Slaves to Darkness lore

That book is what got me into khorne and chaos dwarfs in a big way - and the side stories are superb.  If you can find a copy online the Tome of Corruption is a wealth of information as is the Liber Chaotica.  Harder to get hold of in the flesh is Slaves To Darkness; Lost and the Damned, mainly revolving around Tzeentch and Nurgle but also has a lot on the beastmen.

Unrelated but also cool: later on in the book they encourage players to come up with their own Chaos gods.

indeed, back then we were encouraged to use our imaginations and come up with cool themes and fluff, we were given guidelines to work to rather than spoon fed or expected "this is how it's supposed to be" stuff.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stillness said:

Humans are inherently drawn to Chaos because they wouldn't exist without Chaos:

Thanks for the sharing, I had no idea! :)

Rhetorical question: How much would Black Library make if they started to print those cult (as in culture, not cultist) books again?

Yeah, but that bit of lore is outdated and retconed! The humans where a creation of the Old Ones, just like Greenskins, Lizardmen, Ogres, Dwarfs and Elves.

But we can discuss that actually, all of the Old World lore is now outdated... so just use what you prefer! :D 

Much has changed since those times, and if GW won't find a way to make current StD less generic... well, they could still remain but not that much updated - after all, such warriors and barbarians are made by different companies. They have to become more original.

Wow this thread has gotten pretty interesting, Chaos has never really appealed to me because it just never made sense how they are a faction when they were always portrayed as complete lunatics who can't have a Civlization if they stole it!(  40k espesially but to an extent WFB and AoS) I didn't know WFB had a more pagan style of Chaos... I really like that as it feels a lot more 3 dimensional with that in place (makes chaos a lot more sympathetic which I wish they pushed more)

Anyway thanks for sharing these lore pieces and actually getting me interested in Chaos xD 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

if you want a good feel for the marauder vibe the new Norsca Total war trailer is brilliant.

Wulfric the wanderer and an army of mammoths behind him, what's not to like!

:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrbDa9EBR0

Oh, that looks amazing! 

You know... that new Beastclaw raiders start collecting box. I bet a mammoth would be happy to carry a warshrine instead of an ogor/ogre on its back, right?

Love this thread! My brother actually bought both of the original realms of chaos books a decade ago (slaves to darkness and lost and the damned), they are really fascinating and filled with lore. Also so many random generation tables :P
Now that I'm back into the hobby, the first project I'm working on is a warband of followers for a minor chaos god I created using their random chaos god generator. You can generate the description and attributes of your god, his daemonic pantheon (greater demon, lesser demon and beast), the kind of gifts he bestows upon his worshippers...

If anyone is interested I'll post up the description and basic fluff that I got from these tables :)

4 hours ago, Moldek said:

Love this thread! My brother actually bought both of the original realms of chaos books a decade ago (slaves to darkness and lost and the damned), they are really fascinating and filled with lore. Also so many random generation tables :P
Now that I'm back into the hobby, the first project I'm working on is a warband of followers for a minor chaos god I created using their random chaos god generator. You can generate the description and attributes of your god, his daemonic pantheon (greater demon, lesser demon and beast), the kind of gifts he bestows upon his worshippers...

If anyone is interested I'll post up the description and basic fluff that I got from these tables :)

Please do!

One of my favorite bits of fluff from years ago, that seems to have largely been forgotten in all facets of WH lore, is that the Chaos gods actually have good sides to them, and there are worshipers of chaos that exonerate those parts of the Chaos gods.

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

Please do!

Ok then!

Here is the story of the birth of Moldek...

First I rolled some d100 and d1000(!) to get a description of the dude :

starting body, already we're in pretty creepy territory :
giant leech + dog (front legs)

then you roll a number of times on the huge Chaos Attributes table
(keep in mind that some attributes can take the form of d3 more rolls on this or another table) :

bestial face - dog / well he does already have dog legs
spits acid / always useful right?
beaked / Beaked leech-dog, sure
manic fighter / Probably pissed off about only having front legs
cloud of flies / A classic mood setter for your DIY chaos deity
crossbreed snail (snail shell) / Snail leech doggy!
vampire / makes sense, he is a quarter leech after all
tail / at this point why not?

I think this part is from a different, demonic attributes table,
probably Chaos Rewards :

mouth captive / just some dude trapped in its mouth
vents (holes blowing steam) / more dramatic!
reborn / he keeps dying and being reborn, like the most fucked-up phoenix you've ever seen
familiars - snails & leeches / Probably chose that one myself to go with the theme

weapons : knives, length of chain, wooden club / nooot a lot of hands to use them with but what do I know? I'm not a Chaos God

So my god, Moldek, can be described as a huge leech whose body extends into a serpentine tail, dragging himself around with a mangy's dog front legs. His head also looks like a dog's but curves into a rapacious beak, dripping with acid. One can sometimes hear a muffled scream or catch a glimpse of creatures trapped inside the beak, slowly drained of their blood, at least until he swallows... On his back is a huge,  ancient, worn out snail shell, with creeks and holes that cloud him in a foul fog, where carrion insects buzz endlessly. Small leech-snails crawl over and around him, feeding off any blood they can find, including their master's. His skin is slowly shrivelling up, hair falling and limbs getting shaky. As he seems to reach his dying point, unable to carry his own shell, he drags his dried-out husk inside the shell with a raspy sigh. After a short while, a slightly different, but still oddly similar creature emerges, fresh skin and sharp claws, and starts crawling...

I tried to imagine what kind of worshippers he would attract, what human emotion he could feed off, and came up with this :

Moldek is the god of preys and parasites, cowards and runaways, pariahs and scavengers.
He is the one people turn to when they are lost and running for their lives, when
their mind is urging them to find a dark hole and crawl into it.
A minor chaos deity, Moldek draws his power from weakness and vulnerability. He does not
aim to submit great warriors or mighty wizards. His worshippers are the gangly thief scheduled
for hanging, feverishly trying to dislodge a stone from his damp cell's wall, or the terrified
farm girl, trembling inside a dead tree after abandonning her baby to the wolves.

I also generated his various demons and his table of rewards to his followers and wrote some more fluff, I'll post it if anyone is interested, but right now I need a break from writing...

Archived