The General Terrain Thread

As I've played more games I've come to the conclusion that scenery can vastly improve a game.  To a certain extent, the bigger and denser the better.  I've got the old GW Fortress which if you use selectively helps to break the board up - use too much of it and it'll dominate the game.

Placing and if I use the rules is pretty much down to the mood of the game.  I actually like something that looks plausible on the table - ruins are fine if you've not got a random posh building amongst them :)  I tend to not bother with the rules if I'm wanting a quick game or me or my opponent are experimenting with a new list or unit.  They do add a new tactical dimension - it can also be interesting to only apply the rules to "no-mans land" and roll the first time somebody gets within 3"...

What I think we're missing from the GW range, is buildings.  We've got ruins and magical portals, but there's nothing to really replace things like the old Skullvane Manse, Fortified Manor or Temple of Skulls which had a fairly big footprint and blocked line of sight a bit.

On 26-4-2017 at 2:29 PM, wayniac said:

Really though, I like the GW aesthetic for terrain (just hate how limited it is).  I see too many AOS battlefields that look like they belong in a historical game, which makes sense because old world and all that, but IMHO don't really fit the new aesthetic.  And the GW terrain doesn't have a lot of LOS blocking pieces (at least not where you can't figure out a way to draw a line to some part of it) so it is also IMHO (very much IMHO) that saying terrain is the answer to shooting heavy lists is not a valid suggestion because GW's terrain is meant to be the baseline/default and doesn't really do anything to prevent that (see my prior examples of actual GW battle reports with terrain)

Interesting point. Imho the terrain Gw offers is just a supplement. Fantastically detailed pieces that are out of the reach of most hobbyist. I always felt they didn't offer the basics because people would built them themselves. (Also probably not very cost effective ) So from that viewpoint, and this is also my own experience, by building basic terrain that does block line of sight improves the games, it's fun to make and makes it a more complete experience.  

Just now, Kramer said:

Interesting point. Imho the terrain Gw offers is just a supplement. Fantastically detailed pieces that are out of the reach of most hobbyist. I always felt they didn't offer the basics because people would built them themselves. (Also probably not very cost effective ) So from that viewpoint, and this is also my own experience, by building basic terrain that does block line of sight improves the games, it's fun to make and makes it a more complete experience.  

I think it's the other way around, especialy now.  GW seems to want you to only use their boards and their terrain, with no reason to build your own (in their mind of course).  So to me it seems like GW's terrain is expected to be the only ones you use, and it's building your own that is the outlier (as much as it didn't used to be).  Even GW's own terrain and dioramas and stuff use their own terrain as a basis.

2 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Funnily enough they mentioned yesterday in the wh tv feed, that the games should always have at least two solid blocks of los blocking terrain.

Did they define what "solid blocks of LOS blocking terrain" means?

On 4/25/2017 at 7:05 PM, rokapoke said:

"The Battlefield" precedes "Setup" in the rules, so terrain setup is not ignored for Matched Play. 

(pg108) The Battlefield: Pitched battle rules assume that the game will be fought on a (..6x4'..) with 1-2 terrain features per on each 2'x2' area.

It doesn't really outline terrain rules. I hope they make a more standard rule for this in GH2

Archived