Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

@stato

Good advice!  I like having boats, even if they’re not as good as they could (or should) be.

I’ve been pondering how to improve some aspects of the Overlords.  The poor old navigator for example.  He doesn’t get much love.  If only he had an ability that made him a must have, like the Khemist has. 

What if his read the winds ability was changed to instead allow one ship within line of sight (or the one he’s embarked upon) to move in the hero phase just like the Barak Zilfin footnote?  I’d be happy to give him a points increase to get access to something useful like that.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, just to update. Managed to finish up 20 Arkanauts, the Admiral and I'm calling my first frigate done (maybe some wash and highlights are needed but the heavy painting is done). Made a lot of mistakes on this model but I really love the silhouette. It reminds me of an aspect of model building I've always spectated but never had the  guts to try which is the high end Tamiya real-world ship models. Feels great to put my airbrush to work as well after months of it collecting dust.

Now working through my Aether-Khemist and the Arkanaut special weapons guys and I should have 1000 pts ready by mid-March. I've got the Start Collecting on its away along with Frigate and Skyriggers. I'm pretty much short of the Ironclad but that's a project I'll save for when I get the repeats out of the way.

Speaking of which, anyone have a Khazalid translator handy? I'd love to paint on the name of this first Frigate in Dwarf runes. Probably will call it "First Try" lol.

20180219_202645.jpg

20180219_202656.jpg

20180219_202702.jpg

20180219_202848.jpg

20180219_202911.jpg

Hi guys, I am trying figure out how does the Battalion rules work with Barak Zilfin. The Allegiance Ability of Bark Zilfin Warscroll Battalion states that "A Barak-Zilfin Iron Sky Squadron (pg128) can include up to one unit of Endrinnriggers for each Arkanaut Frigate included in the battalion."

Does that mean the points of a unit of Endrinriggers are not included in the total points cost of the list? A little confused as to the benefit there.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 3x Grapnel Launchers
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10x Aethershot Rifles

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Skyhook
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon

Battalions
Iron Sky Squadron (180)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

Just noticed that the Harbringer keyword for the Lord ordinator is only if playing Malign Portents rules. Yes, it's not on his warscroll keywords. Hence, no more allied general for KO allegiance in normal Pitched battles but to be fair it's pretty bonkers with the ironclad. 

A bit sad but happy as well.

I've finally moved onto working on my Endriggers but I notice one of the models (the torso with the round plate) is gappy at the join where the legs slot in. All three set of the Skywardens I have had that problem with this particular torso. I've tried scrapping it down and dry fitting but the gaps are still there and I hate doing green stuff work. Admittedly once the backpack is on, I probably wont even notice it but it kind of annoys me.

4 hours ago, Badlander86 said:

I've finally moved onto working on my Endriggers but I notice one of the models (the torso with the round plate) is gappy at the join where the legs slot in. All three set of the Skywardens I have had that problem with this particular torso. I've tried scrapping it down and dry fitting but the gaps are still there and I hate doing green stuff work. Admittedly once the backpack is on, I probably wont even notice it but it kind of annoys me.

Don't think it is supposed to be "gappy".  The extra space is just because the dude is in motion (and flying to boot) and his plate is hanging slightly away from his body.  When you glue him on the flight stand, just tip him forward a bit to represent this.

21 hours ago, Badlander86 said:

Same to me but no one can see lol 

5407ED93-768D-4C44-8422-ED410F22AB1F.jpeg

Hi, I got a general question about how to play KO (i don't lay them yet, just wondering wich army to choose).

How do you deal with armies that rush to you like IronJawz or buffed bloodletters, newly buffed death armies (skellies etc...) ? Do you try to evade them (but what about objectives taking ?), or do you use some units to tank them while shooting with others ? (If so, which Units ?).

Or maybe i don't get how to play them ?

Hi Brankignole, I haven't played a game of Age of Sigmar yet but I watched several games and studied some Theoryhammer ^^

KO are very fragile and you have to stay away from enemies (even more from rushing armies) while shooting them at distance.

When the foe is weakened enough, you can charge them with Endrinriggers (or Arkhanaut company in the worst case) to finish them off and seize objectives. 

A wall of Vulkites Berserkers Fyreslayers (or Stormcast Liberators) as allies works very well too to intercept the enemy charges, while your KO keep shooting and take objectives. Dispossessed are good also to tank.

That's my view, but I'll let the veterans talk :D

HI, some tricks that I try to use:

Versus friendly lists:

-Ships that can park in front of your army. They are not tanky enough, but can do the trick if you need something to survive a charge, or deny a zone.

