Why doesn't Sigmar get off his ass?

In the first couple of ages in the mortal realms it's said that Sigmar personally went around and meet the other gods, beat up monsters etc.

Then he locked up Azyr and hasn't been out of his castle since.

Alarielle personally contributes to battle as does Nagash. Why doesn't Sigmar?

At first I thought it was because he lost his warhammer. But after he got it back he gave it away to the Prime rather than use it himself. 

When he sent envoys to talk to Alarielle and Nagash they both ended up finding their respective gods but he didn't come down to treat with them at that point.

For someone who is so powerful and so interested in routing out chaos from the realms why is he so lazy? It's not like he's on a life support chair like some other god-kings I know.

The only other gods who are equally unwilling to personally make an appearance are the chaos gods. I don't know why that is either.

They bring this up in all-gates he would like to go out and fight but he has to direct so many organizations along with the stormcast armies etc that he does not have time to do so. Hence he fights by proxy. 

Alarielle largely just has to worry about the living city and sylvaneth. 

Nagash in the last realm gate novel went around gathering the mortarch's again for his various plots and the mortarch's and their servants are extensions of his will. 

The thing is even though nagash and Alarielle take to the field personally they can't be everywhere at once hence why sigmar is going the proxy route. It's the reason why Archaon lost Asqhy but manged to hold Chamon's all point he can't be everywhere at once no matter how powerful he is. 

The method sigmar is using he is actually being met with success in various area's because he has many reliable proxies. The order of ayzr, Devoted of sigmar, Free guild and the stormcasts etc. 

Mate why would you dirty your own hands when you can constantly rebind the souls of your Eternal Warriors to their flesh, deeply scarring them mentally over the course of several millenia? 

Also I bet he's a knackered after hanging on to the core of the Old World for unknwon amounts of time.

I vote we all chip in and get him a nice pillow to sit on.

#PillowCastEternal

As usual, Shinros nailed the answer. Sigmar's a God-KING, he has to direct his armies and cities from a proper vantage point which can't be done at ground level.

My favorite example is just from the fluff-bit during the Tzeentch release that said Sigmar is constantly tracking the seemingly random and chaotic movements of the Tzeentch cults and unraveling their ultimate plan.

There's no way he'd be able to get such a grand overview of Tzeentch's plot if he was running around the mortal plans instead of being in Azyrheim pouring over maps and reports.

See for example Teclis, Tyrion and Grungni who are running around in the unknown right now and have no effect on the current reclaimed lands trying to keep Order from being overrun. 

The only other gods who are equally unwilling to personally make an appearance are the chaos gods. I don't know why that is either.

This actually reminds me of a crazy theory of mine concerning Sigmar, the planet core that entered the realm of chaos and how Azyrheim has strange timeflows and gets more powerful when Sigmar's worshippers win victory for him.

But that's not important right now...

I also think Sigmar would put himself at too much risk.  He's more of the scope of the Everqueen and Nagash whereas the chaos gods are true horrors beyond space and time. 

Spoiler

I heard on a podcast that Nagash getting stomped by Archaon ended up having ongoing ramifications for his state of mind and the actions of his servants.  

Sigmar getting wounded or simply delayed or isolated could be disastrous for the ongoing resurgence of order in the mortal realms.

Now, I have a question that I can't find is answer and as is Sigmar related I will do it here.

The friend dragon that helped Sigmar create the mortal realms and in return Sigmar give him a necklace of Sigmarite... in the lexicanum and AoS wiki said that Gorkamorka knocked it over and Sigmar was angry and fight against Gorkamorka for that. That dragon was killed at that moment, ot just KO'ed by GM?

9 minutes ago, Galas said:

Now, I have a question that I can't find is answer and as is Sigmar related I will do it here.

The friend dragon that helped Sigmar create the mortal realms and in return Sigmar give him a necklace of Sigmarite... in the lexicanum and AoS wiki said that Gorkamorka knocked it over and Sigmar was angry and fight against Gorkamorka for that. That dragon was killed at that moment, ot just KO'ed by GM?

If thats Dracothian you're refering to then no he isn't dead

23 minutes ago, Galas said:

Got knocked down. God-beasts mentions him again. Also, he is the one to actually create the realms, or at least the base upon which the Incarnates/Gods would work on. He is going for the comet in order to use it as a moon and meets Sigmar by "chance" (though dracothian is nigh-omniscient and has the slaan under his fold soo...)

4 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

As usual, Shinros nailed the answer. Sigmar's a God-KING, he has to direct his armies and cities from a proper vantage point which can't be done at ground level.

My favorite example is just from the fluff-bit during the Tzeentch release that said Sigmar is constantly tracking the seemingly random and chaotic movements of the Tzeentch cults and unraveling their ultimate plan.

There's no way he'd be able to get such a grand overview of Tzeentch's plot if he was running around the mortal plans instead of being in Azyrheim pouring over maps and reports.

See for example Teclis, Tyrion and Grungni who are running around in the unknown right now and have no effect on the current reclaimed lands trying to keep Order from being overrun. 

This actually reminds me of a crazy theory of mine concerning Sigmar, the planet core that entered the realm of chaos and how Azyrheim has strange timeflows and gets more powerful when Sigmar's worshippers win victory for him.

But that's not important right now...

Its also worth noting that we way simply have not been given the answer yet like so many things.

There have been many hints to mysterys unsolved from other peoples perspective. To name but one example would be Nagash amazed by how Sigmar has some how manipulated and bound souls in a way even more efficient and potent than the god of death can manage as said in "Lord of Undeath"

It could be that there is some unknown factor keeping Sigmar in Azyr that has something to do with the stormcast power. Perhaps he is a little like Caledor stuck in the vortex.

A focal point for the stormcasts power who needs to keep channeling the power of Azyr into is warriors. Maybe stormcasts would lose their power if Sigmar were to leave. Who knows.

When you think about the amount of questions in 40k. Sigmar sitting in Azyr seems pretty tame.

37 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

It could be that there is some unknown factor keeping Sigmar in Azyr that has something to do with the stormcast power. Perhaps he is a little like Caledor stuck in the vortex.

A focal point for the stormcasts power who needs to keep channeling the power of Azyr into is warriors. Maybe stormcasts would lose their power if Sigmar were to leave. Who knows.

*coff* Golden Throne *coff* Astronomican *coff*

I imagine Sigmar and the Chaos gods sitting around planning out their armies movements using tiny models to represent their troops movements, failures, and successes.  They should make a game out of that!  Wait a second...

Sigmar is the spiritual embodiment of the Emperor made manifest to fight chaos In the magical realms of AoS. For the moment the Emperor's gaze is tied up elsewhere, when this happens Sigmar fades away until such time that the Emperor can reassert his presence in the realms of AoS. Sigmars soldiers and envoys are led to believe that Sigmar has just locked himself away to deliberate about his war against Chaos... but we all know the truth...

20 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

Sigmar's more like a modern day president, prime minister, dictator...

Sigmar is a liar and tries to make wealth on the back of his citizens? Occupy Sigmaron!! :P

Call me a cynic but it's just a move by GW to have an ace up their sleeve. When things will eventually go wrong, they can pull a Rowboat like in w40k. Nothing shakes up a game like the mega-cool heroe that saves the day.

That or Sigmar really is an Emperor equivalent requiring to stay in his palace (AoS version of astronomican, etc...), which wouldn't be surprising considering how the stormcast idea copies so much off 40k.

Archived