Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

25 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

I plan to run minimal shooting. 2x 10 arkanauts, and probably 2x frigates as shock transports, charging right into the enemy/objective to drop bombs on them whilst firing at anything else in range. They'll sslo be carrying big blobs of endrinriggers or skywardens (probably riggers for those aether saws), boost the attack profile with a few khemists, watch them carve folk up (die in the process)

I have a revised 1k list which is

Aether Khemist x2*

Frigate

2x10 Arkanaut

2x3 Endrinriggers  

960 points

I might swap out an Khemist for an Admiral to march on foot with the other 10 Arkanauts (in which case I'd swap the 2x3 Endrinriggers to 1x6) but the plan would be to charge the Frigate in (loaded with 10 arkanauts, 1 khemist and 6 Endrinriggers) to whatever objective/weakpoint I could exploit, then discharge and get shooting/chopping.

It will probably fall apart like wet tissue paper, but I think it's sufficiently different from the proposed army lists that most people seem to be heading towards, I'd rather play a style I am interested in than just submit to shooting people with 40 mortars or w/e.

That'd net me 3 drops, and TBH I might just overload the Frigate with the admiral too to get a 2 drop. 

Intresting I'm holding of buying anything till I get the book Saturday so not long to wait 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not actually convinced any of the ships is better than their ranged ground troops + Khemist.. those weapons seem strong. Haven't seen any points yet so hard to say and of course the ships have quite a bit of synergy going for them.

I am with DynamicCalories, I think they have the potential to use just about as many dimensions as you are interested in buying. At 2K you could run: 3 Ironclads holding 3 Ark. Co. with 320 variable points, or 3 Ark. Co. with Baloon General and 2 riggers and 11 wardens, or 3 Ark. Co. with 7 gunhaulers and a khemist.

The first list would play very defensive, the second could be highly melee focused, and the third quite mobile and "snipe-y". These lists are obviously just maxing out certain units and I expect that if you want to play a "balanced" KO army it will come down to how well you can make each part do what you need it to. All of this is of course only using Overlords allegiance, because you could also play them in a mixed order army and do something like:

stick 20 Thunderers in an Ironclad with a khemist, bring sisters of the thorn and a lore master, then 2 cannons and a gunmaster, finally 15 Libs for battleline. Ironclad can do whatever it wants, rerolling saves to be crazy resillient, and rerolling all hits and wounds so the enemy cant just ignore it. The thunderers can be dropping 40 shots from 36" or 20+20d6 from 12". And in case that wasnt enough rend you have 2 cannons protected by all those liberators. 

Sorry super long post, but I just really feel they are as versatile as you are imaginative

4 minutes ago, Volund said:

I am with DynamicCalories, I think they have the potential to use just about as many dimensions as you are interested in buying. At 2K you could run: 3 Ironclads holding 3 Ark. Co. with 320 variable points, or 3 Ark. Co. with Baloon General and 2 riggers and 11 wardens, or 3 Ark. Co. with 7 gunhaulers and a khemist.

The first list would play very defensive, the second could be highly melee focused, and the third quite mobile and "snipe-y". These lists are obviously just maxing out certain units and I expect that if you want to play a "balanced" KO army it will come down to how well you can make each part do what you need it to. All of this is of course only using Overlords allegiance, because you could also play them in a mixed order army and do something like:

stick 20 Thunderers in an Ironclad with a khemist, bring sisters of the thorn and a lore master, then 2 cannons and a gunmaster, finally 15 Libs for battleline. Ironclad can do whatever it wants, rerolling saves to be crazy resillient, and rerolling all hits and wounds so the enemy cant just ignore it. The thunderers can be dropping 40 shots from 36". And in case that wasnt enough rend you have 2 cannons protected by all those liberators. 

Sorry super long post, but I just really feel they are as versatile as you are imaginative

I hope so as I love the models I've seen so far and this will be the first age of sigmar army I'm staring from scratch so it will just be pure overlords to start with 

I know I'm leaning heavily towards an Iron Sky Squadron build with Barkan-Mhornar as it just screams Kult of Speed to me (My first Warhammer army ever). Might not be bad (or great) and I'll probably evolve beyond that once I get a real feel for the army.