-There is a footnote to move a ship in the hero phase (6"). You can use that to preview what will happen the next turn/2 turns and embark (move phase), move (move phase)+move 6" (your hero phase if double turn using footnote)+disembark ( same hero phase) to be a bit far to try to shoot again. Nothing big, but you can win 1 shooting phase if you are not playing versus competitive armies.

-Arkanaut companies have 7 expendable wounds. Use this troop like a cannon (that can take objectives and be carried by ships). Care for the battleshock phase (Arkanaut admiral+skyports traits help in having 7 aditional wounds before you lose your skyhooks). Try to know how many wounds are you going to take in a charge or in the combat face and play according to that. You only need the last 3 wounds to kill their people. (Note: Care for some pick+kill abilities like stardrake or Morathi).

-Navigator can help in moving faster your ships+troops (inside ships). Not a good strategy versus competitves armies because every turn that you don't kill them, it's a wasted turn. But friendly games don't require that type of gameplay (at least if you play vs armies that don't have a battletome yet).

-Skyhooks on your ships can be used to move a little. A bit hard to use, and can be eazy denied by your oponent positionment. Can be a good option to move (move phase)-Shoot (shooting phase)-Skyhook shoot/move(shooting phase) and get out of their spellcaster range.

Versus competitive lists(I try to avoid that), I only have experience with one list:
-I only play the clown fiesta ship. So, if I don't kill what I want in turn 1/2, the match will end in turn 3/4 (and I usually lose if there is something big enough to destroy my army, and believe me, the enemy don't need something really powerful to do that).

P.D: Sry for my english.

I asked this in one of the main KO FB channels, but I was curious your guys thoughts, if Generals Handbook 2018 came out, and there were no points changes for KO.  The only change being Thunderers were now battleline if your were are KO allegiance.  

Would your lists change?  What would you change them too?  Do you think I'd shake off the clowncar list?

Personally I don't think so, I think folks would just run 1 Arknaughts, 2 Thunderers, get some slightly extra points, and turn an ironclad clowncar into a 1 drop without the battalion, but I'm curious your thoughts.

1 minute ago, GlanceOnASix said:

I asked this in one of the main KO FB channels, but I was curious your guys thoughts, if Generals Handbook 2018 came out, and there were no points changes for KO.  The only change being Thunderers were now battleline if your were are KO allegiance.  

Would your lists change?  What would you change them too?  Do you think I'd shake off the clowncar list?

Personally I don't think so, I think folks would just run 1 Arknaughts, 2 Thunderers, get some slightly extra points, and turn an ironclad clowncar into a 1 drop without the battalion, but I'm curious your thoughts.

Yes, I think some lists would change.  No, I don't think it would shake KO off of clown car, but this has nothing to do with points.  It has everything to do with the units and abilities we have available.  The only viable build at the highest tiers of play is an alpha-strike build, although our gun lines can certainly be strong.  Until they diversify units and abilities, you won't see KO shift off of the alpha.

Me I'd get rid of the clown car build, think it looks dreadful on the table. (the opposite of how I envisage Overlord armies to look) I'd up riggers and wardens, and lower boats considerably, so you could get Ironclad, 2xfrigates, in a list all full of arkanaughts, with a few but not ridiculous numbers of riggers/wardens.   This also has an effect in mixed order armies, and would allow an ironclad as allies.

14 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

Me I'd get rid of the clown car build, think it looks dreadful on the table. (the opposite of how I envisage Overlord armies to look) I'd up riggers and wardens, and lower boats considerably, so you could get Ironclad, 2xfrigates, in a list all full of arkanaughts, with a few but not ridiculous numbers of riggers/wardens.   This also has an effect in mixed order armies, and would allow an ironclad as allies.

Agree 100%. A new hero or new battleline  designed for a diferent roll could help. At this moment, all of our tools are just to fire hard (AK skyhooks+khemist) or go ham (endrins+khemist). In other words, our best bet to win a game is exploiting an alpha strike (for our luck, we have ships and one drop army). We can't recieve punishment, we don't have magic phase, we don't have great sinergy between heroes/troops, we don't have prayers and our tools are not enough to be used for something that is not an alpha strike.

