TGA Destruction Bros at #SCGT2017 - How we did...

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Caffran101 said:

Its a shame that all of the rumors around GHB2 is pointing to my army list becoming unusable. Hopefully it wont arrive before the next competition (Bristol Smash in June).

Because of a rumoured point change or is there something happening to Destruction army composition?

1 hour ago, Ratrek said:

Because of a rumoured point change or is there something happening to Destruction army composition?

Rumours is that there will be points increase for savage orruks / grots / stonehorns / thundertusks (basically all my army that isnt an ironjaw)

Well I did terrible as expected really. Did manage 2 minor wins which is something. 

It was my second aos tournament an I learnt a lot. 

I will say I enjoyed the event. But that was more due to the company than the games. All my opponents where awesome. 

Ironjawz are in such a difficult place at the mo. On the way home my friend said oh why don't you just play mixed. But sadly I think a good mixed list doesn't include much ironjawz. So at that point it's a whole new army. An I wanna play jawz. 

I think ardboyz are crying out to be made generic battleline. That would give us a chance to add the odd thing in to help the army out. I'm not looking for the army to be broken. Just to give up a good fight as it should. 

I felt bad at times I couldn't even give my opponents a good game. It felt like times I had in 8th when you started the game looking for a 10/10. I.e. How can I not lose this. For that reason I to will consider whether I wanna dedicate so much time effort An money to getting smashed off the table all weekend. 

Why cant they make a pack that helps rubbish army's An hinders the good. Surely that will even things out.

im not giving up on jawz though I did feel like it at times. But Their is nothing else I wanna play or paint at the mo. I'll lean into the hobby side An some wacky list gorefist anyway? ardfist? 

anyway rant over lol.

thanks to @DeadlySarcasm An his friend for the taxi share. Hang in there bro!

Was nice to meet you @Chris Tomlin your jawz are even better in person. They an you are a great inspiration. Time for me to get converting me thinks. 

Thanks to everyone else I met to many to list here. An well done to all that attended 

Great post @Tom, I particularly agree with this;

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I'm not looking for the army to be broken. Just to give up a good fight as it should. 

The more the meta pushes into heavy shooting, the more we rely on that T2 double turn to have a chance. I'm honestly not whinging and still love playing with the Ironjawz. It's just frustrating at times. I feel like I am a good player (other than round 3 at SCGT haha...do not know what I was playing at there!!) and my army really hinders me at times. I don't want to have to switch armies to stand a chance as I don't mind the challenge of an uphill battle,. It's quite rewarding when you do get a good finish with Ironjawz, I just have to accept that sometimes I wont! I think the SCGT essentially "comping" Ironjawz (and not a lot of other armies it has to be said!) didn't help things for us this weekend, I also think most the agendas were tough for us as well.

All this said, I did still feel in most of the games up until a point and actually winning a priority in my first three games might have helped things (no exaggeration).

Like you Tom, I'm just going to mess around with some silly lists until GH2 comes out now. I'm going to try to assemble my other 15 Gore-gruntas this weekend!!

Let's hang on in there though, I have complete faith GH2 will go some way to restore balance, however that may come.

Finally, thanks for the kind comments Tom. Was cool to meet you (and also Dan, you're the kind of guys I could see myself hanging out and playing games with - top banter!) and see your army; I've been a big fan of it ever since @Ben tweeted the pics from Alliance, so was nice to see it in person. Thanks for the beer. Hopefully catch up soon.

@Caffran101 - Once again well done mate, I'm glad someone was able to get some Ironjawz models high up in the final standings!!

Yeah I noticed you never got me a beer back @Chris Tomlin !! ? Next time mate.

@Dan Hadert said he enjoyed the game he particularly enjoyed meeting his mums toy boy. 

Thanks for the army comments. Finally got myself on twitter tom@tom_maggot. @Ben wasn't the first to tell me how good the community is on their. I have zero idea what I'm doing so just looking at all the pretty pictures at this point lol. 

On 24/04/2017 at 2:15 PM, ChippyRick said:

This event has made me decide one thing with my destruction. i definitely wont be playing the 40+ Kunnin Rukk archer lists ever. Played against it Game 5 (against a great player and real top guy) but it wasnt great at all.
My opponent tried so hard to be as quick as possible and was prepared before hand with dice and rules, but it was still long and slow turn wise. We only managed 2 turns and both mine we 10-15 max either side of being double turned!! I lost 30-0 for 0 kill points and just watched and waited. My opponent also felt rushed, felt bad and wasnt enjoying himself either (which i dont think the mission was helpful for him either tbh) and all in all killed the day for me as after that i had to play the dreaded game 6 ;). I was tired lol.

