The Redfistz

THE REDFISTS

Boz gazed over his mob of Ardboys, as they readied for the attack. Aside from the quiet clanks of armour rubbing at each others parts, the tightening of leather strappings from plated metal and the sharpening of a blade and axes here and there, there was no other sound. A sense of pride went through him as he turned around and looked down fiercely at the small army of chaos humies, knowing that his boys were the best and baddest. They`ve already spotted the orruks, as they suddenly halted to build the monument for their god, a dogfaced beast with enormous wings like a bat. Soon it would bear the face of Gork....or Mork. 'That depends on da point of view' he thought. Not that it mattered. Soon their armour would fit neatly into his own, as they too wore the colors of the Bloodtoofs, the Ironjaw tribe him and his boys were aligned with. The collection of trophies would let everyone tremble. Tremble before the wrath of the Redfists...

Hello everyone, and welcome to my AOS project! I've always had something for the blackorc models and Age of Sigmar has inspired me with it's simplicity, especially because of my dwindling hobby time. I've actually played only a little so far and this year I have not played any game at all. Anyway, I wanted to do somethinh orky and I like the whole range of the Ironjawz too whilst practicing to paint the color red. So a troop of Bloodtoofs started to shape before my eye and it didn't take me long to get started.

In order to keep myself motivated for a long time, I set myself some smaller goals:

- build a small force for AoS28
- Paint ten Arboys for demos
- completely paint the contents of the Getting Started Box
- paint a unit of each orruk ironjaw unit

So I thought I`d start off with a getting started box, as for one, they are there for it and for another, I simply liked the composition. I admit, it was also a little bit of curiousity that drove me to buy that box, as I had about ten old blackorc minis still lying around somewhere, but the magic drives best, when something is fresh and new.

So a the box and a shaman quickly found their way to me and I gotta say, it way kind of nice opening that thing. The boxes comes neatly packed and would be a good transportbox at the same time, if there were some adequate foaminlays available for it.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20655_zpsvkzupnny.j

I also like that they delivered a chart of the used paints along the assembly manual and, what`s really kind of nice, the seperate rules for every model. So if you want to play, you could basically carry that box, completely ready to play, with you.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20656_zpsrcemu1jh.j

But the amount of miniatures is somewhat intimidating and I haven`t even built everything yet.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20657_zpshm7rqg7c.j

So, I`ve just started with one of the boys to test the colorscheme and even though I am not totally satisfied, it does look well enough on the red spots. I`ll post some more pics later.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20659_zpsogns86fz.j

@Soulsmith thanks! I wish I could paint more like a pro, but I`m kind of trying to find a middle here in between painter and gamer.

The first guy is actually done already, I just didn`t have the time to upload the pictures in the morning. So here he is. Let`s call him..."Slagga".

Slagga looked past Boz into the valley, where the remains of Khorne`s victims laid and his worshippers tried to humble him with a giant statue of his persona. One of the redclad warriors pointed into the direction of the Redfistz` mob and he had the feeling that the disciple of chaos pointed at him. He had to smile unwillingly, while the blades of his choppas slid against each other.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20660_zpsjwgikuk5.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20661_zpswytdhz04.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20662_zpsjp9iwhjg.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20663_zpsvpzwemct.j

The yellow teeth didn`t turn out that well and the Bloodtoof actually have rather flamelike glyphs, so I might eventually repaint the ones on the elbowplate a bit, to resemble that more. Other than that, I`m okay with the outcome.

I started painting on the next guy yesterday and I gotta say, I don`t know what it is, but this guy just paints incredibly well and somehow faster than the first one. I guess there is simply less detailed stuff on him, or at least stuff that is in the same colorrange as most of the mini.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20664_zpsdelnepuu.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20665_zpsfgydvfud.j

The pants and belts are also already finished and I just finished applying the second layer of red. We`ll see how this guy turns out. I have decided to go with the more traditional flameglyphs instead of the toothy ones, and I will keep the amount rather low. Sometimes less is just more, so I hope the mini won`t look overloaded with detail.

