Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

1 hour ago, Dez said:

You are on a good path with what you've got. Frigates and Navigators are rarely used, just as an FYI. The optimal unit of Endrinriggers is 9, with 3 of them having Grappling hooks.

Urbaz is a really good Skyport, doubling up on Khemist buffs is really nice. Try out Zilfin too, they have some great deployment/movement tricks. I highly suggest doing some test games before you start painting.

Or just paint some totally random color scheme that you can then say is any skyport per the faq that came out after firestorm..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at getting on board with Kharadron with the new battleforce box mentioned on the GW community site. I believe it contains:

• Admiral
  • Arkanaut Company
  • Frigate
  • Gunhauler
  • Skywardens/Endrinriggers

Any tips on where to go from here? I'll be painting them up like grimy pirates, so I was thinking going Mhornar, but with it being my own scheme it doesn't really matter.

5 hours ago, J.J said:

Looking at getting on board with Kharadron with the new battleforce box mentioned on the GW community site. I believe it contains:

• Admiral
  • Arkanaut Company
  • Frigate
  • Gunhauler
  • Skywardens/Endrinriggers

Any tips on where to go from here? I'll be painting them up like grimy pirates, so I was thinking going Mhornar, but with it being my own scheme it doesn't really matter.

A khemist or two for sure, more company to fill out battleline and probably more Riggers.  Not sure how many of each come in the box but those 3 units are definitely our most used units.

What seems to be the best target for a Khemist now? Now that Thunderers have to take mixed weapons or just rifles, the rifle Thunderers seem to be the best target?

I'm also assuming that the Arkanauts only come with one each of the weapon options, so to start with I'll have to run them fully mixed.

1 hour ago, J.J said:

What seems to be the best target for a Khemist now? Now that Thunderers have to take mixed weapons or just rifles, the rifle Thunderers seem to be the best target?

I'm also assuming that the Arkanauts only come with one each of the weapon options, so to start with I'll have to run them fully mixed.

If you are starting with the battleforce box id probably suggest getting 2 boxes of Arkanaughts over thunderers initially.  You will need at least 2 units for battle line at 1000pt so they help you there, and having 3 units in total (inc the one in the battleforce) means you can kit each squad out with all the same type of weapon.  Always good to start with the core of a force, plus skyhooks are probably the best weapon to boost with a Khemist too.  

3 hours ago, J.J said:

Same as it probably always was; Endrinrigger saws.

47 minutes ago, Bimli said:

Skywardens with drill cannon and vollygun giving a 3 man unit a good amount of shooting not to mention you can double tap your drill cannon with a khmesit so a unit of 3 is shooting 6 drillcannon shots  at 24" OMG!

Actually, each unit of 3 can only have 1 Drill cannon.  You would need to have a unit of 9 Skywardens to get 3 Drill cannons in the unit (to get the 6 shots with a Khemist buff).

Ive not used drill cannons as my balloon boys are combat orientated, but why is it better to run those to buff rather than Arkanaut unit with 3 skyhooks. The profile is the same, but rare potential for mortal wounds i suppose. I can see you being able to put them in a better position, but from my experience only 2 or 3 shots is not good enough to do reliable damage.

Equally volley guns,  Ive found riggers can dole out more reliable damage with their 3 shot 12" range rivet guns, as you will likely have them close up for a charge anyway. Compared to what most suggest which is wardens with volley gun, meaning their 1 shot 9" range vulcaniser pistols are always out of range.

If you are running Skywardens guns do more average damage than skypikes, if you're running riggers there is no reason to take anything but saw and grapnels.  

As for what to buff, I'm with Stato.  Company gets the buff every time on their skyhooks, only going to drill cannons if i've buffed all skyhooks and saws in range first.

Hello,

my Group started recently a Firestorm Campaign(we are at a point were its nearly always 2k lists) and my Overlords get mostly smashed.The Death Army is not a Problem but its the Skyre Mortal Wound Spam and Beastclaw Raiders/Ironjawz who made me nearly stop playing Overlords.I really try to make this Army work because i love the models but it feels like i just should start a second Army especially vs that Mortal Wound Spam.Heres what I mainly play from the Overlords.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords Skyport: Barak-Urbaz - Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Aether-Khemist (140) - General - Command Trait : Prospector - Artefact : Aethershock Earbuster

Aether-Khemist (140) - Artefact : Staff of Ocular Optimisation

Knight-Azyros (80) - Mystic Light : Shriving Light - Allies

Units

20 x Arkanaut Company (240) - 6 x Light Skyhooks

10 x Arkanaut Company (120) - 3 x Light Skyhooks

9 x Endrinriggers (360) - 2 x Grapnel Launchers

Reinforcement Points (0) Total: 1680 / 2000 Allies: 80 / 400

So 320 Points left to adjust what im facing

VS Skyre:I tried Hounds+more shooting stuff but they never triggered because the enemy found a Spot to not trigger them...I tried a Frigate to „protect“ my army but he just oneshoted it in one Turn but tbh i dont like the Frigate.What would you take for the left Points to increase my Chances or would you just go with a total different list vs him?I considered a Luminark of Hysk but idk if the 240 Points are worth the 6+ vs Mortal Wounds.

VS Death:Mostly not a problem.I will also that Barak-Urbaz vs him because he has only 2 morghasts and a vampire Lord on Dragon.Depending on the Win Condition i will mostly increase the size of the 10x Arkaunt Companys to 20 and give them 6 Aethermatic Volley Guns and take 6 Skywardens with 2 Volley Guns just for the 40 skeletons+Wightking Block or just more Riggers.

VS Beastclaw Raiders or Ironjawz Player: I tried to Kite but i feel like this is just autolose.Everything from me dies so fast and it feels like it doesnt even matter where i put my stuff hes in Combat superearly anyway.I tried to go for Objectives but feels like i cant do much vs them.I really dont know what to take vs them i would probably just take some liberators to block them or give the Frigate another chance.

Thank you all

Where is everyone getting all their light skyhooks from? My arkanaut company came with a measly one in the box, but the option of 3. Which means if I want three minimum units outfitted properly I need an extra six! Obviously every bits site and ebay are out of stock and no one locally has any (nor should they, anyone building KO would want extra as well, not have extra left over). Is there a secret site you get yours at? Are you rich and just don't gaf and got 9 boxes to make 3 units? Did you get preposterously lucky on a local FB group?

For an urbaz list, first, you want an admiral always. That 12 inch no battleshock bubble is 100 percent required in my opinion. You arkanauts are going to get charged and are going to getkilled en masse. And mostly, it never matters, only 30 percent of your unit is important. As long as the skyhooks keep firing, your unit is effective.

Next, you want cheap screens. ESPECIALLY against the ironjawz. Make them waste at least a turn killing something cheap (being a old fantasy player, I use dwarf warriors). This also helps zone out deepstriking, although skryre has the wierd "We pop up 3 inches away, lulul" thing going for them.

Then, I'd reccomend beefing your companies up. I run 2 units of 30 and one of 10.

Heck, I'll post my urbaz list

Admiral

Khemist

Khemist

3X 10 dwarf warriors

2x 30 arkanauts

10 arkanauts

12 riggers

Against ironjawz this is pretty straightforward. Screen in front, companies with characters embedded, riggers in the back. You take his first charge on your screens and they all die, and then you shoot the enemy to death. The riggers go where you need them, either to target an important enemy, or to hit objectives in the backline and mop up support. You won't kill them all, but you should be able to grind them out with your battleshock immune companies, shooting the whole time. Ironjawz aren't great snipers. Raiders you just have to kill the snowball chucker asap.

Against Skryre, it's trickier. He will choose the engagement, cause that's skryre, and he can snipe your chars. Now with enough mass you can zone his drop in units out from your characters and the riggers (and the rest are less important), but it's hard to block a WLC, those are a target I'd probly grapnel to, kill, and then maybe grapnel back. And then it's just hoping you have the skyhooks left. If you do, you've a fairly solid chance.

9 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Where is everyone getting all their light skyhooks from? My arkanaut company came with a measly one in the box, but the option of 3. Which means if I want three minimum units outfitted properly I need an extra six! Obviously every bits site and ebay are out of stock and no one locally has any (nor should they, anyone building KO would want extra as well, not have extra left over). Is there a secret site you get yours at? Are you rich and just don't gaf and got 9 boxes to make 3 units? Did you get preposterously lucky on a local FB group?

conversions. I have a few from all the riggers I bought (they don't fit perfecty), I've used old dwarf telescope thingies and steam drills and I am using mildly converted quarrellers to make up the rest. Albeit, when I run a mass of companies, my dudes are mostly old dwarves with a few overlord conversions here and there. Hard to afford 7 boxes of arkanauts on top of the 6 boxes of skyriggers.

1 hour ago, stratigo said:

For an urbaz list, first, you want an admiral always. That 12 inch no battleshock bubble is 100 percent required in my opinion. You arkanauts are going to get charged and are going to getkilled en masse. And mostly, it never matters, only 30 percent of your unit is important. As long as the skyhooks keep firing, your unit is effective.

Next, you want cheap screens. ESPECIALLY against the ironjawz. Make them waste at least a turn killing something cheap (being a old fantasy player, I use dwarf warriors). This also helps zone out deepstriking, although skryre has the wierd "We pop up 3 inches away, lulul" thing going for them.

Then, I'd reccomend beefing your companies up. I run 2 units of 30 and one of 10.

