Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

1 minute ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

That list is extremely cool... curious why Daemons have been such a let down for you though?

Thanks!

I think the let down is all me lol.

I just haven't figured out how run them.  Not having access to Drones doing mortal wounds on a 6+ to wound anymore really through me off as that was obvious crutch for me in. The past.

I'll keep at it though and this group helps a lot!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Krieger said:

Thanks!

I think the let down is all me lol.

I just haven't figured out how run them.  Not having access to Drones doing mortal wounds on a 6+ to wound anymore really through me off as that was obvious crutch for me in. The past.

I'll keep at it though and this group helps a lot!

I feel you there. I was massively disappointed when I first saw the new warscroll for drones, but since trying them out a few times I’ve been really impressed! I think pure Daemons are really solid, but branching out a little certainly makes the army stronger.

40 minutes ago, Krieger said:

have had decent results with different variations of Blights Cyst so far this year.  Pure daemons so far has been a complete let down.

With that being said I am off to my second tournament for 2018 this Saturday and I am excited to run a new list.

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing 
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact : Muttergrub 
- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes
Units
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Total: 1980 / 2000 
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 157

The trick here is the Lord of Blights adding a further -2 to shooting and -1 to hit on the Plaguebearers.  In addition he is giving them death heads which will benefit from Blades of Putrefaction if Glottkin successfully casts the spell.  Then of course we have Glottkin adding Fleshy Abundance and a potential further -1 to in combat if I exceed the enemies bravery on 2 dice within 2".

Meanwhile we have Rotigus casting his built in spell with unlimited range which stacks nicely with the sorcerer.  Each turn the Muttergrub allows the Sorcerer cast both Plague Squall (again, unlimited range) and Foul Regenesis.  Foul Regenesis will usually be used to move the wheel to Rampant Disease.  This combination results in 3 similar unlimited range mortal wound spells/abilities going off each turn.  Giving us the range and mortal wound output that Nurgle is usually lacking.  

You can't give death's head ability to plaguebearers, only blightkings. I also don't think an additional -2 to hit in shooting is worth is for plaguebearers- because most units hit on 4+ in ranged and 6s always hit, making it -4 is probably useless in most instances, though -2 in combat is great. I would also say that Glottkin without being general makes him not worth taking at all. Just take another great unclean one! Though having said that I have zero tournament experience, so if it works for you go for it!

I would be tempted to drop lord of blights, make Glottkin general and take gutrot spume and combine two of the blightkings to get 10 blightkings+gutrot deep striking somewhere. Seeing as you have no summoning nor any fast unit, I think having some kind of deep strike (or fast moving units) to split the opponent's attention and to control the table more effectively is really missing from your list. 

It's also important to note that "rampant disease" is "At the beginning of the hero phase" and so won't activate the same turn you move the dial from a spell. You'd have to move the dial to the space before and then activate rampant disease the following turn. In practice its the same, but you miss out on it for the first turn.

9 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I would be tempted to drop lord of blights, make Glottkin general and take gutrot spume and combine two of the blightkings to get 10 blightkings+gutrot deep striking somewhere. Seeing as you have no summoning nor any fast unit, I think having some kind of deep strike (or fast moving units) to split the opponent's attention and to control the table more effectively is really missing from your list. 

@KriegerThis is GREAT advice. You do lose the grandfathers blessing, but you do GAIN 30 attacks on those plagueboi's and glotkin himself! 

I assume the sorcerer is a foul regen. caster with plague squall for gravy damage? Have you tried this before? is he worth the cost?

43 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@KriegerThis is GREAT advice. You do lose the grandfathers blessing, but you do GAIN 30 attacks on those plagueboi's and glotkin himself! 

I assume the sorcerer is a foul regen. caster with plague squall for gravy damage? Have you tried this before? is he worth the cost?

I haven't tried it before but I am hoping that plague squall goes from being so so to being amazing if it's stacked on the Rotigus spell and rampant disease.  Even if Foul Regenesis means it doesn't go off until the second turn.

So staying with same list but dropping the Blight Lord.  As suggested I think Gutrot Spume is a good choice, but I think I want to try to add to the armies durability instead.

