Basing questions and help please

Ratamaplata

20 years ago I just used to paint the base green then flock it and that was the norm really. I see things have now changed greatly. 

So a few questions...

- can you recommend a good YouTube tutorial on the subject including attaching the mini

- how do you go about it? Make the base and mini separately then attach? Both together from the start? Something else?

- is it ok to paint the mini and base then carefully superglue them together? Will the glue mess stuff up?

Any other tips and advice will be appreciated :)

Ok soi not got any youtubes, but I have seen people both paint the miniature on base then do the basing, and make both separately then attach. Personally I do the former most often, though if it isn't attached too hard I will remove the miniature when it comes to basing.

It kind of depends on what you are doing.  With sand or texture paint you can glue the mini to the base, then add the basing material after you paint the mini.  When using cork, slate, bark, resin bases, etc., paint them separate and pin your mini to the base.  Just use a pin vise to drill a hole in each foot, superglue the pin (I use paper clips), match the pins to the base to drill the holes there, and then superglue the model.

There are tons of basing videos on YouTube.  Sorastro painting has easy to follow guides in his painting Imperial Assault series.  Just search for pinning a model to a base.

Good luck

Pretty much everything I've painted has been attached to the base before being undercoated.  If I'm using sand, I'll glue the model on, apply sand (sealing with a watery coat of PVA) and then undercoat.  As @Redking says, superglue and a small pin is the best way if you're doing a more scenic base where the model is glued on once painted - a pillar drill stand helps to drill the base hole too.

Archived