Disciples of Tzeentch with Compendium Archaon - 2k pts

themortalgod

So had inspiration for a slightly different DoT list that is much more close combat oriented and wanted everyone's thoughts on it. :)

Archaon - 320pts - Infusion Arcanum

Lord of Change - 300pts - Rod of Sorcery, Pyrofire Stave, Bolt of Tzeentch, General, Incorporeal Form

Gaunt Summoner - 100pts - Glimpse the Future

Ogroid Thaumaturge - 160pts - Arcane Transformation, Wicked Shard

3 Skyfires - 160pts

3 Skyfires - 160pts

10 Marauders - 60pts

30 Warriors - 540pts

10 Marauders - 60pts

20 Blue Horrors - 100pts

10 Brimstone Horrors - 40pts

Total: 2,000pts

The idea I'm thinking of is since the smaller Archaon from the compendium is so much cheaper he is much less of an "all eggs in one basket" sort of play but he still comes with the potential to really enjoy some perks from DoT. (Plus I still adore that model and wanna play with it! ;)). The idea is to have the Ogroid transform Archaon early in the game to pump Archaon to +1 attack with the Slayer of Kings, then once Archaon hits combat he can dump Infusion Arcanum on himself so that he is getting +1 to hit and wound making his Slayer of Kings attacks pretty terrifying, especially considering that Destiny Dice can be used to guarantee insta death against the scariest stuff. 

Meanwhile the LoC and Summoner would be tasked with harassing with Shooting, MW spells and ensuring the destiny dice pool is pretty healthy.

The Warriors are meant to be a central anvil that can hold an objective near forever. With Mystic shield giving them a 3+ save re-rolling 1s and the 5+ save against MW they should be pretty implacable. Meanwhile the horrors and marauders will play the zoning game and help control space on the board, and finally the skyfires will be tasked with sniping out certain annoying heros that may ****** with my plans. ;) 

The LoC is the general to get him access to incorporeal form in case he gets charged and also for the +1 to cast command ability to ensure all the buffs have a better chance of casting.

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Hmm, ya I hummed and hawed about the Shaman, I had him in the first draft of the list but was worried I was starting to spend too much on Heroes. So swapped him out for all the horrors to give me more zone control and a lot more wounds worth of models. I wish the warriors re-rolling 1s didn't require 20 models or I probably wouldn't go for a block that is 30 strong, that unit does eat up a lot of pts but at only 20 models a big chunk of my resilience goes away if a single model goes down. 

Do you think that is worth sacrificing to bring in a shaman?

Thats an interesting notion. Perhaps a DP or Some Knights? I haven't run Knights yet, on paper they seem a bit overpriced though? Any experience out there? I wish I could run Chaos hounds, I have a ton of them and they are great, cheap, fast chafe but no mark option means no in DoT :( 

• 2 months later...

May I interrupt? :) If topic is still "alive"....
I would say that 1 unit of skyfires HAVE TO have at least 6 models in it. Because then u can summon them when they die.
Its easy to kill 3 skyfires.

Im Stormcast player, also interested in Tzeentch army. I love Archaon The Everchosen model and I want to build some competetive list around him(2k pts). He is a bit pricey, but on the other hand...Stardrake costs 600, Alarielle cost 640.. Comparing to them, he's not that pricey. But when we look at Skyfires...well, we can take 4 more units that has 16" MWs range, definitely more wounds. Possibility to "regrowth" them again. Question is - what GH2017 will bring to the table? Cause Skyfires gonna cost more, for sure.

I think the point with Archaon is, that kill can singleblow every Hero or Monster with many Wounds because he can deside to use two destiny dice to get the to wound-rolls of 6 for slayer of kings.

5 hours ago, Battlemania said:

I would say that 1 unit of skyfires HAVE TO have at least 6 models in it. Because then u can summon them when they die.
Its easy to kill 3 skyfires.

Please a little more information. What do you mean.

Sorry if I wasn't precise. Thing is, that when u have i.e. 6-9 models in 1 unit its better than only 3. That's because even if u loose 6 models from 9 model unit, you can use spell (Lore of change> Fold Reality) that brings D6 models back.

PS. About that Slayer of Kings, that's very high price even for that weapon ability imo. :/

Archived