Here is what I am thinking.

www.warscrollbuilder.com
Allegiance: Chaos
Leaders
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
Units
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
Total: 2000 / 2000 
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 155

The chaos sorcerer Lord will give the 10 blightkings a 3+ save rerolling 1s if he casts mystic shield.  Alternatively he can cast Cloying Quagmire if the enemy his heavily armored.  Plus his built in spell could be used if I really need to chop up hordes.

I also changed Rotigus secondary spell to Glorius Affliction.  This spell is just way too good if everything else goes to hell lol.  Being 21" and only a 5 to cast I can reliably stop big nasties like Nagash for a turn and stay outside unbind range.

1 minute ago, Krieger said:

So staying with same list but dropping the Blight Lord.  As suggested I think Gutrot Spume is a good choice, but I think I want to try to add to the armies durability instead.

www.warscrollbuilder.com
Leaders
Rotigus (340)
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
- Runestaff
Units
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

The chaos sorcerer Lord will give the 10 blightkings a 3+ save rerolling 1s if he casts mystic shield.  Alternatively he can cast Cloying Quagmire if the enemy his heavily armored.  Plus his built in spell could be used if I really need to chop up hordes.

I also changed Rotigus secondary spell to Glorius Affliction.  This spell is just way too good if everything else goes to hell lol.  Being 21" and only a 5 to cast I can reliably stop big nasties like Nagash for a turn and stay outside unbind range.

That's a really nice list. The sorcerer lord+blightkings is actually a killer combo I hadn't thought of before! Might have to steal that! Glorious affliction seems like a very powerful spell, especially when targeting fast moving heroes that buff enemy units. Makes the whole force slow down. 

Please report back with how this worked for you in the tournament!

5 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

That's a really nice list. The sorcerer lord+blightkings is actually a killer combo I hadn't thought of before! Might have to steal that! Glorious affliction seems like a very powerful spell, especially when targeting fast moving heroes that buff enemy units. Makes the whole force slow down. 

Please report back with how this worked for you in the tournament!

Thanks and will do!

I'll try to make Grand Papa proud ?

52 minutes ago, Krieger said:

www.warscrollbuilder.com
Leaders
Rotigus (340)
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
- Runestaff
Units
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Nice list and you can actually switch it up on demand depending on what you want to try, without messing around too much with the core. I personally use Glott, GUO, Gutrot and Festus with the troops being very similar.

I'm tempted to try a batallion for once, and I'll go with Plaguetouched as it's the cheapest.

What do you guys think about this list, and what artifact would you choose on the LoA:

The Glottkin (420)
- General
Festus The Leechlord (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Afflictions (220) Artifact (?)
Units
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (440)
40(35) x Chaos Marauders (200)
30(28) x Chaos Marauders (180)
Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (100)
Total: 2000/2000

2 units to send wounds out, good heroes, -1 to hit for the whole family, and one drop. C&C welcome from more experienced Plaguetouched users!

54 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Nice list and you can actually switch it up on demand depending on what you want to try, without messing around too much with the core. I personally use Glott, GUO, Gutrot and Festus with the troops being very similar.

I'm tempted to try a batallion for once, and I'll go with Plaguetouched as it's the cheapest.

What do you guys think about this list, and what artifact would you choose on the LoA:

The Glottkin (420)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Afflictions (220) Artifact (?)
Units
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (440)
40(35) x Chaos Marauders (200)
30(28) x Chaos Marauders (180)
Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (100)
Total: 2000/2000

2 units to send wounds out, good heroes, -1 to hit for the whole family, and one drop. C&C welcome from more experienced Plaguetouched users!

Pusgoyles are a brave choice. Beware, if glott die they hit like pillows.

Loa screams for rustfang in this list.

Without harbinger i think that 1 unit of marauders is enough. Also 28 is ugly cause for 20 points more you could have 7 more. I would drop them to 10 and get a poxbringer with favoured poxes in order to use 2nd artefact and to have another strong debuff

Hey guys, 

Got a game against a Bonsplitterz army next week, can you help me with my list?

The Glottkin (420)

- General

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact : Rustfang
Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Total: 1960 / 2000

This is what i would usually run but maybe i should ditch the Festus and Gutrot and go for blight cyst instead? Not sure what he has but he said hes got 3 units of 30 and other stuff so i expect Rukk and am scared of those arrows! My strat is just focus the big boss then ranged units while trying to hide in  cover, cheers

2 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

Hey guys, 

Got a game against a Bonsplitterz army next week, can you help me with my list?

