Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I just want to know which ship is most efficient for it's points so I can try it in a Sylvaneth list :D Not going to start a whole new army.

If you are looking to use it with your Tree's, the small one at 220 has a cannon or a really rad drill gun (4/2/-2/d6, or 4/3/-3/3 respectively) that is the best gun per point (since the sylvaenth cant get in the transport ones anyway)

But he has to look at it by iteslf if he is taking it with a Sylvaneth list. He will not have access to any special synergies. Since there wouldnt be any KO help, I would think that for 60pts more the Frigate is better (if you can fit it) due to the 4 extra wounds, self healing, and ability to reroll 1s at the expense of some movement). Also, if it is with sylvaneth, I assume it will live in the trees, and be a sort of blocking/distraction unit, so the bigger ship would serve that function better

That's a good point, but I guess what I'm saying is you don't HAVE to look at it in a vacuum. Sylvaneth (as far as I know) don't break any allegiance abilities by adding other ORDER items. Since KO is being splashed into what may be a mostly Sylvaneth list, that means a Hurricanum and Kurnoth Hunters would synergize very nicely. You have casters, which can give a Frigate Mystic Shield as well as being able to place Sylvaneth Wyldwoods to add +2 to the save making a Frigate a 3+ armor save. Take a Khemyst and now you have 2 Heavy Skycannon shots hitting on a 3+ wounding on 2+ Rend -2 and doing d6 wounds each. I'm not taking into account any other benefits to the army as a whole. That's just off the top of my head on how you could slightly rearrange a list for synergies. 

That's what I mean about not looking at it in a vacuum. 

Oh, I was assuming he meant in the context of whatever the Sylvaneth formation is that allows taking duardin without breaking sylvaneth allegiance (i dont know any sylvaneth stuff so my bad if it wouldnt work for KO). All the buffs mentioned also apply to the Frigate, and even completely buffed I dont expect either ship would be the most efficient damage available for 220 or 280 points. So if you are looking for damage you honestly probably want to look elsewhere altogether (like G. Thunderers instead of ships for example), but if you are looking for defense or Rule of Cool, I personally think the frigate does more (and it can hold arkanauts so you will slowly and surely be tempted one unit at a time and suddenly find you actually do have a KO army! Muahahaha!)

Also as a side note, khemist cant buff ships cause they are "Skyvessel" vs "Skyfarer" :( 

edit: you really do have a good point though about remembering things in the context of regular order allegiance. Like the elf mage guy who has "hand of glory" granting a single model rerolls of hits and wounds. So like a single Ironclad model O.o

I was actaully thinking about the wargrove and keeping sylvaneth allegiance. However for the points that are mentioned and their effects  I don't see them adding enough to my army to validate it really. And needing a hurricanum and another hero to boost an already 220 point model to just give 2 shots.. well that isn't all that appealing either :D. I guess none of the KO are called wizards?

55 minutes ago, Dez said:

Ahh that's right. May as well bring a Frigate, Thunderers with Mortars and a Khemyst :)

Iron bark can do up to 2 Duardin units.  I suspect the best combo would be 10-20 Thunderers + Khemist or 6-9 Endrinriggers/Wardens (with a grapnel) for ninja contesting/taking objectives.  That said, there are probably better investments within Sylvaneth itself.

5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I was actaully thinking about the wargrove and keeping sylvaneth allegiance. However for the points that are mentioned and their effects  I don't see them adding enough to my army to validate it really. And needing a hurricanum and another hero to boost an already 220 point model to just give 2 shots.. well that isn't all that appealing either :D. I guess none of the KO are called wizards?

Nope.

Barak-mhornar seems so awesome to me! Real dwarven pilots if I say so myself. I can't wait to see the remainder of the paint schemes. That said. How would you guys start out? Basic Iron Sky Battalion? Seems solid to fill out core choice with frigates with added bonus.

8 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Iron bark can do up to 2 Duardin units.

I have only seen the Frigate rules, but I thought they could only carry SKYFARER units? Could you explain how/or which flying piece of metal (yet still floating) awesomeness could help my short legged dwarfs :D 

49 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I have only seen the Frigate rules, but I thought they could only carry SKYFARER units? Could you explain how/or which flying piece of metal (yet still floating) awesomeness could help my short legged dwarfs :D 

Sad to say, but this is a reference to the Iron Bark wargrove battalion from the Sylvaneth book. It allow for up to two units with the Duardin keyword to be taken & still maintain the Sylvaneth allegiance. 

It would be great if there was a way to get either Dispossessed or Fyreslayer Duardin in one of the ships. Maybe in a future waracroll battalion?

Just now, Trebuchenanigans said:

Sad to say, but this is a reference to the Iron Bark wargrove battalion from the Sylvaneth book. It allow for up to two units with the Duardin keyword to be taken & still maintain the Sylvaneth allegiance. 

It would be great if there was a way to get either Dispossessed or Fyreslayer Duardin in one of the ships. Maybe in a future waracroll battalion?

Dang! You Gots my hopes up :( 

Sorry to be that guy. To be fair, you could probably house-rule it for narrative games/dependant on your meta. I wouldn't have an issue with it if you had some cool fluff to explain it. Likewise, if you just want to use the models then the drake guard would make a cool counts-as Thunderers unit with either the mortar or aether cannon weapons.

To be fair if you just get  a battalion where you can field other duardin without loosing alliagance you should be glad. Those Duardin have plenty of tunnel options anyway so shouldn't be in the ship.. however combining armies and have access to allegiance abilities would be nice (with any army.. but especially with other duardin).

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

Which Duardin do you want to help?  I was responding to the Sylvaneth player who wanted to run Duardin in Ironbark (of which allows 2 Duardin units).  The synergies I was referring for them were either a heavy long ranged unit with a hero (khemist) that can double their 36" attacks or a unit that can fly 12" and zipline in the ranged attack phase for another 24" of free movement to an objective (and/or charge as well).  Both could be useful in other forces.  

That said, for the ironbark, you'd probably get more bang for your buck by grabbing 30 Vulkites and a Runesmiter for a deep striking unit that rerolls a charge dice and spits ~5 mortal wounds on the charge, has a 4+/4++ against attacks once their stuck in (at least for the first 10 wounds), and has 2 attacks per model that reroll wounds with -1 rend.  All of this for the bargain basement price of 440.  Oh, and it fulfills one of your battleline requirements.   

6 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

I'm hoping they won't be as one dimensional as they seem ie lots of shooting not much else 

I plan to run minimal shooting. 2x 10 arkanauts, and probably 2x frigates as shock transports, charging right into the enemy/objective to drop bombs on them whilst firing at anything else in range. They'll sslo be carrying big blobs of endrinriggers or skywardens (probably riggers for those aether saws), boost the attack profile with a few khemists, watch them carve folk up (die in the process)

I have a revised 1k list which is

Aether Khemist x2*

Frigate

2x10 Arkanaut

2x3 Endrinriggers  

960 points

I might swap out an Khemist for an Admiral to march on foot with the other 10 Arkanauts (in which case I'd swap the 2x3 Endrinriggers to 1x6) but the plan would be to charge the Frigate in (loaded with 10 arkanauts, 1 khemist and 6 Endrinriggers) to whatever objective/weakpoint I could exploit, then discharge and get shooting/chopping.

It will probably fall apart like wet tissue paper, but I think it's sufficiently different from the proposed army lists that most people seem to be heading towards, I'd rather play a style I am interested in than just submit to shooting people with 40 mortars or w/e.

That'd net me 3 drops, and TBH I might just overload the Frigate with the admiral too to get a 2 drop. 

Archived