Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

I like new models as much as the next guy but to me this nurgle update is more about providing nurgle players with the right looking abilities, spells and synergies to compete at the same level as other updated armies. So cool we get so many new minis even if pestigors and a few others are missing. Now my hands are raised because I love that it will soon make sense to play my nurgle again. Always loved the blightkings, the flies and nurglings too and now it actually make sense to use them again and I don’t even have to add 173637292 chaos warriors to have a fighting mans chance. This is very welcomed news..

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's exactly the point of the Battletomes! I also hope that in 2018 GW will be able to create some more and not have months on end between them. I'm not so much voting for a Codex crunch like they did for 40K but I do think that even if Warscrolls are in Battletomes of units yet to be released a lot of more people will start to love AoS more and more.

In my opinion this applies for all. Doing a Faction justice currently is giving it Allegiance Abilities, from Battle Trait to Artefacts. I think Deathrattle should be next and like with Nurgle it will probably not be actually called Deathrattle either.

Now there are still enough issues I have with the game, most of them are Ranged combat and Battalion based but overall what is cool is that AoS can be heaps of fun and quite tactical IF your facing armies who recieved the same update as your army (or none, that's an option too).

What I think Nurgle will do best with this book is character killing directly and indirectly through spells, have incredible attrition (wounds for Mortals, Trees for Daemons) and good board control to have it all blend as good as you'd like. IF a player is to add Clan Pestilens ranged attacks your basically gaining acces to all good stuff within the game.

My last hope is that the Maggot Lords kit will also have an unnamed Maggot Lord. One that a player can customize itself. The only thing Nurgle suffered from is the insane ammount of Named Characters and this could come back to pester the faction if not enough un-named Characters are available to actually use Artefacts with.

Blessed be thy rot!

I can't see how anyone would be dissapointed with this release. Even without it, Nurgle are an interesting force with StD and Pestilens giving extra flavour- that's why i chose them for my GT force. They've just added a load of amazing minis with great rules.  

14 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

So how many of you think that Nurgle armies will be able to deal with the Kroaknado combo? In other ways than adding pestilens plague claw catapults?

We'll see. I do not ever believe poor design that dominates Tournaments at that moment should ever influence army design.
From time to time I see forum goers thinking that armies are (re)designed with a particular "need to deal with X" in mind. I can assure you this is almost never the case. 

What is the case is that there are some parts in AoS that arn't really examples of very well thought out design. I personally don't even know why GH2017 does contain the Vortex but no anti-alternative for it. It's bound to skew the game in someone's favour.

So instead if you do want to be tournament potent you'll likely use a Vortex for Nurgle too...

1 minute ago, Sigwarus said:

Rotigus needs no vortex! But you're right, the vortex is bad game design. We have banned it in my area as the only game restriction and it works wonders. 

Yeah looking at FB and other online groups, every vortex is for a tzeentch force. Seems like we'll be playing 50% tzeentch with gaunt summoner on a vortex in 2018! To be honest, we do have some things to counter it and the additional shooting and mortal wound output from the battletome should help. 

8 minutes ago, Killax said:

So instead if you do want to be tournament potent you'll likely use a Vortex for Nurgle too...

Well I really don’t. I never go to tournements course I suffer from ‘not being able to field models that I find either boring or ugly’. So building entire armies out of a few op warscrolls is not why I enjoy AOS. I do like to win though?

1 minute ago, LLC said:

I agree with you guys, I was just being greedy. I really am just excited for the book. It'll be so fun!!

Anyone know what this tree is gonna do?

I'm very eager to find out the tree too! By the looks of it it is a terrain piece. Which means all effects from the Cycle of Decay are actually relevant effects the moment you add it.
image.png

I do think Nurgle still has to pay for it but ideally it allows you to summon Daemons from that point like a Wizard. The cool thing is really that AoS design can get quite crazy so I hope it's truely an interesting piece that will allow you to play as if you are in the Garden of Nurgle :D 

1 minute ago, Greasygeek said:

Well I really don’t. I never go to tournements course I suffer from ‘not being able to field models that I find either boring or ugly’. So building entire armies out of a few op warscrolls is not why I enjoy AOS. I do like to win though?

Same here! But I think Nurgle will certainly be relevant enough with spells and artefacts. This pretty much applies to all and the confirmed discount on Blightkings only opens more doors to play in a competitive way.