2 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

I plan to run minimal shooting. 2x 10 arkanauts, and probably 2x frigates as shock transports, charging right into the enemy/objective to drop bombs on them whilst firing at anything else in range. They'll sslo be carrying big blobs of endrinriggers or skywardens (probably riggers for those aether saws), boost the attack profile with a few khemists, watch them carve folk up (die in the process)

I have a revised 1k list which is

Aether Khemist x2*

Frigate

2x10 Arkanaut

2x3 Endrinriggers  

960 points

I might swap out an Khemist for an Admiral to march on foot with the other 10 Arkanauts (in which case I'd swap the 2x3 Endrinriggers to 1x6) but the plan would be to charge the Frigate in (loaded with 10 arkanauts, 1 khemist and 6 Endrinriggers) to whatever objective/weakpoint I could exploit, then discharge and get shooting/chopping.

It will probably fall apart like wet tissue paper, but I think it's sufficiently different from the proposed army lists that most people seem to be heading towards, I'd rather play a style I am interested in than just submit to shooting people with 40 mortars or w/e.

That'd net me 3 drops, and TBH I might just overload the Frigate with the admiral too to get a 2 drop. 

funny that is pretty much my list too! great minds think alike eh?

my idea is:

Admiral / Enginmaster as general

Khemist

x2 10 arkanaught companies, one skyhook one volley guns

1x6 endrinriggers or 10 thunderers

Frigate

Soooo pretty much the same idea, only with half the list in a frigate should I choose the endrinriggers. Chosing mhorarn for the command trait and extra speed would help out with destroying a unit a turn I feel. I think that boosting the edrin's drill cannons when out of range and then boosting the saws within charge range to help dish out some real damage.  keep in mind if you can do it right you could get the arkanaught company, the riggers, the chemist and the ship within 3" to help kill one unit.

7 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

You're thinking 2x Drillcannons for the Endrinriggers? I would love grapnel too but I don't want to lose too many aethermatic saws and the grapnel seems to have no attack profile which hobbles it somewhat.

yea, only two. Those things are nasty as hell when shot, and it helps combine perfectly with the re-rolling to hit buff. a base 3 damage at -3 rend with a chance to do mortal wounds would be too good to pass up. even unbuffed it's still a potential 6 damage on a unit, softening it up and potentially adding more to the battle shock before you charge in.  you could also buff the saw's to two attacks each with the khemist instead of the drills, which would also be devastating.

those balloon boys are quickly becoming one of my favorite units! 

Yep! I really like them. The Skywardens aren't too bad for the slight point discount too, less killy, but if boosted by a Khemist they can get of 3 d3 damage attacks which is kind of neat for their cost. Their ability to retreat and leave mines is excellent too, encouraging hit and run tactics.

2 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

Yep! I really like them. The Skywardens aren't too bad for the slight point discount too, less killy, but if boosted by a Khemist they can get of 3 d3 damage attacks which is kind of neat for their cost. Their ability to retreat and leave mines is excellent too, encouraging hit and run tactics.

Yea, those guys are good too, but I just like the way I could heal ships with the riggers, so I feel it's worth the extra 20 points. The only reason I don't split them up is because I want the khemist to be able to buff a full unit :D

That as ever is the rub: Split them for more heals? Consolidate for more buffs?

I am almost thinking it's better to split for the heal, plus you are creating more targets for your opponent as well. Plus, versatility in going after different objectives.

Now if only that Grappling Hook had a shooting profile/didn't take away the Saw...still might be worth it.

Yeah I feel it should kinda work like a standard/instrument or another weapon, it seems a bit rich taking away all attacking potential but it is only really valuable in larger games thanks to board size, so I think it's probably a worthy sacrifice in big units. Imagine the look on the face of your opponents when 12 Endrinriggers latch onto a Behemoth and zip halfway across the board to start cutting it to shreds.

I'm already strongly considering making an eventual heavy Balloon Boy army. Take an Ironclad and maybe a Frigate and put all your Arkanaut Company inside. Attach all Endrinriggers to the Ironclad as well as your General. Take Fleetmaster, so after you deploy but before the game begins you can redeploy most of your army in one move, nice way to bait and switch.