I will say it again though, i have no negative thoughts towards the gent i played as he is genuinely an awesome guy and as i know him it was a chance to hang out and chat what ever was happening in the game.

It's OK Ricky, you don't need to change names or anonymise to protect the innocent - I'll stand up and be counted. I was the ****** who spoiled Ricky's weekend!! Ricky is an utterly top bloke and put on a really brave face as I rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled dice. We did have a great chat and it was fun hanging out with him, but yeah the actual game wasn't that much fun for either of us - poor Ricky was just bored and I felt terrible at giving such a poor game. Sorry mate - next time we meet we'll have a proper game.

I've been running various iterations of Kunnin Rukk plus monsters for about 6 months now, done about 8 tournaments of various sizes, so I'll give you my opinion. The first thing is that I am sick to death of rolling bloody dice, and can't wait for the points to go up! I have tried lots of ways of making the dice rolling as slick as possible, but as Ricky said it still takes forever. Many of you will have seen the photo on Twitter of Tony Moore playing Ian Spink's Rukk, and that sums up many opponents experience. The only reason I keep playing the list is because it is SO good at getting the win. As soon as it's not viable I am dropping the Rukk. Matchups are an important part of how much fun the game is going to be - and some such as Death, Ironjaws, High Elves, most Stormcast lists, are all going to be poor experiences for my opponents.

Having said that I have had some absolutely AMAZING games with the list. I had 3 of my most favourite games ever at this last weekend at SCGT. 2 against double chicken lists (Bryan Carmichael and Rob Bradley) I won 1 and lost the other. Both players had really fun game, really tactical. Then final game was vs the mixed order gunline (Tom Hutchings) and again we both had a terrific game, very close. Both voted for each other as best sports in the end. So against some armies it is a fun game.

It would be nice if GW could tone the Rukk down and make it fewer shots with better effects so you could roll half the dice, but the Bonesplitterz book won't be changed for many years, so no point wishing. The points will go up in GHB2, I just hope they reduce it to a viable choice rather than nerf it out of existence. But I won't be using them.

My tentative plan is to go Pure Beastclaw after GHB2 drops. Charge stuff, have fun, and actually get to the end of games! That is one of the most frustrating things about the list - I rarely get past turn 3 unless someone takes the Rukk off. I would do it now, but the list is so good for a mediocre player like me - I came 7th at SCGT! (and would have come 3rd if we had got to turn 4 in final game - DOH!).

So there you go.

On 2017-04-24 at 2:45 PM, Caffran101 said:

Rumours is that there will be points increase for savage orruks / grots / stonehorns / thundertusks (basically all my army that isnt an ironjaw)

Nuts.

As someone who just bought Savages yesterday to flesh out my Ironjawz with some more bodies, that's irritating.

Any rough rumors on how much? 20% maybe?

Good post Paul @Soup Dragon.

As you say, there won't be changes to the Bonesplitterz warscrolls for sometime. However as well as amending points costs, they also have the facility to amend unit sizes within The General's Handbook. Part of my feedback to GW was to decrease the maximum unit size for Savage Orruk Archers. That is one simple way to decrease the efficiency and the sheer volume of dice rolling required.

Setting the cap to 30 would be the best solution. I suggested that yonks ago on the thread about GH v2 suggestions. Less crazy damage and it's easier to whittle them down to 19 models (whereas doing 42 wounds in one turn is quite a challenge). Maybe they could make Big Stabbaz cheaper as a consolation.

Bit late to the party here, and I won't go into my games as that's all on my blog https://binxshobbyblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/24/if-only-i-could-win-priority-scgt17/

Overall finished with 2 major wins and 4 major losses with my pure Bonesplitterz force. Would have won my last game had I won the roll off for turn 5.

6 great games, 5 of which were against new opponents. Disappointed with 139th, losing the last roll off cost me 45-50 places.

Retiring the Bonesplitterz for a bit now but glad they can hold their own with a friendly Kunnin Rukk with only 20 arrow boyz

Archived