Lets chat: Beastclaw Raiders

Karchev23

well the points drop is the main thing we wanted in the first place. 

with more and more monsters being released that are cheaper and just work a bit better having a bit more of a level playing field is nice. if a little rework is going to happen, i would like it to be more about the everwinter itself being a thing in the game. for a storm that comes in and freezes the land, it doesn't really do much in game. there has been colder weather in england than what the everwinter does in game XD

I feel that the Idoneth Deepkins turns rules are something that the beastclaw raiders should have had as well. the everwinter gradually closing in from behind the beastclaw raiders army and clawing its way up the board. after all, this is something that cannot be stopped. the special rules it does give right now are pretty... eh. nothing special or close to the stories of it in the battletome. 

but yeah, lower point monsters are great. as well as cheaper batallions. i look forward when i come off my hiatus from the hobby and see what crushing mischief i can get up to with my chunky brothers ?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real question imo are what are the missions for matched play going to be? That will determine  the power of BCR. Hero scoring missions such as Heralds of Woe, Duality of Death, and 3 Places of Power  are a few from recent books. If 1/3 to 1/2 of the missions give Hero heavy armies large advantages I can see BCR being quite good. 

I could see IJ being an ally in GH3 and Ard boyz getting under 400 for 30. That would help on bunker home objective and win with VP missions like Knife to the Heart or Take and Hold.

There may even be 12 missions in the book making a single strategy more difficult. Big issue with GH2 is 4 of 6 missions are progressive scoring, most models within x inches... We aren't going to win much if that remains the trend but I'm hopeful GH3 sees a better balance of mission types. Right now the best strategy is to horde up and bunker down.

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

The overall theme for every faction in 2.0 is points reductions across the board so this isnt surprising. Also not surprising...blah blah 'ally in a wizard' blah blah

Only armies that don't have heavy summoning options are getting this mentioned. Obviously have to wait and see the actual points charts to confirm, but so far looks like anyone without summoning is getting SOME points drops. Points drops do really help with allying in things like wizards.

5 minutes ago, Jagd said:

Only armies that don't have heavy summoning options are getting this mentioned. Obviously have to wait and see the actual points charts to confirm, but so far looks like anyone without summoning is getting SOME points drops. Points drops do really help with allying in things like wizards.

Yeah I understand I just hate using it as a crutch your forced to fall back on. Like every answer to any issue with Order factions is 'ally in some stormcast!'. 

If I wanted to play another faction I would

1 minute ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah I understand I just hate using it as a crutch your forced to fall back on. Like every answer to any issue with Order factions is 'ally in some stormcast!'. 

If I wanted to play another faction I would

Yeah I agree, however hopefully with reduced points, bigger focus on hero's across the board, sniping them off with thundertusk's becomes a viable strat haha :D Who needs a wizard if you can just potshot theirs off the table :D

If most armies are getting points drops, and those that do not get "free" points from summoning then do we actuall get something from the update? I mean, we are going to have to buy more stuff to play as many points as before, and will have more points to take ally. But that is going to be true for all armies, I have the feeling that a good army gets more out of being able to take or get more stuff, then one that is worse. Plus there is the question of how much the drop is going to be. If it is one extra thundertusk, comparing to the list pre 2.0 it would be at worse worth checking out and at best could end up being good. But if it is something like 2 extra fangs, then the list is not going to get much better imo. Maybe the battalions are going to be the saving grace of the faction.

Of course the cynical person in me starts thinking how the new only way to play BCR is going to be 2 hunters,  60 yetis and 2firebelly ally wizards, with maybe some sabers sprinkled for objective caping and screening. And GW is going to make it so that everyone who bought  3 starter sets feels the burn. ?

2 hours ago, Kaedus said:

99120213008_IronblasterNEW01.jpg

How is this cannon not in BCR? The rhinox is so similar to mounfangs and the cannon is literally supported by Thundertusk tusks. Seems a weird omission. 

I love the model and will getting 1 or 2 for my armies. It's another casualty of GW's splitting factions into tiddly little diddy-factions when they made the switch to AoS. Give us an Ogors tome with beastclaw included!

It's just bizarre. It looks like it could easily be a BCR unit. I get that it could easily be allied but I just don't get the divide between some of the Ogors. How do they explain the difference between the microfactions? 

Furthermore, can anyone tell me the points for the cannon or the scrap launcher? Wondering, if they're cheap enough, about having one or two sit at the home objective firing in to large battline units whilst the big monsters charge forward. Or is it just as useful to have a Thundertusk sit there? 

