Lets chat: Beastclaw Raiders

Karchev23

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Great to read this- I'll be starting my force in the coming months and shattering charges is not something my nurgle force does! Rotigus/Great Unclean Ones are very hard to get rid of, so understandable you couldn't remove him.

Your kitbash is amazing and looks much nicer than the yhetee models from GW! How did you do them?

I came close to killing Rotigus, i shall get him next time >.>

Its just the crypt horror body and arms, with the vargheist backs. The heads are from the skull kit (not sure what skulls they are, but there are three in the kit), and the jaws are from the bonesplitterz bone jaws. Not sure if i like it. Can't decide if i like it, not sure if the head looks too big xD

Hello, let's chat..
I'm going to have a tournament about 2 months left. I've practiced with several army list. Now I guess this army list would be great for the tournament, there will be 5 of 6 scenarios from GHB17 (there will be Battle for the Pass & Total Conquest which it's a major problem for BCR players). Take a look and please send some feedbacks! My army seems great for all-round strength.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Frostlord on Thundertusk (general) - Command Traits: Bellowing Tyrant, Magical Artefacts: Hammerblade
Huskard on Thundertusk

9 Icefall Yhetees (battleline)
6 Icefall Yhetees (battleline)
20 Grots (allies)
20 Grots (allies)

Stonehorn Beaststrider (battleline)  or maybe Thundertusk instead?

2000/2000 points.

Summary:
Got well shooting, great mobility, good offensive esp Stonehorn and Yhetees and also Frostlord on Thundertusk with his spear and hammerblade, good defensive in combat phase with -1 hit for enemy, and Stonehorn's stone skeleton halve damaged... and the Grots for some objectives or defend for the thundertusks if needed!

Icefall Yhetees' bravery?
No problem! As you can see I've chosen Destruction's traits Bellowing Tyrant, one of Yetis units will use Frostlord's bravery and another Yetis will get Inspiring Presence. Does it sound good, doesn't it?

Fredrik

I'm not a fan of beastriders the cost to much for what they do, upgrade them to huskard or FL or drop them would always be my feeling. Your Yhetees will die fast and the grots faster. Grots are ok to grab an objective and can be meat shields but don't last long for either and lack speed to shield sometimes. I like Yhetees they have a good place in the army but you have to many, they do not last. With the new death book and hoard armies gaining use stonehorns are vulnerable to units that have 1 damage weapons, be careful of this as they no longer halve that damage. You really need mournfangs in this list. They are are best unit we have and should always be included in any list to some extent. If your going to play destruction traits, play mixed destruction and you will have a world more options to you. BCR are a very limited army and difficult to do well with at this time. Why take on BCR limitations and then not play their rules?  

22 minutes ago, inq_enzo said:

I'm not a fan of beastriders the cost to much for what they do, upgrade them to huskard or FL or drop them would always be my feeling. Your Yhetees will die fast and the grots faster. Grots are ok to grab an objective and can be meat shields but don't last long for either and lack speed to shield sometimes. I like Yhetees they have a good place in the army but you have to many, they do not last. With the new death book and hoard armies gaining use stonehorns are vulnerable to units that have 1 damage weapons, be careful of this as they no longer halve that damage. You really need mournfangs in this list. They are are best unit we have and should always be included in any list to some extent. If your going to play destruction traits, play mixed destruction and you will have a world more options to you. BCR are a very limited army and difficult to do well with at this time. Why take on BCR limitations and then not play their rules?  

Thanks for your feedback, interesting.
I can take 4 mournfang cavalry instead of Beaststriders or 2 mournfang and add 3 yhetees to the unit but the different between them is the battleshock and the movement.
What I know is that you can use BCR allegiance but use Destruction's abilities, GHB17 page 116. The reason to take the abilities is the Hammerblade which can replace Punches and Kicks, charging into the horde unit and the another reason is the Bellowing Tyrant who gives bravery 9 to an unit within 6". Everwinter's Master doesn't do so much I think.
Personally I don't want to run Mixed destruction for some reason, Most I want is to play BCR or possible Gutbusters, Orruks and others isn't my huge fan of races.

My lastest tournament I've come at 3th place as Mixed Destruction (mixed Gutbusters and BCR), now I'm looking forward to use "clean army" and learning practice to use it.

