is :) 

12 minutes ago, Killax said:

For example, I hope to see the Plague Beast look for Nurgle Heroes instead of Heralds, this would make him every Nurgle Heroes friend, which he is :) 

Weird thing is, the grand alliance book does say Nurgle daemon heroes, but the app still says plaguebearer heroes :S

32 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Weird thing is, the grand alliance book does say Nurgle daemon heroes, but the app still says plaguebearer heroes :S

Yeah! Found the link: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-beast-of-nurgle-en.pdf

Moral is, that I think it would be cooler to have him as simple Nurgel Hero. It's basically a Nurgle dog and I don't think dogs would care about your mortality :P

Archived