Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Anyone gonna be working an endless spell or two into their list?

Absolutely! Here's my re-worked 1000 list:

1x Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle - 120

1x Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle - 120

10x Plaguebearers - 120

3x Nurglings - 100

5x Putrid Blightkings - 160

5x Putrid Blightkings - 160

1x Plagueclaw Catapult OR 5x Putrid Blightkings - 160 (plagueclaw got a small cost reduction)

The Burning Head - 40

Quicksilver Swords - 20

With two casters, I can keep one in the back to spin my wheel and unbind spells, and one up front controlling Endless Spells or buffing friendlies with an artifact like The Witherstave for a 12" -1 hit bubble.

Nurglings are just there to help earn contagion points early on.

Plaguebearers will either hold a backline objective such as in Knife to the Heart, or screen the Poxbringer general. If they're stuck holding an objective, they will be tough to remove with their penalty to get hit in ranged, plus the backline Poxbringer will be there to activate their locus.

Blightkings are the obvious hammers that can also take a punch.

Not totally sold on my Plagueclaw yet over the extra kings, though every time I have fielded a catapult, it's been MVP. Hurting enemy behemoths to limit their speed and damage early on, wiping away hordes, or swatting an annoying caster.

On to the spells!

The Burning Head is there so my blightkings can re-roll 1's, rather than trying to get it close to the enemy to hurt them.

The Quicksilver Swords seem undercosted to me at 20. In the tests I did today at my local GW, the swords were consistently dealing 2-3 MW's to any unit, and 5-7 to any CHAOS units. Putting that into perspective, the other "big" predatory spells like Jaws and Sun were dealing 3 wounds on average, and the sun even costs 100 points and comes with a big casting value :|

This list is exactly 1000/1000

4 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Anyone gonna be working an endless spell or two into their list?

I have 20 points left over in my planned list and I'm contemplating the malevolent maelstrom to temper some magic heavy lists, will be fun to try out at the very least. 

I’m gonna go fluffy for my new list if most of the points are staying the same:

LoA

Horticulous

Sorcerer

3x1 Beasts

Nurglings

5 Kings

5 Kings

4 Pusgoyles

Nurgle’s Menagerie

1960? So maybe an ES.

It won’t win anything but gonna try and replant that garden one tree at a time. Drop in ‘lings for distraction tree planting. Try and summon in whatever I can, some drones or a GUO for giggles maybe. 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:50 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Core rules state “understrength units may not be part of a warscroll battalion.” 

Is plaguetouched dead? 

This wouldn't make any sense. Unless they've changed it so it's only -1 to hit now? 

I have a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket and want to add a big nasty to my Nurgle army. I'm torn between a GUO and The Glottkin. 

I have a mix of mortals and daemons at the moment and will lean towards deploying mortals and summoning daemons. So both will find a use tactically. 

Can anyone weigh in on what's the better choice?

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I have a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket and want to add a big nasty to my Nurgle army. I'm torn between a GUO and The Glottkin. 

I have a mix of mortals and daemons at the moment and will lean towards deploying mortals and summoning daemons. So both will find a use tactically. 

Can anyone weigh in on what's the better choice?

I love Glottkin- his ability is the best ability Maggotkin have (save for perhaps Harbinger's 5+ for mortals, ...maybe) and his spell is easily the best. BUT even though he has 18 wounds, he has no disguntingly resilient. If you play a shooty army, like karadhron, he'll be taken off turn 1, so you may never get to play him at all. 

GUO is cheaper points-wise and almost as good a support character. His bell+bileblade is a good combo for easier spellcasting and added speed. However, his command ability is daemons only, whereas GK's is both daemons and mortal AND is a bubble effect, not a single unit. GK's also useable in a plaguetouched warband, the only nurgle battalion really worth taking (it frequently gets top 3 places in tournaments and got 1st and 2nd at London GT, one of which had Glottkin). 

Glottkin is the one I would go for (he's also cheaper money wise and a bigger model!), but he gets poo-pooed on this forum compared to GUO. I think that's partly because GUO's the new kid rules-wise and has more flexibility (there's multiple variations, so if you magnetise him (which is very easy) you'll have some nice choices, and he can access command traits and artefacts which GK as a named character cannot), but it seems they have equal representation in tournaments, so perhaps in the wider community people are evenly split. I think both are great choices though (i have both!)

Lovely response, thanks mate. My usual opponents are both Death players so I don't have shooting to worry about as such, so that might be the deciding factor that makes me go for the Glottkin. I plan to march him right up the middle of the field supported by chaos warriors with halberds so the command ability is absolutely clutch. 

Hey everyone I'm quite new to AoS but long time player of nurgle. A question about the Spolpox with his rule "keep counting" with the rule allowing to reroll 1's to hit on Plaguebearers and the Bearsers locus of fecundity already rerolling to hit 1 when the spolpox is around, do they stack? 

8 minutes ago, Perry89 said:

So by the sounds of it, it does nothing why do people swear by the schriever? His reroll 1 to charge is all I see here am i missing something?

You also reroll ones to hit, but only on plaguebearers.  The named heralds continue to be useless, fortunately with the range on unbind going up and arcane bolt being needed poxwalkers are looking better than ever

2 hours ago, Perry89 said:

Hey everyone I'm quite new to AoS but long time player of nurgle. A question about the Spolpox with his rule "keep counting" with the rule allowing to reroll 1's to hit on Plaguebearers and the Bearsers locus of fecundity already rerolling to hit 1 when the spolpox is around, do they stack? 

We'll there are 2 different bonuses happening. Plaguebearers within 7" of a Spoilpox Scrivener get several different things, the first because the Scrivener is a 'Demon Hero', the others because of the Scrivener's rules.

1. Reroll saves of 1 (from the Locus of Fecundity)
  2. Reroll 1s for charge rolls
  3. Reroll 1s for hit rolls

If Plaguebearers are within 7" of a Scrivener they get all 3 of those bonuses. 

Archived