Stormcast Stardrake is it worth the cost

Burns

Hi there i'm new the this forum, i'v seen the Stormcast Stardrake on the table and tbh i wasn't that impressed. I was expecting a killing machine like Archaon or the new maw-krusha but it didn't seem to do much. But hey i'd like to hear from you guys and your experiences using/against this model, the model does looks amazing

I was expecting a killing machine like Archaon

Archaon (aka Captain rend -1) isn't a killing machine - he's a tank and a command ability multiplier. He does less damage in Combat than Mannfred or Nagash or even Prince Imrik on the Charge. 

He's only a killing machine if you can buff his Slayer of Kings up a lot (hello Plague Priests) or if you can take another 5 heroes with Command abilities and buff him with them (e.g. where heroes can capture).

You're right that the sheer melee damage output of the Stardrake isn't amazing either. It's somewhat worse than Archaon's (including 4.5 mortal wounds from the Jaws and Tail - which assumes that he's attacking regular units rather than heroes). However, the Drake has a better save than Archaon and has a mini-Comets Call ability (infinite range, no line of sight), which is great. 

I have used the Stardrake with Celestant in around 10 games now (including 6 at SCGT). Whilst overall I found the army to be very powerful, the Stardrake didn't do what I initially expected. As noted it's combat punch isn't overly destructive. The things it's special abilities such as the cavernous jaws and sweeping tail are super great against (basic infantry) are things you either don't see much of, or easily dealt with anyway. The potential of the cavernous jaws is amusing (I scored 3 Blightkings in one combat round!), but its a bonus more than anything reliable, which is kinda the overall problem.

I also found it went down rather easily, even with the large number of wounds, decent save and sweet shield. People tend to want to focus on the big guy and it was squishier than I thought.

After I'd read its rules and saw its SCGT pool cost I admit I felt it was underpointed, but after playing it I would say its fine. I'm not going to suggest its overcosted as the army as a whole feels "right".

All this said, there is one absolutely fantastic ability we cannot forget; Rain of Stars. This of course random, but can be truly game winning. I think once you realise that he's more of a defensive piece, his survivability goes up, which is important as the longer he remains on the board, the better Rain of Stars is.

Also - he is a massive dragon. This, for me at least, is enough to ensure he'll always be on the table when I play SCE.

So in summary, I'd say he's worth it and fun. Stick at it and I think you'll enjoy him!

Good luck x

Yeah, there's something to be said for having that big target in the army. I played against a Wrath of Khorne thirster with a very shooty stormcast list and I spent so much shooting to take that thing down that when the rest of the army arrived I lost all but 8 models. If not for the Lord Castellant being a tanky badass, I would have lost everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys, i'v seen it in a few more games now and i completely agree its 'Rain of stars' is what i'd use the model for and combating and enemy's weaker units, leave enemy dragons and monsters for the Retributers.

That said tho in an extremis chamber army its command ability is not to be underestimated considering it has unlimited range.

Archived