If we are trying to brainstorm ways to create more balance between the clown car and other lists, here is what I would do:

• I like the idea of making Frigates battleline instead. I think they're supposed to be the most common ship in the fluff, so it makes sense, and hopefully you would see more of them on the table that way. Or make it so this is only unlocked if you have an Admiral as your general or something like that.
  • Update the "Hitchers" rule so that only one unit of endrinriggers/skywardens can embark on a skyvessal without counting towards the capacity.
  • Decrease the points for the Skyvessals, heroes (except the Khemist), and maybe some of the battalions 
  • Make Barak Zilfin cost some points to take as your skyport (50-100). To me it seems so much better than the other skyports that if you are trying to take the best list you almost have to take it.

Doing those would incentivise people to use more ships and a bigger variety of heros and skyports.

2 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

• Update the "Hitchers" rule so that only one unit of endrinriggers/skywardens can embark on a skyvessal without counting towards the capacity.
  • Make Barak Zilfin cost some points to take as your skyport (50-100). To me it seems so much better than the other skyports that if you are trying to take the best list you almost have to take it.

More diversity is welcome but I am not sure KO need more nerf. 

9 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

I agree that they don't need a nerf, I don't think they need a buff either. So if you make some things cheaper/better, you have to make some more expensive/worse.

Yeah I think a lot of people overlook how good some aspects of KO are.  That they didnt do to Arkanaut Company what they did to Thunderers has only increased the spam of skyhooks, so I wouldnt be surprised to see arkanauts go to 140pt at the exchange of dropping 20pt on each ship. 80pt Thunderers might be an interesting option though.

Slowly painting up my KO force and I’m basically going to be going for either Mhornar or Urbaz but the list is pretty much where I want it and can adapt to either skyport as well as have an easy swap in if I want to up the nastiness of it once I have got myself another 6 riggers. 

Urbaz/Mhornar (no trading with some people) 

Admiral Gancho (Grudgebearer and Gimlet Lens if Urbaz)

Endrinmaster 

khemist (Aether Shock Earburster) 

3 x 10 company (3 pikes, 3 volley guns and 3 hooks) 

6 endrinriggers

Gunhauler (canon and this could be swapped for 6 more endrinriggers) 

Frigate  (bigger canon)

ironclad (biggest canon and the last word)

=1960 (1980) 

I’ve had a few low point games (750 or 1000) and have found that the company getting up close enough to shoot their pistols and then charge in with their cutlass (pirates carry swords) and pikes seem pretty decent and then the volley guns are also great for hitting heroes lurking behind things.  Either way it’s not optimal but they are a bunch of fun and I’m hoping by the end of this month should have near to the 2k ready and basecoated to get some serious looting done :-) so far frigate is finished  bar crew though I am going to change the bases as the effect I wanted didn’t pan out as I expected and here is a little pic for you chaps 

Any glaring silly mistakes made in the list or items etc? 

A8523B2A-7EE9-4457-B2AC-9BF52EC19168.jpeg

3 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

If we are trying to brainstorm ways to create more balance between the clown car and other lists, here is what I would do:

• I like the idea of making Frigates battleline instead. I think they're supposed to be the most common ship in the fluff, so it makes sense, and hopefully you would see more of them on the table that way. Or make it so this is only unlocked if you have an Admiral as your general or something like that.
  • Decrease the points for the Skyvessals, heroes (except the Khemist), and maybe some of the battalions 

Doing those would incentivise people to use more ships and a bigger variety of heros and skyports.

I think changing hitchers and charging for Zilfin would be overkill, just changing the hitchers rule would limit how silly the clown car can get.

• Make a generic Skyrigger hero, like Brokk but useful.  A command trait would be nice as well but not required.  Also make Brokk worth taking, points drop or buff.
  • A new battleline option is needed, even if its Battleline if a certain hero is general, we really need some options for variety.
  • Gunhauler needs an overhaul (haha) it needs a big drop in points or a big warscroll rework.
  • More units would be nice, but I dont think we are going to see those for a while.  Its hard to have a variety of builds when you dont have many units to choose from and 2-3 of them are useless in matched play.  There is a vehicle in the Iron Dragon book that they claim is a new invention of one of the captains that sounds a lot like an updated Gyrocopter, would be cool to see that get added.
  • Better command traits would be really nice, I think These are just Guidelines and Fleetmaster are the only two you ever take really. Artifacts could use some adjustment as well as there are a couple standouts that are very good and the rest are borderline useless with how the army plays on the table.
  • Along the lines of both 1 and 3 above I think an ironbreakers type unit would be nice, but it may negate one of our weaknesses too much. I cant imagine the KO havent found a need for some unit to help repel boarders in battle though. Allied Fyreslayers or Dispossessed can also fill that role pretty well. 

Archived