Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some great thoughts which I picked up, there will be some fun army builds!

ebullient Buyancy Aid is going to be great for loading ships with Khemists!

Gattleson's Endless Repeater on an Endrinmaster gives the potential for 18 damage! I think this is cool as I'll be using a White Dwarf 2010 subscription model as one :)

Just now, Requizen said:

Flipped through the Battletome just now. Reeeeeally interested with the rules and fluff. Lots of customization, my wallet is already pleading with me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Its the only thing in my order the store said they ran out from,  looks like ill have to wait another week.

As one who was spewing so much salt I fear that you all must have been mortally concerned for my blood pressure, after getting my hands on the book I'd like to say I might have over reacted a bit.  I know why I had over reacted, looking at the beautiful airships I had convinced myself that they would provide the bulk of the armies firepower and durability with the infantry acting as support/objective holders that were useful but nothing compared to the might of their airships.  When that proved not to be the case I must have found the nearest salt mine and started licking its walls.  The armies firepower is centered in the thunderer/khemist combo which is fine and I understand why they did it for balance reasons.  I'm sorry if I was a salty scalawag.

Having said that I've put together an experimental 2k list and would like to know what you all think about it.

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: Surrender Is Rarely Profitable

Leaders
Endrinmaster (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Staff of Ocular Optimisation 
Aether-Khemist (100)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3 x Light Skyhooks

- 3 x Light Skyhooks
- 3 x Skypikes

15x Grundstock Thunderers (300)
- 1 x Aethershot Rifles
- 14 x Aethershot Cannons

3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1 x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1 x Drill Cannons

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Total: 2000/2000

The idea for this list to pile two of the arkanaut companies and the endrinriggers into one of the ironclads and all of the characters and thunderers in the other.  Fly up taking pot shots at key characters and either get charged or get close to the enemy before dropping everyone out of the ironclads, on the far side of the ships if possible.  Khemist buff the thunderers pop the hero power and murder a key unit.  Use the Arkanauts to absorb charges to buy the thunderers more time to shoot.  One of the arkanauts will be on the ground to start and they will most likely trudge up to a back field objective and camp it.    

What do you guys think?

9 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Are Ironclads worth their points? Let alone 2?

They have the best points:carrying capacity ratio in the army, one ironclad has firepower comparable to 2 frigates and while not quite as durable as 2 frigates, healing on them does count for more because its harder to hurt them due to their better save.  

edit

and while one ironclad is 440pts, 2 frigates is 560pts

I just have to echo some others in this thread. The book is EXTREMELY well done. Lots of lore, customization, a very nice hobby section (I'm kind of new to painting so this was GREAT for me from a newer painters perspective).

Honestly I wasn't too enthusiastic when I first heard of them, but they've grown on me and I sincerely think GW hit a grandslam with this release!

9 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

And in comparison to other big models? Damage? staying power? 

Compared to other 400pt-ish models.... I mean as a sylvaneth player the closest we have is Durthu and I'd say their damage output is simular.   With durthu able to spike much higher with good roles.  It can't compare to something like Nagash or Archon but they cost much more points wise.    

staying power.... 18 wounds is a lot to chew through but with only a 4+ save its not too difficult too knock out, and it'll have a few chances to heal.  Its biggest advantage is the fact that the damage table on its profile is very gentle.  It continues to operate at full strength until its taken 5 wounds, and even then all it looses is a single aethershot carbine shot.  Doesn't loose a torpedo until its lost 13 wounds.  So it has that going for it.

I would say that a lot of its "points" value comes from its carrying capacity and its flagship rules.   

Can a ship equipped with a Great Skyhook and The Last Word, use those to effectively "retreat" when they are charged? The skyhook says immediately move d6 inches ending closer to the wounded target. So if I fire while engaged (assuming there is an enemy unit appropriately positioned) can I immediately move out of combat without penalty if I roll high enough for my movement?

edit: Answer is "no" specifically related to Last Word since that says you attack the unit that charged you. I still think it might work for a regular shooting phase while engaged.

1 hour ago, Shorewood said:

Compared to other 400pt-ish models.... I mean as a sylvaneth player the closest we have is Durthu and I'd say their damage output is simular.   With durthu able to spike much higher with good roles.  It can't compare to something like Nagash or Archon but they cost much more points wise.    

staying power.... 18 wounds is a lot to chew through but with only a 4+ save its not too difficult too knock out, and it'll have a few chances to heal.  Its biggest advantage is the fact that the damage table on its profile is very gentle.  It continues to operate at full strength until its taken 5 wounds, and even then all it looses is a single aethershot carbine shot.  Doesn't loose a torpedo until its lost 13 wounds.  So it has that going for it.

I would say that a lot of its "points" value comes from its carrying capacity and its flagship rules.   

Only 4 + and no access to mystic shield right?  (Don't know if they have a similar ability somewhere ).

5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Only 4 + and no access to mystic shield right?  (Don't know if they have a similar ability somewhere ).

The army has no internal access to mystic shield, but if they batton down the hatches, in which case no models can disembark/embark that turn it does get to re roll ones.  However, since its not a monster just a behemoth, I think it still benefits from cover.  

2 minutes ago, Shorewood said:

The army has no internal access to mystic shield, but if they batton down the hatches, in which case no models can disembark/embark that turn it does get to re roll ones.  However, since its not a monster just a behemoth, I think it still benefits from cover.  

No. I don't think so it's a ghb rule mentioning behemoths I think (but ghb not here too kook it up).

16 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

But.. Shooting is after movement. And movement is much more reliable to retreat. Why want this?

Because if you retreat you cannot shoot. If you get to move out of combat without retreating, it still lets you use all of your missle weapons while you get away from the combat you didnt like.

So looking at the Thunderers sprue we do only get one of each special weapon. Brainstorming using the spare mortar bomb you could mount it into one of the other weapons to get two mortars out of the kit.

Thinking it might make a nice unit with varied range threat which would be nice.

Archived