So I`ve finished the second Ardboy and must say, I am a lot more pleased with this guy than the last orruk. The red just seems to pop out a lot better due to a slight change in the recipe for it, and I stayed with a no-gold-parts scheme on this guy. It just seems to harmonize a lot better overall and I think I`ll stick to this for the rest of the army. Another thing that just went a lot better were the flame glyphs, which I also changed in style, to resemble the Bloodtoof tribe a lot stronger.

The mini kind of painted itself. As it is an old miniature, there was a lot less fizzly detail on it, so I`m kind of eager to find out, if the colors are gonna look the same on one of the newer boyz, when I follow the same method. The other one is probably going to take a bath in sterilizer sooner or later, but that has time. There is a lot more orruks left, where that one came from.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20667_zpszv6vx7q2.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20668_zpshq1azrpz.j

I`ll also change the background a bit and the Redfistz will be rather a certain mob within the Bloodtoof tribe, but they`ll still have their own story and I want to keep the outpostbuilding thing with them. So a few boys always stay behind and secure the Bloodtoof territory, just to habe an excuse to build a small fort :)

Now....what will we call this guy? I intend to paint his name onto the bottom of the mini, when I`m done with the base.

So, I`ve been cutting and glueing some of the contents of my Start Collecting Ironjawz box and added the fist symbol and another plate on the upper leg of the shiels wielder (not visible from this angle). The idea is to make the shieldboyz look like walking tanks, even more heavily plated than the other Ardboyz, to give make their armour saves extra lucky ;)

But now I`m split...I really enjoyed painting up the old twohandweapon orruk, that I`m tempted to do that again. I gave the old mini one of the newer heads again, to make him fit in better with the newer scale...aaand...somehow I think this superold mini finally deserves to be painted. But the other orruk is tempting as well....

I know myself, two minis at once will ****** it up, with my lack of concentration. Now which one next? Left or right?

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20673_zpsv74w7koe.j

Right it is! I started with the skin on the weekend and had quite a good evening finishing it. The method was quite easy:

- Sick Green Vallejo Gamecolor as a base (two thin layers)

- More depth by painting thinned down Dark Green VGC directly into the recesses

- first highlight with a 60/40 mix of Dark Green and Goblin Green (Army Painter)

- followed by pure Goblin Green

- final highlights by simply continously adding a bit of White into Goblin Green

Voila, another Ardboy in the making

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20674_zpszgske7q2.j

I went on to paint the pants and leatherstraps yesterday. The basecolor for the pants is Oak Brown from Vallejo, shaded by mixing it with Nuln Oil and painting it into the recesses. The highlights were added by mixing Bone into the basecolor.

The leatherstraps are shaded and highlighted with the same method, but the basecolor was Beastial Brown, or whatever that is called in other companies namings. It`s also from Vallejo, that I remember.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20675_zpsd0sldda4.j

Now I`ll go on with red. @Redmanphill you`ll see the recipe here pretty much step by step. I applied the first thin layer of Mephiston red for starters and if I have time tonight, I`ll apply the second one and tidy up all the edges. After that a layer of Mephiston Red will follow. I usually go wo two thin ones here too, as only one tends to look rather dull with Mephiston Red shining through.

Tutorial for red armour

As usual, this tutorial mainly serves one purpose: to remind myself how I`ve painted the armour ;)

The paintjob starts with two thin layers of Mechrite Red. This is a "carrying color" for the actual basecolor "Mephiston Red", which is also applied with two thin layers, as it tends to be a bit transparent.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20675_zpsd0sldda4.j

After that the armour is shaded with Devlan Mud towards the darkest spots and into the recesses. Don`t wash the whole plate, only the parts of which you think are not turned towards the light. This will make it look a bit more natural, thou we`ll keep a certain comicbook look here.

That step is followed by the first highlight, a 50/50 mix of Wild Rider Red and Mephiston Red. All the edges are highlighted like this, thou you don`t have to be superfine with the lines, as it is only the first step, but then again, don`t make the lines to thick either.