Would really like beastriders to lose behemoth keyword again though- this is really BCR thing. Not be comoetitive i know but the stonehorn/thundertusk kit is so ace i have always dreamed of an army with just them- have played open play like this though once, with a huskard on thundertusk, beastriders on stonehorn and beastriders on thundertusk with some frost sabres added as the huskards 'hunting dogs.' against a friends shooty SCE it did pretty well, his judicators were so focused on reducing the thundertusks shooting ability he let the stonehorn charge and muller a unit of 10. Huskard managed to self heal and froze a unit of prosecutors in one go as well :) 

What I know is that you can use BCR allegiance but use Destruction's abilities, GHB17 page 116. The reason to take the abilities is the Hammerblade which can replace Punches and Kicks, charging into the horde unit and the another reason is the Bellowing Tyrant who gives bravery 9 to an unit within 6". Everwinter's Master doesn't do so much I think.

Yes you can do that I just don't see why you would want to. But if you do Hammerblade gives you more chances to cause mortal wounds with your FL but he is riding a mortal wound cannon. If I were going to do this I would take the talismant "i forget what its called" but it will give your FL a 5+ save mortal wounds. Thundertusk are not all that good in combat they are ment to hang back and shoot, with FL on it it will hold its own though. 

Mournfang and yhetees have the same movement 9" and bravery 6 but mournfang have 6 wounds yhetees only 4. If you loose 2 mournfangs worth of wounds you loose 3 Yhetee its the whole base unit both ways, but 4+ save ver 6+ save. any rend and yhetees are gone

2 minutes ago, Tailessine said:

Would really like beastriders to lose behemoth keyword again though- this is really BCR thing. Not be comoetitive i know but the stonehorn/thundertusk kit is so ace i have always dreamed of an army with just them- have played open play like this though once, with a huskard on thundertusk, beastriders on stonehorn and beastriders on thundertusk with some frost sabres added as the huskards 'hunting dogs.' against a friends shooty SCE it did pretty well, his judicators were so focused on reducing the thundertusks shooting ability he let the stonehorn charge and muller a unit of 10. Huskard managed to self heal and froze a unit of prosecutors in one go as well :) 

I've found some who really love BCR. I've always wanted that too but when it's about objectives with at least 20 models.. ****** that! I'll need to hire Grots :( they will be next meal.

5 minutes ago, inq_enzo said:

Yes you can do that I just don't see why you would want to. But if you do Hammerblade gives you more chances to cause mortal wounds with your FL but he is riding a mortal wound cannon. If I were going to do this I would take the talismant "i forget what its called" but it will give your FL a 5+ save mortal wounds. Thundertusk are not all that good in combat they are ment to hang back and shoot, with FL on it it will hold its own though. 

Mournfang and yhetees have the same movement 9" and bravery 6 but mournfang have 6 wounds yhetees only 4. If you loose 2 mournfangs worth of wounds you loose 3 Yhetee its the whole base unit both ways, but 4+ save ver 6+ save. any rend and yhetees are gone

Battered Talisman ;) Yeah you got a point. The different between Mournfang and Yhetees is that Yhetees can run and charge if there is within 16" of Thundertusk and can also pile in and attack 6" instead of 3" which is why I like them, with more right tactic to use will increase chance to win the match. And they also are cheaper than mournfang.

Rend against Yhetees will die easily.. esp in shooting but in combat they are worth with their ability -1 hit.

Changed..
Now this maybe sounds better?

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Frostlord on Thundertusk (general) - Command Traits: Bellowing Tyrant, Magical Artefacts: Hammerblade
Huskard on Thundertusk
Huskard on Thundertusk

3 Icefall Yhetees (battleline)
20 Grots (allies)
1 Gorger (allies)

1980/2000 points.

Maybe I should have taken Mournfang instead of Yhetees but I've made my decision, I believe that Yhetees can do more than Mournfang, in my experience in those scenarios.
Additional, that's what I want my army theme shall be. It will be called "Torr's Frost Aura" . 