28 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm already strongly considering making an eventual heavy Balloon Boy army. Take an Ironclad and maybe a Frigate and put all your Arkanaut Company inside. Attach all Endrinriggers to the Ironclad as well as your General. Take Fleetmaster, so after you deploy but before the game begins you can redeploy most of your army in one move, nice way to bait and switch.

So: 

Ironclad - 440

Frigate - 280

3xArkanaut Company - 360

Brokk Grungsson - 300

1x4 Endrinriggers - 480

1x1 Endrinriggers - 120

Cause that sounds awesome to me! There are so many amazing options. It kills me to only get one of everything until I can really read the book! (Helps  though that GW is out of everything atm ;))

52 minutes ago, Volund said:

So: 

Ironclad - 440

Frigate - 280

3xArkanaut Company - 360

Brokk Grungsson - 300

1x4 Endrinriggers - 480

1x1 Endrinriggers - 120

Cause that sounds awesome to me! There are so many amazing options. It kills me to only get one of everything until I can really read the book! (Helps  though that GW is out of everything atm ;))

While you would lose Fleetmaster by taking Brokk, this is a good looking idea especially with his Command Ability and the fact he can keep up...potentially removing the need for a Grappling Hook! He's also no slouch in a fight or a shoot out. His Command Ability is potentially good though it may be better to use Inspiring Presence sometimes. You lose out on shooting if you use First Rule of Grungsson

12 minutes ago, Dez said:

While you would lose Fleetmaster by taking Brokk, this is a good looking idea especially with his Command Ability and the fact he can keep up...potentially removing the need for a Grappling Hook! He's also no slouch in a fight or a shoot out.

True, if you wanted to keep fleetmaster, you could switch brokk for a khemist, and switch the riggers by themselves to wardens, then add a gunhauler with the extra points :)

edit: i am bad at math, dont switch the riggers for wardens and just add the gunhauler. Because the last list i put up was 1980! Whoops!

5 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

I hope so as I love the models I've seen so far and this will be the first age of sigmar army I'm staring from scratch so it will just be pure overlords to start with 

Same here I already have a theme planned. Extra bits ready. Hopefully half of my stuff will be here Saturday.

I think I gotta go in as early as possible to my GW to pick up the frigate and companies I want, so I have to set my alarm clock early for it... good thing I have an admiral on preorder already!

my mind was thinking about a list looking at 2,000 points now, I think I may have a good one:

Iron sky battalion

x2 Frigates with cannons

x3 arkanaught companies, two w/ hooks and one with volley guns

-

Admiral / Endrinmaster w/ opportunist trait

Khemist

x10 thunderers

x1 endrinrigger squad w/ no upgrades, only saws (may add drill cannon, i dunno)

total: 2000 points

basically like my 1,000 point list only now everyone has a ride and there is quite a bit more firepower with the thunderers and batallions added in, with the iron clad being used to buff the other ships. not any ccw to speak of really, but there is a lot of guns to throw around!

55 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I think I gotta go in as early as possible to my GW to pick up the frigate and companies I want, so I have to set my alarm clock early for it... good thing I have an admiral on preorder already!

my mind was thinking about a list looking at 2,000 points now, I think I may have a good one:

Iron sky battalion

x2 Frigates with cannons

x3 arkanaught companies, two w/ hooks and one with volley guns

-

Admiral / Endrinmaster w/ opportunist trait

Khemist

x10 thunderers

x1 endrinrigger squad w/ no upgrades, only saws (may add drill cannon, i dunno)

total: 2000 points

basically like my 1,000 point list only now everyone has a ride and there is quite a bit more firepower with the thunderers and batallions added in, with the iron clad being used to buff the other ships. not any ccw to speak of really, but there is a lot of guns to throw around!

Just out of interest, given that you only get one of each special weapon in a box, how are you doing your multiple hooks/volley guns? Bits companies will sell out fast. For me personally it is prohibitively expensive to buy additional boxes just for one bit! I've seen some people bootlegging stormfriend warpfire projectors using green stuff molds.

Archived