DSCF4841_zpsyrlsopuy.jpg

DSCF4842_zps3gbdky02.jpg

We repeat this step with pure Wild Rider Red. Leave a bit of the previous line visible and and draw the line more towards the "top" of it`s spot.

DSCF4843_zpsc1djnyxy.jpg

DSCF4845_zps0iwbjsaq.jpg

DSCF4844_zpszshg1qxj.jpg

The same procedure is repeated a few more times, but we add a different color: the next highlight is a mix of 50/50 Wild Rider Red and Bronzed Flesh (there is one from Vallejo). The final highlights are applied by adding tiny amounts of white into that mix. The corner of the edges get a pointy exreme highlight in white or almost white.

I`ll add more pictures as soon as I paint more Ardboys, so the steps are easier to understand.

Rumpla thought his shield looked worderfully tough, with that fiery red and nasty black. The Redfists' shieldbreakers understood their craft and Rumpla was always in the middle. They were constantly pushing themselves into the ranks of the adversaries, pushing everything up or down. When they drove deep enough into the fray, they suddenly raised the shields and released the way for the next boyz. The Redfists called this tactic "Da Wedge", but no matter what they called it, it worked magnificently ...

The second Ardboy for the gang is ready and I like the shield so much, that I seriously consider painting a few more of that kind. I still have the plastic prototype here, to which I have attached more plates and minishields, to make it look like a small walking wall. But a brute would still be on the list too. Well, we'll see, maybe I`ll paint something completely different, but the overall view of the two finished guys is already attracting more energy here.

Rumpla knows how to use a shield

DSCF4846_zpsfvqfvfys.jpg

DSCF4847_zpstmsnddjk.jpg

DSCF4848_zpsykdirsld.jpg

DSCF4849_zpspcgpgtod.jpg

DSCF4850_zpsftvxcgf2.jpg

What I also like, is the look of the flames. I`m starting to get practice. It looks particularily good, when it`s highlighted towards the tip of the flame with an extreme highlight one side of the edges of the flame. Furthermore it`s a nice detail, that can be seen from every angle.

DSCF4851_zpsulilk3fz.jpg

DSCF4852_zpsopfq2ogo.jpg

This is what I`m about to paint for my skirmish warband, thou I`m not a hundered percent on this. I`ve bought a box of brutes, but I`m having so much fun with the Ardboys at the moment, that I`ll probably go for a pure warband of those. It`s eight of them and the Warchanter, when you want to play 50 renown. On the other hand, it`s a model less, when I will this band up with the remaining two Ardboys. If I do that, I`ll have to construct a nice Redfists banner and choose an appropriate model for Boz da Boss.

The guy in the middle looks like the Great Humongous from Mad Max...

DSCF4853_zpsxkgf5itz.jpg

In case if someone wonders why I`m posting three posts in a row, these are actualy copied from a german speaking forum, but as the forum here seemingly has immense issues I wasn`t able to simply copy the posts as soon as they were ready. so I wasn`t in the mood to translate everything straight away.

Ps- do you mind if I ask what lighting set up you use?

Not at all, but I`m afraid it`s a lot less magical, than one might think. This is my desk. The lamp to the left is a Tao Tronics that I bought on Amazon for 40 Euros. It has different light modes, which comes in quite handy for painting. All my paintingstuff is inside the lower drawer on the right.

I`m kind of addicted to Blood Bowl, so there`s always some stuff of it running on the PC

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20689_zpsirbujc5j.j

On the other side is the Realm of Chaos....err....I mean....my wifes desk. I usually squeeze in between it and the wall and take the pictures of the minis there while standing, trying not to shake to much. I usually take a couple of pictures and just take the one that is least fuzzy. Of course, the light is swithed on for that.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20690_zpsllw6kvwz.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20691_zpsiucwrbak.j

When we`ve built our house I`ll have a real room for my hobby, so a small spot for pictures will be added to my household.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived