Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

Hello Overlords,

I have a quick question. I found a deal on the KO and as an avid Dwarf player I would love to supplement my Dwarfs with a detachment of both KO and FyreSlayers. The deal I ran into consists of: Frigate, 10x arkanaut company, admiral + battletome, cards and markers for €100. I can see how much I would save but as I bought the GH through iBooks I can't see their points. Could anyone tell me the points for these models? Any other things that spring to mind would be helpful as well!

(full disclosure, I'm not very competitive focused, so i'm not necessarily looking for a lot of synergies but it would be nice if it could be the base for a small KO army in the future.)

Thanks all! 

Just a useful tip, but if you go here https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/  you can get the points for any and all armies you want! 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BaronBanana said:

Reading the book, I'm having a bit of hard time understanding Artefact/endrinwork allocation.  So I get one artefact and endrinwork for playing the game.  I get an additional one each for each warscroll battalion.  I get one additional artefact for playing Barak Urbaz.  So that would put me at 3 artefacts and 2 endrinworks with one battalion?  I can have multiple of the same thing, just not on the same model?

You are exactly correct on all accounts.  I will mention however, I have heard in many events folks make rules against duplicating the same artifacts.  Just something to think about.  But currently rules as written you can take 3 earbursters to your hearts content.  (oh man the idea of 4 battle shock tests on a squad... /chills)

9 minutes ago, GlanceOnASix said:

You are exactly correct on all accounts.  I will mention however, I have heard in many events folks make rules against duplicating the same artifacts.  Just something to think about.  But currently rules as written you can take 3 earbursters to your hearts content.  (oh man the idea of 4 battle shock tests on a squad... /chills)

What I was thinking of doing was double Ironclad with a self healing hull, each with endrinriggers, two units of ArkCo, and a khemist with autotinker.  Try to heal 4 wounds a turn  for each Ironclad seems funny on paper, probably not so good in practice

I proxied with friends some mass arkanaut forces and with the current buffs they can do quite well. Ran a list worth a few kemist a unit of 40 and 2 10s. Giving them battle shock immunity and skyhook buffs till they got in combat and all became a multiple attaching horde

So i played against slaanesh last night at 1500pts, using Barak Urbaz.

Came out with a major victory after i tabled him and took his objective ( gift from the heavens. 

Had 2 khemists, so with Urbaz' khemist buff i was able to buff my thunderers and endrinriggers twice and they absolutely smashed face. 

Endrinriggers ate a keeper of secrets, 2 daemon princes and 10 daemonettes by the end of the game xD. Thunderers also turned a whole unit of seekers and 2 20 man units of daemonettes into pink mist.

Took 3 arkanaut company and spread them in a screen, sadly they were pretty much chaff but one unit with 3 sky hooks did pretty well. 

Oh and the khemists somehow survived 2 rounds of combat and ended up shooting the unit engaging them into oblivion. 

Is it just me or is Urbaz the way to go?

received_10156581967213902.jpeg

received_10156582157923902.jpeg

received_10156582184333902.jpeg

received_10156582184868902.jpeg

received_10156582205948902.jpeg

received_10156582233758902.jpeg

Has anyone tried a combat oriented Arknaught Company with skypikes?  The reason I ask is because I need to pick up and build a third one, but am concerned I won't be able to find two more skyhooks.  I'm not sold on the aethermatic.

1 hour ago, Karchev23 said:

Is it just me or is Urbaz the way to go?

The twice ability in khemists gives such a huge value.  95% of people play them for the ability and making it better is a no brainer.  As casual as I can be, it's still too much value to pass up

5 hours ago, BaronBanana said:

The twice ability in khemists gives such a huge value.  95% of people play them for the ability and making it better is a no brainer.  As casual as I can be, it's still too much value to pass up

Same here. Also see alot of people taking ziflin, but in my meta theres alot of khorne and tzeentch so dont really want to risk throwing an ironclad out in the open like that.

I am a fan of Barak Urbaz for the Khemist's ability to use his trait twice, the free artifact, and their special ability to let a unit within 3" of an enemy get a free pile-in or round of shooting in the Hero phase.  I cannot tell you how valuable that extra round of shooting has been when a unit of Arknaughts are in combat.  It has helped me take down characters with the light skyhooks and clear the enemy in combat  with the pistols.  Very useful.

4 hours ago, Karchev23 said:

Same here. Also see alot of people taking ziflin, but in my meta theres alot of khorne and tzeentch so dont really want to risk throwing an ironclad out in the open like that.

Dropping an ironclad seems like a not a great idea.  The way I understand how Zilfin's endrinwork works is that no matter how many battalions you have,  only one can have it, period.  Now, if you could drop multiple frigates or gunhaulers, it would be a petty interesting way to play.  A clown car play could work.  Take a frigate and it load it with riggers and wardens.  

I think the benefit of Ziflin is 2 fold, you have the both literal mobility of the boats always running on 6's, and that extra ship movement, which is great for objectives and extending threat ranges of something you kept in the boat.  And secondly I found in many of my games, at least with current missions, its difficult to speedly take the midfield objectives as most other armies push forward to fast and are a more potent CC threat.  Having the drop lets you come in, hit them hard, and retreat back over the objectives as you keep your ironclad between their troops and your guns.

Now Urbaz was my favorite from the moment I saw the book, but I think the potency really will depend on how the new GHandbook treats 'stacking buffs".  The once per game power is nice, (maybe not a nice a rerolling all those 1's), but I really agree with the feelings below:

12 hours ago, Karchev23 said:

...Had 2 khemists, so with Urbaz' khemist buff i was able to buff my thunderers and endrinriggers twice and they absolutely smashed face....