Cheers,

4 minutes ago, LLC said:

Anyone know what this tree is gonna do?

No but b sure to let us know. I impatiently awaits knowledge about the awesome looking tree of blight! 

Asked about a few days ago and it is specilated to be either a scenery similar in effect to the Sylvaneth Wyldwood or maybe just as a beacon of summoning or something that might boost/damage nearby units.

but for all we know it could also just b a fancy coathanger for Rotigus to hang his hat.

4 minutes ago, Killax said:

I'm very eager to find out the tree too! By the looks of it it is a terrain piece. Which means all effects from the Cycle of Decay are actually relevant effects the moment you add it.
image.png

I do think Nurgle still has to pay for it but ideally it allows you to summon Daemons from that point like a Wizard. The cool thing is really that AoS design can get quite crazy so I hope it's truely an interesting piece that will allow you to play as if you are in the Garden of Nurgle :D 

Same here! But I think Nurgle will certainly be relevant enough with spells and artefacts. This pretty much applies to all and the confirmed discount on Blightkings only opens more doors to play in a competitive way.

Cheers,

Either tomorrow or Sunday we should see a preview on the tree. I just hope there's at least a little bit of meat in its article.

2 minutes ago, LLC said:

Hmm, I play vs a seraphon and tzeench player so they almost always just shut down any summoning or spells I want to use. I Hope all the buffs dont come in those forms! 

Yeah in th schoolyard of magic Nurgle sorcerers used to be bullied a lot. Hope thats over. We never really had any positive modifiers to casting..

5 hours ago, Killax said:

I think Deathrattle should be next and like with Nurgle it will probably not be actually called Deathrattle either.

I'd really love for factions like Deathrattle, Soulblight, and Nighthaunt get a BoK, DoT, MoN treatment where the underlying keywords of Skeleton, Vampire, and Malignant become the base keyword for the respective faction. It wouldn't be quite the mix the that the Chaos factions got, but it'd add unit some mortarchs and mortis engines to their logical companions. Almost certainly won't happen for Soulblight or Nighthaunt anytime soon, but I could see it for Deathrattle.

Tree is scenery ! Nurgle gains sylvaneth style

Translation below:

Nurgles garden deserves its name and is home to countless vile plants. The Feculent Gnarlmaw is an example of this horrid flora and can be found everywhere where the devotees of Nurgle gather in big numbers. These hellish trees are not only a symptom of demonic infection but also gates to Nurgles realm of nightmares, through which the demons of Nurgle come to spread the boons of the plaguefather.

The Feculent Gnarlmaw is a terrain model made from plastic for Warhammer 40k and AoS that can be build with a selection of additional Plaguebells. Rules for its use can be found in the codex Chaos Demons and Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle.

Preorder 6th of January Available 13th of Janu

IMG-20171230-WA0004.jpg

On 12/29/2017 at 6:44 AM, HypnoKraken said:

So, I want to start a Nurgle army, however I'm planning on waiting for the new BT and models. Is there anything I could order in the meantime that would be almost a must have in an army? Going with the Rotbringers theme

I got me some Plaguebearers. I don't think that's risky even if it's not rotbringers. Tbh they may go up in price. They're cheap for 10! Relatively speaking.

I am going to focus mostly on demons but depending on what the BT reveals I may have a more mixed force than I plan now when the time comes.

Do you alla think a full mortal Nurgle army will be still viable? I am really afraid that they'll change the harbinger of decay and without him i doubt we will be able to field a mortal Nurgle list as resilient as before.

Also they added 3 warscroll to all the mortal range, really short on release. And we still have no economic troop beside marauders. 

9 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Do you alla think a full mortal Nurgle army will be still viable? I am really afraid that they'll change the harbinger of decay and without him i doubt we will be able to field a mortal Nurgle list as resilient as before.

Also they added 3 warscroll to all the mortal range, really short on release. And we still have no economic troop beside marauders. 

Hopefully if they have, the lord of blights can fill that role. If that’s the case, fingers crossed it’s not his command ability. 

Tbh as things stand I’ll be mixing daemons and mortals. The list I have in my head will be drones, blight Lords, pbs, spoilpox, guo (with bell) and lord of affliction. Of course that will probably change however haha. 

Plaguebearers seem like a safe investment, but it's hard to tell until we get more info on the new rules on the battletome. I'm in the same position too, I want to start but frankly the best thing will be to just wait for now unless there is a unit you really want to use.

Archived