Lets chat: Beastclaw Raiders

Karchev23

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. I wasn't asking for rules though, but how often people get them etc. People who do playtesting can always dance around the NDR, but still talk about what they think a faction will look like, specially considering they probablly played the 2.0 for half a year or more. It would help with the wait too, lets say if the update in general handbook 2018 doesn't fix them, it would be better to know it now, then in 6 months. The rules themself are less important in such a situation.

BCR article is up!

Most importantly:

Firstly, the GREAT news. The Beastclaw Raiders have seen some considerable points reductions across the board. All Thundertusk and Stonehorn units now cost a decent chunk less, allowing you to fit more into your army lists, while several warscroll battalions have likewise been discounted, making grabbing command points (not to mention all manner of handy bonuses) even easier.

Just now, Dragobeth said:

Whoops, you got there just before me!

So I just read through the article on the Community Site. I've been away from Beastclaw for quite a while now, and am pinning my hopes on the new edition making them worth fielding again in competitive play. I LOVE my Beastclaw and want to field them again!

The first part of the article - Meh! Anyone who has played Beastclaw for 3 games or more could have written that.

But the bit we are interested in is what's happening in AoS2. The key points I can see are:
1. All Thundertusk and Stonehorn units now cost  less, AND several warscroll battalions have likewise been discounted
2. Firebelly can be taken - so changes in allies, and better access to magic
3. Access to Realm specific artefacts (though whether these will be available in matched play remains to be seen)
4. Thundertusk shooting gets neatly around the new Look out Sir rule.

So a few teasers, but nothing to get too excited about - unless the points drop is truly substantial. Personally I would prefer to keep cost of monsters high, but make them better. A points drop is fine, so long as we can take more than 4 monsters. I'm still very excited for Beastclaws and am keeping my fingers crossed that AoS2 will put them back into being a mid-table army

They've done nothing really BUT depending on scenarios and points reductions it may be fine.

Realistically they can't give the factions that need serious reworks the work they need as part of a massive overhaul of all systems.

I guess we'll see how everything pans out but I'm not expecting to switch my project to BCR just at the moment (maybe I'll actually give them a few games though!)

I still feel that we will probably see some of the older battletomes rewritten as time goes on - and probably inserted into the release schedule as small releases.  Even if they add models, most likely it would only be a few kits for some of these forces.  Beastclaw Raiders feels like one of those forces, along with Ironjawz, that could use a book rewrite and a micro-release of a few models - even if it was just plastic Yeti double kit.

I think the best we will probably see prior to whenever that book release happens will be small adjustments to the points and allegiance abilities in the General's Handbook.  But, those changes could be enough to swing Beastclaw Raiders back into being a potent force on the table.  Never underestimate the effect of a cost discount!

59 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

2. Firebelly can be taken - so changes in allies, and better access to magic

Wait I've been taking a Firebelly this whole time.  Have I been doing it wrong? 

Excited about those changes though.  If I end up being able to fit a Huskard on Thundertusk in with my Beast-Hammer (and surely Beasthammer has plenty of room to go down in points too), I'll feel pretty good about my BCR army.  Of course, reducing the costs of those models does have a bit of a risk of making them overpowered again in a non-BCR/vanilla destruction/Rukk type list.  It's kind of a thing where we need a better deal on them for the in-faction army to compensate for what we don't have, but on the other hand if you give a better deal on models because their allegiance is handicapped, then those models end up in vanilla lists or as allies and they start to look overpowered in that context, as they're not hobbled by the poor allegiance. 

So the fixs to them is points drop and being made to take ally. I guess it could be worse, but till we see the actual points drops it is hard to tell. I kind of a expected them to do more changes, what was stoping them from giving a huskarl the option to be a wizard for Xpts? No model upgrade dead, and they could do the change through an errata. Bigger changes were made in the past.

I wonder how big the points drops are going to be, they would be something substential, because getting two "free" fangs comparing to old lists won't make the army better in the face of summoning mechanics.

I had a 1% hope some sort of reinforcment, call yeti is going to be added, looks like it wasn't, would have been cool.

All in all I don't think the changes are going to be very impactful, unless stones and tusk got a 33% points drop.

Also, while it doesn't matter much to me, I wonder how beastclaw narrative players going to feel. But who knows I don't know a thing about narrative play.

The write up seemed strange though. A lot of the others has some forshadowing of a new mechanics, or some cool change or new rule being added. All there was in the one we got was talk about how buying 3 starter sets is going to make everything good. Considering most beastclaw players probablly already did that, what 'cool' stuff are they to expect in 2.0?

49 minutes ago, Naflem said:

LOL. You are quite right. I think that because a Butcher is also 140 points, I blotted the Firebelly out of the Beastclaw allies - my mistake!

This Beastclaw article is just a snippet of the new rules. I think we should all remain positive  - with luck we will have a viable army again. It will not be the same as it was before, but then neither will any other Battletomes army. So long as we can put a couple of interesting, viable lists together we will be Golden.

Just need GW to get on and release the flippin' books!

1 hour ago, Naflem said:

21 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

LOL. You are quite right. I think that because a Butcher is also 140 points, I blotted the Firebelly out of the Beastclaw allies - my mistake!

Hah, so I have been doing it wrong, but just not because the firebellies aren't allies ? 

@Soup Dragon pretty much echoes my thoughts on the reveal. 

Point reductions, suggest an ally that sucks, talk about realm artefacts that everyone gets, double down on stone skeleton remaining terrible. It's the absolute minimum they could have done, really.

With how much stronger all the other armies seem to be getting, and with us already starting off at the bottom, the point cost reductions would have to actually be insane to compensate. Which makes me concerned that the best world is ending up where we started in '16, where people take bcr behemoths in their other armies because our allegiance and unit choices are more something to find a way to get rid of rather than want.

Fine print and further details are still to come, of course, let's not doom and gloom yet. There could still be a GHB17-esque allegiance rewrite ala seraphon/fyreslayers/etc or warscroll tweaks - but if the purpose of the focus was to get BCR players excited, wouldn't they have mentioned those things?

It does not help that the Firebelly's personal spell is fairly meh.  It is better than the personal spell of the Fungus Shaman, but otherwise feels pretty similar.  It is a very close range spell that requires the caster to be up close.  The Firebelly is much better at that than the Fungus Shaman, but I think he could still use a more universally useful spell.

It seems to me that it would be pretty cool if they would errata the Fire-Cloak spell so that it can be cast on any friendly Ogor model.  Then you could cast it on one of your beasts or combat characters before they charge into combat.  As it currently stands the Butcher just has so much more utility.

Wait, so the firebelly is not being added as a mounted option to BCR? I guess my english reading skill strikes again. This was the only thing I was happy about, in the whole write up ? . Man each time I try to be happy about anything I get wacked on the head, each and every time.

Did any other faction write up had ally being taken writen up in the "how to play" part of the article? I haven't read all of them.

1 minute ago, blueshirtman said:

Wait, so the firebelly is not being added as a mounted option to BCR? I guess my english reading skill strikes again. This was the only thing I was happy about, in the whole write up ? . Man each time I try to be happy about anything I get wacked on the head, each and every time.

Did any other faction write up had ally being taken writen up in the "how to play" part of the article? I haven't read all of them.

Kharadon Overlord article had a suggestion that if you wanted to use magic get a SC wizard as an ally.

Archived