Speaking of which...  Been chugging away at painting up my Mhornar force.  As I played with some list ideas, I came up with something I think might be a bit of an innovation.

Obviously, one of the big draws (rules-wise) for Mhornar is the command trait- Opportunistic Privateers.  Unfortunately, it's typically going to be on a single model with, at best, 6 wounds, a 3+ save, and maybe the Protect the Boss rule in play.  And in order to confer the ability, dude's gotta be disembarked, right?

What about making the general the Ironclad (or maybe a frigate) instead of one of the heroes?  All of a sudden you gain-

- A bigger base to bubble out that command trait.

- Way more wounds (and the ability to be healed)

- A guarantee that your Opportunistic Privateers will always be in range of your biggest gun platform.

When I happened upon it, I was trying to build a boat heavy list and had something like:

-Ironclad (general w/Opportunistic Privateer) (Great Endrinwork: Magnificent Omniscope) [440 pts]

- Ironsky Squadron Battalion w/3 frigates (1 w/The Last Word), 3 arkanaut companies [1280 pts]

- Navigator (Aethersight Loupe) [100 pts]

- Endrinmaster (Autotinkerer) [140 pts]

Suboptimal because of the less efficient boats, but fun.  You could just about get most of the boats in the command trait bubble, and even add to the pain with the Ironclad's innate bonuses for extra range/re-roll vs. flyers/extra carbine shots.  With Mhornar's run & shoot, plus the navigator's extra speed boost, plus the Ironsky extra first turn shots, you can really get a super-duper alpha strike.

Probably more powerful is a more traditional option like:

- Ironclad (general w/Opportunistic Privateer) (Great Endrinwork: The Last Word) [440 pts]

- 3 arkanaut companies [3x120 pts]

- 2 Khemists (1 w/Earbuster) [2x100 pts]

- Admiral [140 pts]

- 12 Skywardens (Drill cannons, Aethermatic Volley Guns) [400 pts]

- 9 Endrinriggers (2 grapnels) [360 pts]

- 5 Thunderers w/rifles, or 3 more skywardens [100 pts]

Thinking of calling them variations of a "Mhornar flagship" list.  Any thoughts?

So I got impatient and proxied out my first 1,000 points while I slowly amass these pieces. If I was going to proxy out another 1,000 point force to counterbalance them while i practice what would be a good option for a list? Obviously something that I don't have to pay for a Battletome for is preferable since buying another book is a waste of money that could be spent on an actual minis for KO.

Here's to having some level of rules mastery before I can start playing for realsies.

My list in the making:

Urbaz + No Trading With Some People + Surrender is Rarely Profitable. I'll have to make my own if people are weird about the colors. 

"Langk-Strol"

● Admiral (General)

-Stickler for the Code

-Balebreath Mask

● Khemist

-Aethershock Earburster

● 2 × 10 Arkanauts

-3 Skyhook

-3 Volleyguns

● 1 × 10 Thunder's

- 10 Aethershot Rifles 

● 1 × 6 Skywardens 

- 1 Grapnel Launcher

- 1 Drill Cannon

● 1 × 3 Endrinriggers 

- 3 Aethermatic Saws

1000/1000

Just read the:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/31/balanced-diverse-fun-matched-play-in-the-generals-handbook-2017-july31gw-homepage-post-3/

So far no mention of a rule about 'abilities with the same name don't stack'.

I woulda' bet a dollar that that would have been a "Rule of One" if it was introduced.  What do you guys think, wonder if that is just an internet fan idea and not something GW feels is a problem at this time.

48 minutes ago, GlanceOnASix said:

Just read the:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/31/balanced-diverse-fun-matched-play-in-the-generals-handbook-2017-july31gw-homepage-post-3/

So far no mention of a rule about 'abilities with the same name don't stack'.

I woulda' bet a dollar that that would have been a "Rule of One" if it was introduced.  What do you guys think, wonder if that is just an internet fan idea and not something GW feels is a problem at this time.

I would have though that would be in there too.  I had heard a lot of talk about it and I've got a theory now that we could still see it in there under the "warscroll update" section that nobody is sure what is.  It's only a couple pages I think but if they want to maybe handle it on an ability by ability basis (only nurfing the ones that seems really overpowered when stacked) they could just have them listed on that like "Aether Kemist - Aetheric Augmentation - This ability no longer stacks with itself.  Skaven Packmaster - Herded Into The Fray - This ability no longer stacks with itself" etc. 

Personally, I'd much prefer a rule of "Any Ability/Spell with the same name does not stack unless specifically told otherwise" then you wouldn't have to worry about a page of exceptions (if that's what they even bother doing).

As well abilities like the frostheart pheonix, the morghast -Hit aura, or that silly chaos "Get another save" thing that nurgle lord provides.  Those are all much more abusive stacking affects anyway, and a single line like that would clean up anything they don't specially WANT to stack... who knows might still be in there somewhere.

7 minutes ago, GlanceOnASix said:

Personally, I'd much prefer a rule of "Any Ability/Spell with the same name does not stack unless specifically told otherwise" then you wouldn't have to worry about a page of exceptions (if that's what they even bother doing).

As well abilities like the frostheart pheonix, the morghast -Hit aura, or that silly chaos "Get another save" thing that nurgle lord provides.  Those are all much more abusive stacking affects anyway, and a single line like that would clean up anything they don't specially WANT to stack... who knows might still be in there somewhere.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:43 AM, Nico said:

It would be pretty astonishing if same buff stacking survives the GHB2017. 

Yeah, it might be, but it not being in there is starting to look a lot less astonishing...

Archived