Heck, I'll post my urbaz list

Admiral

Khemist

Khemist

3X 10 dwarf warriors

2x 30 arkanauts

10 arkanauts

12 riggers

Against ironjawz this is pretty straightforward. Screen in front, companies with characters embedded, riggers in the back. You take his first charge on your screens and they all die, and then you shoot the enemy to death. The riggers go where you need them, either to target an important enemy, or to hit objectives in the backline and mop up support. You won't kill them all, but you should be able to grind them out with your battleshock immune companies, shooting the whole time. Ironjawz aren't great snipers. Raiders you just have to kill the snowball chucker asap.

Against Skryre, it's trickier. He will choose the engagement, cause that's skryre, and he can snipe your chars. Now with enough mass you can zone his drop in units out from your characters and the riggers (and the rest are less important), but it's hard to block a WLC, those are a target I'd probly grapnel to, kill, and then maybe grapnel back. And then it's just hoping you have the skyhooks left. If you do, you've a fairly solid chance.

Okay thanks i think this will help me , we´ll see after the weekend.Whats the snowball chucker?Frostlord on a mount?

10 hours ago, SupportOnly said:

Hello,

my Group started recently a Firestorm Campaign(we are at a point were its nearly always 2k lists) and my Overlords get mostly smashed.The Death Army is not a Problem but its the Skyre Mortal Wound Spam and Beastclaw Raiders/Ironjawz who made me nearly stop playing Overlords.I really try to make this Army work because i love the models but it feels like i just should start a second Army especially vs that Mortal Wound Spam.Heres what I mainly play from the Overlords.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords Skyport: Barak-Urbaz - Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Aether-Khemist (140) - General - Command Trait : Prospector - Artefact : Aethershock Earbuster

Aether-Khemist (140) - Artefact : Staff of Ocular Optimisation

Knight-Azyros (80) - Mystic Light : Shriving Light - Allies

Units

10 x Arkanaut Company (120) - 3 x Light Skyhooks

Reinforcement Points (0) Total: 1680 / 2000 Allies: 80 / 400

So 320 Points left to adjust what im facing

VS Skyre:I tried Hounds+more shooting stuff but they never triggered because the enemy found a Spot to not trigger them...I tried a Frigate to „protect“ my army but he just oneshoted it in one Turn but tbh i dont like the Frigate.What would you take for the left Points to increase my Chances or would you just go with a total different list vs him?I considered a Luminark of Hysk but idk if the 240 Points are worth the 6+ vs Mortal Wounds.

VS Death:Mostly not a problem.I will also that Barak-Urbaz vs him because he has only 2 morghasts and a vampire Lord on Dragon.Depending on the Win Condition i will mostly increase the size of the 10x Arkaunt Companys to 20 and give them 6 Aethermatic Volley Guns and take 6 Skywardens with 2 Volley Guns just for the 40 skeletons+Wightking Block or just more Riggers.

VS Beastclaw Raiders or Ironjawz Player: I tried to Kite but i feel like this is just autolose.Everything from me dies so fast and it feels like it doesnt even matter where i put my stuff hes in Combat superearly anyway.I tried to go for Objectives but feels like i cant do much vs them.I really dont know what to take vs them i would probably just take some liberators to block them or give the Frigate another chance.

Thank you all

Depending on the lists you face, a frigate should give you a low number of drops and the potential to choose turn.  For the list, it looks good but maybe go 30/10/10 on the arkanauts. The 30 gives 9 hooks in one unit, so easier to keep buffed and harder to get rid of them.  You can then use your units of 10 to screen and prevent the opponent getting on you early.  The frigate also lets you have an objective taker, or act as a wound magnet, either are good, dont worry if it dies as thats a unit of riggers he hasnt killed instead! 

For other objectives you are kind of tied, as your only mobile units, riggers, are wanting to be in combat.  I use the Azyros and some prosecutors for objective grabbing and general distraction away from my Arkanuats, which are the real meat in the army.  He is 80pt so his loss is not great, but he can often distract a high value unit or hero as the opponent worries about how much his re-roll buff will hurt.  Note also, dont think you can give him a mystic light as he is an ally and does not have his allegiance (happy to be told otherwise but thats what i was told)

Lastly, for the rigger dont just use the grapnels to charge straight into the enemy lines, while they will kill what they hit a counter charge will easilly wipe them out.  If you go in you need to be sure they wont be counter charged by something that will wipe them, or that if they do get wiped the unit that did it will now be out of place and struggle to attack anything else of yours for a few turns. You can also use it to get out of combat and steal back line objectives or pull opponents out of position. Ive done this once where i pulled my riggers away with a grapnel and charged another unit into the unit they had been in combat with, this meant my few remaining riggers were free to survive another turn and then attack a hero that was hiding in the back on an objective.

12 hours ago, SupportOnly said:

what did you equip on the warriors?Double Handed Axes+Shield?According to scrollbuilder i can equip the -1 Rend Weapon +Shield on every Model.thats true?sorry for asking so much but the wording isnt clear for me in the warscroll.

Oh... sorry. Yeah great weapon shield.

The warriors are just what I have though, you can substitute them for any cheapish allies to act as blockers.

Archived