New 40k Side discussion. What similarities will there be to AOS?

KHHaunts

10 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

Weapon Profiles:

New40kWeaponProfiles.jpg

They specifically mentioned a Lascannon would be useless against guardsmen which makes me think that that damage allocation will be different to AoS, as it seems wounds will not overflow.

They actually say "Against something like Guardsmen or Orks though, this formidable damage output will be wasted." which to me is saying if you roll highly for damage, it's been wasted as you could have used it against a bigger target like a tank or big creature ;) 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

They actually say "Against something like Guardsmen or Orks though, this formidable damage output will be wasted." which to me is saying if you roll highly for damage, it's been wasted as you could have used it against a bigger target like a tank or big creature ;) 

yeah but in that same line they talk about D6 hit from the flamer (math wise is the same just a matter of order in the bigger picture). So i feel it's pretty safe to assume damage doesn't roll over??/ Very similar to the cult mechanics kataphron breacher torsion cannons or a D weapon attack in the current game. 

Also note thier weapons still ahve assault/heavy/rapid fire So these will be part of the core rules??? If not army specific weapon rules. 

Just now, mmimzie said:

yeah but in that same line they talk about D6 hit from the flamer (math wise is the same just a matter of order in the bigger picture). So i feel it's pretty safe to assume damage doesn't roll over??/ Very similar to the cult mechanics kataphron breacher torsion cannons or a D weapon attack in the current game. 

Also note thier weapons still ahve assault/heavy/rapid fire So these will be part of the core rules??? If not army specific weapon rules. 

I think you are confusing hit's with damage. The flamer doesn't roll to hit, so will always hit. The D6 roll is to see the number of hits which cause 1 damage. The Lascannon has 1 shot (Heavy1) which will cause D6 damage if it hits, wounds and isn't saved. ;) 

Also I think weapon types will still stay roughly the same, so I imagine a Heavy weapon will only work best if not moving and will otherwise be snapshotting

nah i'm not confusing them i equate them, because after math it's kind of the same thing all else being equal, and taken over the course of a game etc. 

For instance a cannon that shoots D6 shots that do one damage will average out the same damage as a cannon that shoots once and does d6 damage. Just one is more spikey than the other. 

4 hours ago, DGH875 said:

Does anyone else think that this will be released a lot sooner then GW are letting on?

Yes, I think within a month, they can't sell anymore 40k books until it is released (I think an interesting business decision, as I think they are hoping the sales of new rules will offset any loses they take now, I will probably have to buy 3 books) and I bet sales of models will slow down as people wait to see the new edition. Also ramping up the hype everyday and then make us wait until the end of the year would be a strange move. 

As for similarities, I think summoning will work the same with the points put aside at the start, I suspect some sort of rule of 1 for psychic powers, I wonder if the warlord traits and psychic powers will be able to be chosen rather than rolled, but I think they might have a points value for matched play if you can choose. I also think codexes will have a Path to Glory section too.   

It's all very exciting.  

There is a video from the Frontline Gaming guys and they talk about months worth of play-testing (October-ish?) and several 8-10 hour conference calls to go over all the information gathered with GW.  Two other groups were involved as well.

There is little chance that GW won't take these lessons and apply some of them to AoS.

5 hours ago, Rodiger said:

Yes, I think within a month, they can't sell anymore 40k books until it is released (I think an interesting business decision, as I think they are hoping the sales of new rules will offset any loses they take now, I will probably have to buy 3 books) and I bet sales of models will slow down as people wait to see the new edition. Also ramping up the hype everyday and then make us wait until the end of the year would be a strange move. 

As for similarities, I think summoning will work the same with the points put aside at the start, I suspect some sort of rule of 1 for psychic powers, I wonder if the warlord traits and psychic powers will be able to be chosen rather than rolled, but I think they might have a points value for matched play if you can choose. I also think codexes will have a Path to Glory section too.   

Also they have teased the new death guard and not so much other future products, besides shadowspire, which would indicate they could be next in line after Kharadon Overlords and I don't see point releasing them before the new edition hits.

10 hours ago, DGH875 said:

Does anyone else think that this will be released a lot sooner then GW are letting on?

My prediction - Warhammer Fest.  Would make sense on a lot of levels, pick up the new rules at the event a week earlier than anyone else if you attend and lots of positive hype.

Sure I saw a leaked picture with Ultramarines and Deathguard in a starter box...

One similarity I'm thinking is that moral checks will follow the same method of AoS battleshock and there will be the equivalent of a battleshock phase each turn.

18 hours ago, mmimzie said:

nah i'm not confusing them i equate them, because after math it's kind of the same thing all else being equal, and taken over the course of a game etc. 

For instance a cannon that shoots D6 shots that do one damage will average out the same damage as a cannon that shoots once and does d6 damage. Just one is more spikey than the other. 

Yes but I think it's all down to how the game works with allocating hits or wounds and I think this is where it can get different. Just need to see how that is going to work out ;) 

13 hours ago, DGH875 said:

I'm expecting July. Warhammer World is running an event over the weekend of 18th/19th June, so I think it's safe to assume this is the last 7th edition 40K event there.

6 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

It's all very exciting.  

There is a video from the Frontline Gaming guys and they talk about months worth of play-testing (October-ish?) and several 8-10 hour conference calls to go over all the information gathered with GW.  Two other groups were involved as well.

There is little chance that GW won't take these lessons and apply some of them to AoS.

I think these lessons have been learnt from AOS ;) 

I suspect that when they released AOS, they did little communication with the community but since then it has come along in leaps and bounds with input from some members of the community. The new edition from 40K seems to have taken a lot of strong ques from Age of Sigmar which I think is great

I think these lessons have been learnt from AOS [emoji6] 
I suspect that when they released AOS, they did little communication with the community but since then it has come along in leaps and bounds with input from some members of the community. The new edition from 40K seems to have taken a lot of strong ques from Age of Sigmar which I think is great

I still think soon, they can't post updates every day until July! There will be a big reduction in 40k mini sales until people know what their exsisting/new army will be like?
They must of learnt a lot from WH to AOS and want to get this right. It's all good news for any GW fan.

15 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Yep - I can easily see these systems merging with some tweaks to AoS (not the games themselves though).

I hope not. I'm not a fan of having systems for two different IPs being a cross over. Never seen the point personally

Just now, Gaz Taylor said:

I hope not. I'm not a fan of having systems for two different IPs being a cross over. Never seen the point personally

Sorry - to be more clear -  I don't see us playing with AoS models against 40k models, but rather the rulesets will be super similar.  

3 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Sorry - to be more clear -  I don't see us playing with AoS models against 40k models, but rather the rulesets will be super similar.  

Ah now I get you! ;) 

Yes I think both systems will borrow concepts from each other 

I genuinely can't wait for this. I'm working on a Blade of Khorne army at the moment so a few Chaos Space Marines will fit right in - in 7th Edition that'd be an army and an ally, in 8th it sounds like it'll just be chaos...

Space wolves and ultramarines side by side? Pick and choose your chaos? No need to buy £35 books to use a single unit - It's going to be great!

Archived