Ahomtep the Dauntless (A Tomb Kings plog) Now with Sepulchral Stalkers!

TristanGray

My name's Tristan and after many years away from the hobby I've picked table top wargaming back up in a big way. My local scene is small and new. Our local gaming store dropped GW about a decade ago and only in the past 5 months started stocking and a dedicated group started building up the community again.

After getting back into 40k, some of my newfound pals talked me into giving Sigmar a try. Billing it as a quick game to get into, I gave it a shot and was hooked.

Realizing that I could finally play with the Tomb Kings that I've always wanted was a big draw too.

Then the other shoe dropped.

"Oh they cancelled the entire line"

"...****** it, who needs a savings account anyway?"

I'm going to use this space as a way to document my progress, make some fun backstory in the Endless Deserts for Tomb King Ahomtep and his city, and hopefully have some fun back and forth with y'all about it.

------

The Spear of Kahtep

The Necropolis of King Ahomtep is one of wonder and no fixed point. Placed upon the floating desert spire known and the Spear Kahtep, its largess and glimmering towers are known to slacken the jaw of even the most hardened Duardin. It's Pyramids, obelisks and streets woven into the great rock's surface, busy with activity.

It is known to mostly drift between the edges of the Sour Sea and the Carrion Isles, but it has been spotted near the bastion of Bétone. The great spire blotting out the sun as it passes. Only the liche priests of The Spear truly understand how it traverses the deserts wind.

When the unyielding suns of the Endless Deserts are darkened by the shadow of The Spear, all know it is their demise made shade. 

Edited by TristanGray
Add tags
  • Like 3

On 4/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, TristanGray said:

Got my first ten skeletons almost complete!

1351459a03971ea2c6ce01ad5d94e814.jpg
A few simple conversions thrown in there, mostly bit box diving. Still thinking about using the blue corral. I'll have to do a tester up.

Oh and started work on a few big boys
a9caeea728ed67cf7cc9da0a7b12f147.jpg

Not 100% sure what I'll do with the stone skin, but we'll see!

Thanks for the great response guys. It's been pretty wild on twitter. In related news, I'm worried I won't be getting it all done in time. My lady and I decided to go on a short trip this weekend and I don't know if I'll be getting any meaningful painting done before the 23rd. Might have to shift my goals.

We shall see.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 11:16 PM, TristanGray said:

Decided to give the jade a try

4a1f1d30584b29b5f45bbebad126cd3b.jpg

Not positive that it's a keeper, but worth a shot at least. Might try a variety of different stone types to see what I like best.

Slapped down some base coats and a little bit of washing. Need to pick out a better colour for the cloth strips and decide if I'm going to pick out all the triangles or not.

After I took the photo I washed the gold with some Reikland fleshshade gloss, & oh man, that stuff is pure magic.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:42 PM, TristanGray said:

Worked on the ushabti a bit more. 74c1a3a7e42c9725e9838a241ac3e5ff.jpg
Digging how it's turning out, I wasn't sure about how the green would play with the two cooler colours I have, but using a warmer shade of green for the extreme highlights tied it in well.

Kind of cartoony, but I think that goes well with my "Rad Surfer" vibe that comes off the rest of the pallet.

Needs clean up, and the other two in the unit. Hoping I can get them finished for the 23rd!

• Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 10:55 PM, TristanGray said:

214c465d4655ecfb0693c284f806bcda.jpg

Finished up my guys!

Here's some background I wrote on Ahomtep's Necropolis!

The Necropolis of King Ahomtep is one of wonder and no fixed point. Placed upon the floating desert spire known and the Spear Kahtep, its largess and glimmering towers are known to slacken the jaw of even the most hardened Duardin. It's Pyramids, obelisks and streets woven into the great rock's surface, busy with activity.

It is known to mostly drift between the edges of the Sour Sea and the Carrion Isles, but it has been spotted near the bastion of Bétone. The great spire blotting out the sun as it passes. Only the liche priests of The Spear truly understand how it traverses the deserts wind.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2017 at 0:24 PM, Ademo said:

Looks great - the blues you've used across the mini tie it all together nicely and your gold is nice and rich! The red spear is fairly 'old school gw' which tends to have a marmite effect but overall looking great! Any plans to add tufts to the bases at all?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

i think my bases are looking a bit bland and a tuft could be a great idea. any suggestions on what type to use? I love your basing and would love a good recommendation.

Looking good - basecoating is always my least favourite bit! The wash is where the magic happens [emoji41]. How are you finding them in game? What sort of list/points you playing?

Looking good - basecoating is always my least favourite bit! The wash is where the magic happens [emoji41]. How are you finding them in game? What sort of list/points you playing?

I'm really enjoying them. Using them in a big 40 skelli brick. Been great for tarpitting and for out right deleting things. I find them super useful for distracting my opponents while my other units either go score, or get in position for strikes.
  • Like 1

Oh ps. I usually end up playing 2000 pts, with the endless desert battletome with a list kind of like this:
TK on foot
Liche priest x 1(one a hierophant)
Necrotect
Necro knights
Necrosphinx
Big brick of warriors
Skeleton horsemen x 2

And other things depending on my mood.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...