The Glottkin (420)

- General

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact : Rustfang
Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Total: 1960 / 2000

This is what i would usually run but maybe i should ditch the Festus and Gutrot and go for blight cyst instead? Not sure what he has but he said hes got 3 units of 30 and other stuff so i expect Rukk and am scared of those arrows! My strat is just focus the big boss then ranged units while trying to hide in  cover, cheers

Playing glottkin against kunnin rukk is a suicide! xD

Give the Herald poxes or affliction, he doesn't want to be 7" close to the enemy

28 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Pusgoyles are a brave choice. Beware, if glott die they hit like pillows.

Loa screams for rustfang in this list.

Without harbinger i think that 1 unit of marauders is enough. Also 28 is ugly cause for 20 points more you could have 7 more. I would drop them to 10 and get a poxbringer with favoured poxes in order to use 2nd artefact and to have another strong debuff

Yeah I dont know about Pusgoyles, I normally use 6 drones, but I think I could achieve greater results with pusgoyles, because of the toscin and the explosive hits. They will also be -1 to hit in that list, and less dependant on Blades. I've done some tests and if you compare 4 double buffed drone vs 4 buffed Pusgoyle (because 6 might not make it) you just lose 1 attack.

I like your idea with the poxbringer, I'm so not used to play batallion that I forgot about the 2nd artifact.

Thanks for the input!

2 hours ago, Krieger said:

www.warscrollbuilder.com
Leaders
Rotigus (340)
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Sorcerer (120)
- Runestaff
Units
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

give sorcerer muttergrub. now he can cast plague squall and foul regen.

Ok. So this preliminary list is just based on theory, and meant to inform my first purchase choices:

Leaders:

GUO - Bell and Blade - General - Grandfather's Blessing - Favored Poxes

Poxbringer - Favored Poxes

Sorcerer - Plague  Squall

Festus- Blades of Putrification

Gutrot

Lord of Afflications - Witherstave

Battleline:

30x Plaguebearers

10x Blightkings

5x Blightkings

Other:

3x Plague Drones

1960pts.

Notes:

Favored poxes twice  because I don't like the other 2 daemon spells. Poxes seems good once the caster is camping an objective, e.g., and this gives me flexibility. 

Plan is for GUO to cast Foul Regenesis to cycle back to #5 or #1, and either Plague Wind/Poxes; grandfather's blessing and bile blade to ensure cycle manipulation goes off.

Poxbringer for 'bearers locus, and when in position poxes on unit attacking 'bearers (who camp objective?)

Sorcerer with Plague Squall hopefully draws fire away from Festus and Poxbringer - and if ignored will dish out mortal wounds

Festus  in near backfield casts Blades on either 'bearers or 'drones as situation dictates - heals GUO or Poxbringer or Sorcerer.

LoA and Drones are mobile hammer unit. "Firemen." LoA for locus and speed and Duality of Death objective holder/taker. LOA is expensive enough to merit wither stave??

Gutrot and 10xKings to cause trouble in opponent's backfield. 

5xKings to round-out battleine requirement.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input....

@Shaft interested in your thoughts on the Tallyband generally, and forgot to tag you before! I’m thinking of trying this list:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath  
- Artefact: The Endless Gift  
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

Any thoughts from anyone? 

3 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

@Shaft interested in your thoughts on the Tallyband generally, and forgot to tag you before! I’m thinking of trying this list:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath  
- Artefact: The Endless Gift  
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

Any thoughts from anyone? 

I don't know nothing. But it seems to me like you need at least one non-daemon wizard at a minimum so you can cast Blades of Putrification.  Daemons can't do it, and it seems to me if you want the Drones to be a hammer you need those 6's to be mortal wounds.  The GUO command ability and locus for the Drones adds 2 attacks to EACH of their weapon profiles.  That's what can make them hit hard.  So you need a daemon hero who can keep up with them as well.  I'm thinking Lord of Afflication myself, but other seem to think Harbinger (cheaper), Deamon prince,  or even the snail.  Anyway, the key to the drones, IMO, is the double-buff from the locus and GUO combined with blades of putrid.   Just my semi-informed 2 cents(or pence for you guy across the pond).   

Archived