Some of Yhetees units can first attack, and hopefully next turn, retreat and pile in behind of the enemy's block unit and destroy his weak points, the other issue to solve is that if the enemy like seraphon, teleports. Yhetees can often run and catch them, they can retreat if it needs and still pile in. Bonus move by Rampaging Destroyers if got some luckies ;) 

Love needs, sometimes..

On 2/26/2018 at 1:35 PM, inq_enzo said:

Yes it does not feel rite for BCR. maybe it should be part of are warscroll battalions as they cost to much and require the beastriders. 

I think GW said on Facebook once that they loose behemoth when they gain battleline.  I had a screen cap of that at one point, I’ll see if I can find it again. 

3 hours ago, Naflem said:

I think GW said on Facebook once that they loose behemoth when they gain battleline.  I had a screen cap of that at one point, I’ll see if I can find it again. 

That's where I thought I saw it! Couldn't find it in any FAQ/Errata though. 

So looking at the original general's handbook to which that community facebook post refers, on page 137, it does not say nor seem to imply that they lose the Behemoth keyword, only that they gain Battleline. Perhaps they intended them to lose behemoth or the intern in charge of the facebook account thought they did, but that's not how I read it.

Regardless, in GHB17 they don't lose behemoth so I guess it's moot.

Furthermore in current AoS matched play, the rule of thumb is, for a variety of reasons, the more elite your army is the worse it is, and being able to squeeze one more behemoth into a list isn't exactly a good thing.

48 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

So looking at the original general's handbook to which that community facebook post refers, on page 137, it does not say nor seem to imply that they lose the Behemoth keyword, only that they gain Battleline. Perhaps they intended them to lose behemoth or the intern in charge of the facebook account thought they did, but that's not how I read it.

Regardless, in GHB17 they don't lose behemoth so I guess it's moot.

Furthermore in current AoS matched play, the rule of thumb is, for a variety of reasons, the more elite your army is the worse it is, and being able to squeeze one more behemoth into a list isn't exactly a good thing.

But if I'm building a list for fun, for open/narrative play, having 4 huge models is cool!

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/age_of_sigmar_malign_portents_en.pdf

I was just re reading the FAQ for the Fungoid Cave-Shaman. This implies that he can be an ally in a BCR lists correct? It's not the Moonclan Keyword that you are allying with but the Harbingers Keyword that can ally with any destro list. 

If I read that right this guy is a significant improvement for mystic shield over the butcher.

If I read that right you could run this. Still terribly overcosted imo but at least a list.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders

Leaders
Frostlord on Thundertusk (460)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 
- Artefact: Blade of All Frost 
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers
- Beastclaw Raiders Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers

Units
20 x Grots (100)
20 x Grots (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 117

Yes Fungoid Cave-Shaman can be played in a BCR list. I was thinking about this myself.  Almost 1/2 the cost of the Butcher, but will not live as long I think. I still may get one and try him out.  The extra points would allow for 2 Gorgers at 1000 points,  at 2000 points you could get a full unit of 60 grots and still have a wizard.  It definitely opens options anyway.  He can also be run as the General but I see no way that it would be good for BCR. You would loose everwinter to start with  and out side of being a cheap mage he brings no benefit to BCR

I've been working on my Beastclaw list for a while, and I've decided to embrace the frostlord on thundertusk for a few of reasons:

1) he's much more survivable than the huskard, especially with the pelt which basically gives him the healing ability 

2) he makes yetis battleline, which is a cheap option

3) he can actually hurt something with his spear

I've also squeezed in the fungoid because having a second caster is critical to giving a decent hero phase, with both mystic shield and the maw as options. He's also quite survivable!

frostlord on thundertusk (pelt, reroll everwinter)

frostlord on stonehorn

butcher

fungoid shaman

4 mournfang pack

4 mournfang pack

3 icefall yhetees

20 grots

You edited it before I got here but I saw it in my email so I have to ask. Do you have pictures of the "frostlord on huskard" model :D

Anyway I like your list it is well balanced and has a little something to do in every phase of the game.  Let us know how that works out, I may even try it myself when I come back to playing BCR.

Not playing BCR right now because getting ready for Adepticon so I'm playing Phoenix Temple & Death right now.  Phoenix Temple will be used in team games, Death (legion of Sacrament) in narrative. BCR models were just going to take up to much room in luggage.  

Archived