[Help] Highborn etc 2000 point tournament list?

PointyEarAlliance

Hello community!

I am invited to join my very first tournament next Saturday. I need 2000 points of miniature madness. 
At this moment I have chosen for the following army list:

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix
Archmage
Archmage

Units
10 Swordmasters
10 Swordmasters
10 Phoenix Guard
20 Reavers
20 Reavers

War Machines
2 Repeater Bolt Thrower

I picked these units because it seems ok (???) and it's exactly 2000 points. For the rest, I have no idea if it will bring me victory ;-)
For your information, I have these units as well:
10 Archers
10 White Lions
1 White Lions Chariot
2 Prince on Griffon

I'd like to know if I should change the composition of my list. 
Any tips regarding this would be so much appreciated!!!

Regards, David

Hi PointyEarAlliance,

You will need to split some of those reavers up into smaller groups, because you need 3 battleline units for 2000 points. Since you are playing a mixed Order list, you do not get the benefits for a single allegiance special battleline units (But Reavers are battleline all the time).

I don't know if Reavers do best in larger or smaller units anyway (Never really seen people taking 20 cavalry models in units). They may be better off in 4 units of 10 anyway, or perhaps even smaller. Something you'll need to fiddle with and see what works out best for you.

Your list otherwise looks pretty solid, with a nice amount of movement, magic , shooting and combat prowess. Give the list a whirl and see how you do.

As Aezeal said (not in the most constructive way ;) but his point is very valid) - It's much more useful to split up the reavers into a bunch of smaller units, as long as you don't have any specific tactics that requires keeping them in a bigger one, or want to rush them into melee. Splitting them should give you more map control, and prevent your opponent from locking you down. 

If you are unsure, at least split -one- of them up. That should quickly show you which of the two approaches work best :)

You need 3 battleline units for games above 1000 points, so I recommend you split the Reavers into 4 units as 2 20 man units are unwieldy, and you get more champion bonuses. In my opinion, Reavers work best in smaller units so you can best utilise their mobility and range. I'd also recommend joining the two units of Swordmasters together, to get the advantage of numbers.

On 2017-4-28 at 11:09 AM, Mayple said:

As Aezeal said (not in the most constructive way ;) but his point is very valid) - It's much more useful to split up the reavers into a bunch of smaller units, as long as you don't have any specific tactics that requires keeping them in a bigger one, or want to rush them into melee. Splitting them should give you more map control, and prevent your opponent from locking you down. 

If you are unsure, at least split -one- of them up. That should quickly show you which of the two approaches work best :)

I was asking for his reason for the big units.. it might be he has a reason (I can't see it personally but I'm interested in his motives).

Personally I'd play them in small units of 5 unless there are reasons for a larger unit (something with resurrection, buffs etc).

1 hour ago, Atreides said:

I'd also recommend joining the two units of Swordmasters together, to get the advantage of numbers.

Why would you prefer that? 

Pro: 1 activation (pretty huge I'll admit), less drops.

Con: less flexible, less champions, less chance of battleshock problems, more chance of people overkilling on a unit.

For me the MSU thing wins out here.

Archived