Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, stratigo said:

Ko don’t screen. Sure I could put dwarf warriors in in front, but the list build that dictates is one everyone I have played with it hates, and it is sort of the worst excess of shooting.  It’s a boring list really. Just a ton of arkanauts shooting. Also you can’t do this in a drop in list at all

Any unit shooting at a bat swarm is usually a waste of shots. 

Well the rule is here so people will be throwing all sort of fast expendable units at us, we will have to be doing something. Screening is easily achieved with 10 man Arkanaut units protecting bigger or more critical units, or use Thunderers who retreat from combat with the bats in the opponents combat phase.  Shooting can be achieved using the pistol shots from another nearby unit who likely wont be in range of anything but these expendable units, so its far from shots wasted, they are actually getting to shoot something. 

16 hours ago, stato said:

Well the rule is here so people will be throwing all sort of fast expendable units at us, we will have to be doing something. Screening is easily achieved with 10 man Arkanaut units protecting bigger or more critical units, or use Thunderers who retreat from combat with the bats in the opponents combat phase.  Shooting can be achieved using the pistol shots from another nearby unit who likely wont be in range of anything but these expendable units, so its far from shots wasted, they are actually getting to shoot something. 

I find that 120 points makes for a very poor screen

On 5/20/2018 at 5:03 PM, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I groaned a little when I saw Look Out Sir! :S

In context with the change to mystic shield it’s fine. It’s not as effective MS 1.0 and look out sir and mystic shield won’t stack. Overall better for KO.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:32 AM, Balloon Dwarf said:

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone tried magnetising their skyriggers so that they can play them as either skywardens or endrinriggers? I really like both styles of model and kinda want the ability to field both. Was hoping someone here had some ideas?

Yeah it's doable. Ultimately it comes down to the extent you want to magnetise. I didn't do heads, there are different style heads for skyriggers and endrinriggers but I just mixed them up. I just did arms. You can run into a bit of difficulty with some of the guns. The grapnel launcher, skyhook and drill cannon all have the same base but different weapon heads. I just chose one and stuck with it, you'd have to get a bit creative if you were to try magnetise those.

It takes a long time though.

Has any of you Admirals faced Deepkin yet? 

How did you fare?

Any suggestions for target priority? (as much as you can when you have to shoot the nearest unit)

Tactics to deal with their brutal charges?

15 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

In context with the change to mystic shield it’s fine. It’s not as effective MS 1.0 and look out sir and mystic shield won’t stack. Overall better for KO.

how will -1 to hit not stack with reroll 1s to save? 

39 minutes ago, Asamu said:

You can bring Dispossessed Warriors for 80 points.

they do make a significantly better screen.

The foot based KO army has pretty poor objective play though, and your screens only last a turn.

It might be better to try out vulkites, but I don't have any. They arre the one group that has a mobile screen (20 vulkites and a smiter) to keep up with a zilfin type list.

3 hours ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

Think he means we don't have to sorry about the old mystic shield stacking with new look out sir rule.

That makes sense.  As a side note my other army's Archwarlock on Balewind is actually kinda excited about the change to Mystic Shield - I'd rather him be 2+ reroll 1s than 1+; there's probably several other armies that it might be semi beneficial for as well.  

3 hours ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

Think he means we don't have to sorry about the old mystic shield stacking with new look out sir rule.

That. And Look out won’t work on heroes with the monster keyword or work against melee. Overall it’s statistically better over the whole turn even if it feel like it’s not. I can’t remember the last time the General I was trying to kill didn’t have mystic shield and rerolls something on the saves. At least endrinriggers got better in melee.

ultimately the changes to dispelling. MS, and Bolt are straight benefits for KO, and I was glad to see them, though for the game overall the arguments of people noting that it doesn't really stop the turbo magic armies and indeed beefs up THEIR casting did convince me that it probably scews the balance in matchups against DoT and LoN.

And then the summoning preview came out and... just... yeah.

20 hours ago, stato said:

Has any of you Admirals faced Deepkin yet? 

How did you fare?

Any suggestions for target priority? (as much as you can when you have to shoot the nearest unit)

Tactics to deal with their brutal charges?

Anyone?

Anyone?

10 minutes ago, stato said:

Anyone?

Anyone?

I played one 500p game against some deepkin, of course nowhere near representative.

I used a frigate, 10 Arkanauts and the Lord Ordinator Harbinger. The game was relatively boring as I didnt have any movement shenanigans and It simply devolved into shooting his 20 Namarti Reavers while he resurrected D3+3 every turn. 

I think Barak-Zilfin and Endrinriggers are necessity when facing deepkin.

9 hours ago, Asamu said:

You can bring Dispossessed Warriors for 80 points.

Hope to see some ways to put the "skyfarer" tag on them. I already use them for screening but, don't know, seems wrong to move some companies and let others dwarf behind.

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Hope to see some ways to put the "skyfarer" tag on them. I already use them for screening but, don't know, seems wrong to move some companies and let others dwarf behind.

Ive used Disposessed warriors before, ended up unit of the match and contesting an objective on the opposite side of the board HA!  Auto run 4" and no shooting means they move quick if they arnt going to be charged.  That said ive used Wardens as a screen more often, sure they are not designed for that, but to serve purely as a buffer IF they opponent has quick units that will threaten my big Arkanaut units they do the job fine, with the advantage that they can move quick to be in the right place and serve another purpose if the opponent isnt charging me.

I think if we are being charged by sacraficial units 3 wardens with a grapnel might be an interesting option, 2 spears gives 5 attacks so think twice about charging with something too weak, grapnel is threat that must be removed or the unit will be jumping into their objectives late game.  Still much to learn before we can tell obv.  we dont know anything about the scenario yet, and what they are can make more difference than any rule changes.

Faction focus is up. Most important part:

"Rather trust to your guns? You won’t be disappointed. The points for loads of popular Kharadron Overlords units have been reduced, making them much more tempting choices in your army. The Grundstok Gunhauler is now 160 points, 80 (!) less than its previous cost in 2017 General’s Handbook, while the Arkanaut Frigate and Arkanaut Ironclad have seen similar drops. If you already own a sky-fleet of these ships for matched play games, chances are, you’ll find you now have points to add even more firepower into your list in the new edition"

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/28/28th-may-faction-focus-kharadron-overlordsgw-homepage-post-3/

16 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Faction focus is up. Most important part:

"Rather trust to your guns? You won’t be disappointed. The points for loads of popular Kharadron Overlords units have been reduced, making them much more tempting choices in your army. The Grundstok Gunhauler is now 160 points, 80 (!) less than its previous cost in 2017 General’s Handbook, while the Arkanaut Frigate and Arkanaut Ironclad have seen similar drops. If you already own a sky-fleet of these ships for matched play games, chances are, you’ll find you now have points to add even more firepower into your list in the new edition"

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/28/28th-may-faction-focus-kharadron-overlordsgw-homepage-post-3/

Hope thunderers come down too

Archived