Killax' Wrathforged Warriors

Killax

"A monsterous champion from former worlds, Killax has seen the destruction of a war-torn world, what angered him more than being removed from the battles was that upon it's destruction not even the so called God Warrior Sigmar showed himself as a possible worthy warrior to Khorne. After the destruction Killax, a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster was bound to Khorne's domain, leading the thousands of forges. As the battles could not even come close to that of The End Times his anger blazed the Wrathforged furnaces..."

Hi guys, with this small lore bit I decided to create a Khorne army to be used exclusively for Age of Sigmar. As I really like the Blades of Khorne book and Khorne army I can only say that the latest book release has truely sped up my creative process.

Here is the first model I've done for Age of Sigmar, as you can see it's still WIP. As soon as I find some time again I'll also continue to update this topic :) Hopefully with some finished results and eventually better pictures! (My current good camera is broken)

Skintone (mediocre picture but one of the few that comes remotely close to the actual result)
18191036_1375306845909886_2120931569_n.j 

Wrathforged Armour
18191078_1375306595909911_1272422754_n.j 
18191229_1375306679243236_766486873_n.jp 

Current status:
18197286_1375306522576585_386253343_n.jp 

As the holes in the back might reveal, I've done a little bit of a conversion on these models. I really like what Wrathmongers do on the battlefield and hope I can expand my army with at least 2 choices of these units. Though I must say I also like the Skullreapers, Bloodletters and Skullcrushers a lot aswell.

My Skullcrushers are going to be converted out of spare bodies from the Skullreapers/Wrathmongers and I think this will allow me to blend them in better with the current 'Bloodbound' model range. 
WIP_sk2.jpg 

Hope you guys like it! If you have any question on the colours used, steps taken or other random stuff, feel free to leave a comment.

Cheers,

9 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Really awesome stuff. Skin looks really smooth and matte compared to the armour, nice shiny red!

Thanks! Yeah the play on mediums really makes it stand out for me aswell, always wanted to do this, never found the right excuse.
I do think that the gloss armour can be overwhelming when it's completely armoured, which is why I'll try to blend in skintones aswell to offset the otherwise 'shine fest'. :) 

Some stuff that won't make this project but was really cool to experiment with! 

18142778_1371526696287901_1110660105_n.j
Some quick freehand work that will not be used but was a nice test to see how glazes and freehands really allow you to sketch and blend. Very fun to do, very quick also! I can't wait to spend some more time into a future banner like this.

18191462_1375447589229145_1835678613_n.j
Spend a lot of time on this lava base but will not be using it. Again a very fun project so if someone wants to know how to go for something like it feel free to leave a comment.

Next time I hope to update with some relevant stuff :P 

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6-6-2017 at 2:17 PM, Vaux said:

The base looks awesome to be honest, a shame you wont use it.

Thanks for the reply. No worries though, I think the base might be used somewhere but for now I've got a more fantasy world plan in the making which I happen to like more in terms of look and execution.

The one thing that bothers me personally for lava bases is that I feel they detract too much from the model unless the model itself is also a fiery flame. What I want to archieve with this project is to have the focus on the models, their armour and my thake on some approaches that FW used for their pre heresy Thousand Sons line and Brass Scorpion.

On 1-7-2017 at 4:58 AM, phizzco said:

how did you do the banner? what colors etc?

I'm too scared to try to freehand :(

As always give it a try! I think that learning new stuff should never be done with fear. Worst comes worst you lose a banner piece, which in the grand scheme of things hardly matters because you'll usually have 1 spair anyway due to how units dont work all to well in blocks of 10 or 'straight out of the box'.

For the banner I used a mix of reds and oranges. The base was Khorne Red with a touch of black, followed by Khorne Red where I wanted the skulls. Then suprisingly I used Squigh Orange to paint the outline of the skull and used Khorne Red with some black again to add in the eye sockets, nose, mouth etc. When this was all dried and done I used a Memphiston Red glaze to blend the red and orange together. Giving it some good time to dry is key. I eventually glazed it 3 times.

If you wanted to add more depth then adding white to the Squigh Orange is really all it would have required. Essentially highlighting 2d skulls like you would with a 3d skull before adding the final glazes. For the glaze I use nothing but water and Memphiston Red. 

On 2-7-2017 at 0:41 AM, Korpur said:

That's a lovely looking lava base. Just a perfect amount of texture. Nice banner too, looking forward to your next freehands. :) 

Thanks! I hope to do some next week and add some models aswell. 

Cheers,

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MyGeekyPersona said:

This is amazing. Great modelling/converting and painting too. 

I've been considering metallic red armour for my own chaos army. Could you explain the process and the paints that you used please? I'd also be really interested to read how long the process takes. 

Thanks,

MGP

No worries, sure!

It's a really easy mix of 1:1 Vallejo Black and Vallejo Natural Steel, you can easily use GW black and GW boltgun metal aswell (or how that's called now). This is the base armor and basically step 1. After that I highlight in broad strokes with the Vallejo Natural Steel. This gives a cool plate armour effect. The apply multiple thin layers of Tamiya Clear Red. Its essential you dont want to rush this but the process is easy. It's like washing with thick but very translusent wash (which doesn't pool).

The cool thing about Tamiya is that they have many clear colours. So it's great for other armies aswell. The result to me gives the best coloured metal. Better as pre-mixes of coloured metal paints. As this clear coat is really just a clear coat on metal.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

So finally will update this topic xD 

Priority project:

20171115_201934.jpg.61a7c7fd2675fa3ac63d

As the skull sets are finally back in stock again I can proudly say this will be the basing for the rest of my army well. 

Rocks, skulls and bones, as Khorne wanted it.

Plans for 2018:

(1 out of 3 Khorgoraths)
3e5582fbbb8500ad223f4c8730cff6d2.jpg

(1 out of 3 Slaughterpriests)

adef3c4fe0b26ece155401d73b2a2187.jpg

Cheers!

Archived