SCGT what I learnt

Chris Thompson

Ok going into SCGT I had no competitive AoS experience and very soon realised I had a very sub standard list and knowledge of armies . I lost 5 games and tbh I don't feel there was anything I could of done in 3 of those which would changed the out come .

So what did I learn , stonehorns are great just not alone , and ogres on foot can't support a overly aggressive Stonehorn .

Thundertusk are for obvious reason a magic/shooting magnet , so again not great alone .

Ogres with ironfists are not as great in comps as I hoped , -1 rend deals with them easily .

So back to the drawing board cos I have the tournament bug in a big way , must say I did have 6 great games , and feel I learnt a lot . So I will be posting list ideas and questions here for my fellow destruction brothers and sisters .

Thanks for reading [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched the scgt on twitch think it's my years mission to 

a get a army painted

b learn to play age of sigmar well 

c go to the scgt next year as its only 30mins from where I live

glad you had a great time and have got the torney bug I love going to torneys 

2 hours ago, Chris Thompson said:

Ok going into SCGT I had no competitive AoS experience and very soon realised I had a very sub standard list and knowledge of armies . I lost 5 games and tbh I don't feel there was anything I could of done in 3 of those which would changed the out come .

So what did I learn , stonehorns are great just not alone , and ogres on foot can't support a overly aggressive Stonehorn .

Thundertusk are for obvious reason a magic/shooting magnet , so again not great alone .

Ogres with ironfists are not as great in comps as I hoped , -1 rend deals with them easily .

So back to the drawing board cos I have the tournament bug in a big way , must say I did have 6 great games , and feel I learnt a lot . So I will be posting list ideas and questions here for my fellow destruction brothers and sisters .

Thanks for reading emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was in your list? Sounds much like mine which is...

Two Frostlords on Stonehorns, a Huskard on Thundertusk, unit of 9 Ogors, unit of 6 Ogors, and unit of 3 Ogors (all with extra handweapons and tribal banners). It's not mega competitive but does ok.

1 hour ago, Oldmanlee said:

Watched the scgt on twitch think it's my years mission to 

a get a army painted

b learn to play age of sigmar well 

c go to the scgt next year as its only 30mins from where I live

glad you had a great time and have got the torney bug I love going to torneys 

Yes! Go it's a great event and I'm gutted I couldn't make last couple of years. I also think there is no excuse to have an army painted if @Ben Johnson can assemble and paint a lovely Khorne army in six days (even after changing mind about list half way through and rectifying a mistake on one of his Bloodthirsters!). Don't worry about point B as just go and have fun ;)  

I played ogres quite a lot last year (mixed with black orcs and giants) and found that two clubs is definitely better than 1! Simply because a 4+ rerolling 1s then 3+ rerolling 1s on the charge really makes the attacks hurt (and while no rend 2 damage each isn't too bad at all!) plus there is so much -1 about nowadays it's not often the Ironfists get to work anyway. 

While compendium is still allowed/exists (GHBv2 might change things) get a bruiser standard bearer in the army to sit behind the wall of ogres. 

54 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

I played ogres quite a lot last year (mixed with black orcs and giants) and found that two clubs is definitely better than 1! Simply because a 4+ rerolling 1s then 3+ rerolling 1s on the charge really makes the attacks hurt (and while no rend 2 damage each isn't too bad at all!) plus there is so much -1 about nowadays it's not often the Ironfists get to work anyway. 

While compendium is still allowed/exists (GHBv2 might change things) get a bruiser standard bearer in the army to sit behind the wall of ogres. 

100% agree with this. Gets even better if you have +1 to hit from Bellowing Tyrant ;) 

So this year like last year I had an amazing time played 6 total gents and unlike last year felt like I had the potential to compete in every game. The list I thought was strong and could have been really good if I had more experience with the army 64636a4eca597cf5ac1579a9d8c8a73e.jpg64636a4eca597cf5ac1579a9d8c8a73e.jpg overall I got 2 major wins 2 minor wins and 2 major losses, 1 of which could have easily... easily avoided and been a major win if I had simply deployed the kunnin rukk better and thought about target priority more (bloody mangler squig) also coming away from the event there are small changes I would make. The megaboss is awesome for his points however he never did anything for me other than use bellowing tyrant on the arrowboyz and with movement 4' he was really slow and I felt something like a orruk war boss on boar with a shield would have been more fun to use, also the wardokk is the only destruction wizard I have painted which is why he is in the list and if I play around with the points abit I might be able to squeeze in 2 thundertusks and 1 stone horn which would give the army some more mortal wound output which was a massive weakness of the army over the weekend #stardrake.

14 hours ago, Soul oWar said:

So what is the conclusion for destruction in general if the scgt is representative of GH2???

Thanks

Conclusion is that mixed destruction is where it is at if you want to be competitive.

However, I dont think SCGT is going to be representative of GH2.

I fully expect the "Mooclan" and "StoneRukk" armies to be pointed out of use.

Hopefully Ironjawz will be repointed / reworked in a similar way to the Fyreslayers army.

Personally I would like to see a mixed destruction battletome - I dont think there are enough models in the separate races to build varied and unique armies. (There are more units in the Stormcast army than in the BCR / Ironjawz / Bonesplittaz combined! And far more battalions. Just think about that for a minute.)

18 hours ago, Soul oWar said:

So what is the conclusion for destruction in general if the scgt is representative of GH2???

SCGT is in no way representative of GH2 other than trialling new Fyreslayer and Death points within the existing format.

There are a number of possible outcomes within the new book that will shake things up for us Destruction players. If nothing else though, I think it's probably a safe assumption that Frostlords on Stonehorns have ruined Battlebrew for everyone else!

If they choose to make any changes to the basic Destruction traits/artefacts that could shake things up and that's before we talk potential points amendments.

Whilst it's interesting to speculate, I think personally I'd rather just have a bit of fun for the next couple of months and then see what drops. Should reignite some discussion on here regardless :) 

4 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

If nothing else though, I think it's probably a safe assumption that Frostlords on Stonehorns have ruined Battlebrew for everyone else!

:D Who would do a thing like that?!

If they changed battlebrew to one swig +1 to hit, 2 swigs +1 to hit and wound it would be fine.

Also expect that GH2 will go on the backburner now that the big summer release is 8th edition 40k

Back last August I played Pete Foley (I believe he was partly responsible for writing GHB1) at the first Alliance event and smashed his Dracothian based stormcast army off the table in 2 turns with my Triple Stonehorn one with Battlebrew list. Before I realised who he was I was saying to him that Battle Brew was way overpowered, and that I thought it was a misprint and should have had the words "Once per battle" added to it.
If it turns out that BB gets reduced to once per game then I apologise now, it was all my fault.
Back then, it was overpowered, no doubt about it. However, with the power creep especially in shooting, I don't think it is any longer (against the new lists, although it's obviously just as OP against older lists) - so long as only 1 Frostlord can take it. A lot of people have said that from a fluff/narrative perspective all these artefacts should be unique and I hope GW do only allow one of any artefact to be taken in an army.

I've never seen or been to a tournament. My question about attending such events is, how important is the quality of the paintjob your army has in this event? Do you see a wide variety of skill levels when it comes to the painting or are most armies well painted?

Archived