17 minutes ago, Kaedus said:

It's just bizarre. It looks like it could easily be a BCR unit. I get that it could easily be allied but I just don't get the divide between some of the Ogors. How do they explain the difference between the microfactions? 

Honestly have no idea. I imagine that when they initially envisioned AoS, perhaps they either wanted to kill off some models (and thus put them in small factions that would never be updated) or they imagined that AoS would be a game of small numbers of big models (which is sort of what it was originally).  If you think Ogors have it bad, have a look at skaven. There are factions that can barely field a legal 2,000pt force and are made up entirely of metal/finecast models save for the verminlord model. 

I think a big part of it is how AoS rules have developed. The keyword synergy with traits, artefacts, command abilities and spells is the whole game. I think they originally weren't sure what it would look like 3 years after launch and perhaps imagined certain factions could just play their stat line and be fine. 

As has been said for Skaven and a couple of other factions, let's hope we get a "Legions of Nagash" style tome. I don't even play death, but I got that tome and it's the best I've read for how they make everything work together.  You can field smaller factions and get traits, artefacts etc for that) or a wider-ranging force of mixed death under a specific character, and get artefacts for that. There's great spells for each level of force you might field too.

Grots+Ogors+BCR+Maneaters+Firebellies in one tome would be fantastic and give us a great faction with a load of plastic kits to play with. 

20 minutes ago, Kaedus said:

I don't think it's bizarre really. It landed in Gutbusters and it could've gone either way.

I think most likely because they don't quite have the hunter-wilderness look as the rest of the Beastclaw Raiders, as well as the fact all the Grots exist in the Gutbuster faction. I don't think there's a single Grot in BCR.

I think it's also possible that where possible they wanted to keep dual kits in the same faction (And the Scraplauncher certainly doesn't make sense in the BCR). These are also more lumbering type machines, while everything in BCR is quite fast.

So overall, I think the Cannon is in the right spot. 

Personally I feel that the rest of the Ogors should be combined back into a single tome (ala Legions of Nagash) and the Beastclaw Raiders should just be expanded in some fashion.

You know, maybe the Sabretusks turn into some kinda more swarmy unit so that BCR can have numbers (Along with a plastic kit). Or maybe they come up with some other beast that follows the Everwinter around as well.

I think there's definitely room for two Ogor factions to exist in the game.

8 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Grots+Ogors+BCR+Maneaters+Firebellies in one tome would be fantastic and give us a great faction with a load of plastic kits to play with. 

AoSFFBeastclaw-Art1xg.jpg

Picture from Faction Focus: Beastclaw Raiders... I see a few Ironguts and a bull. CONFIRMED BCR and Ogres will be in one battletome! or remain allies ;)

So, anyone has any idea how to play BCR in 2.0 ? Been thinking about it all weekend, and my mind is empty. Unless GW hinted at magic, and summoning as a false flag, and it ain't going to be as important. I can't imagine how we are going to deal with more numerous armies. Imagine an army of not 90 vulkits, but 120, or something like that. Even if we get a whole free thundertusk from the points drop, it still seems not enough.

Plus there is two whole armies we don't know how they will work. I doubt though that GW is going to make starter armies bad.

10 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

So, anyone has any idea how to play BCR in 2.0 ?

Way to early to think much about it imo. We need to see the points, missions, allies list, changes to warscrolls, and any changes to hero/behemoths restrictions.

I know that this is not very polish to be happy about someone having it worse, but I kind of a don't feel happier, because of it. I just hope,  probablly me being stupid, that GW hid a ton of stuff for the weaker factions, and the lowering of points is just teasing.  Or maybe our battletome update is near, and in july we get new rules 0_0 .

Meh as someone who loved Beasts of Chaos and then suffered from the horribly underpowered Beastmen book (while warriors enjoyed becoming top tier for 2 whole editions), I honestly only give GW a 40% trust to do any decent balancing. And thats on a GOOD day! ?

4 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

I know that this is not very polish to be happy about someone having it worse, but I kind of a don't feel happier, because of it. I just hope,  probablly me being stupid, that GW hid a ton of stuff for the weaker factions, and the lowering of points is just teasing.  Or maybe our battletome update is near, and in july we get new rules 0_0 .

I feel a kindship with other people whose armies suck (for lack of a better word). I'm basically just rooting for them from the sidelines, but find the "2nd edition thread" 'my army is worse than yours' competition distasteful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting started painting BCR and am not painting them in a wintery scheme. Question about modelling a Thundertusk's "Frost-wreathed Ice" effect: are there any ranged weapons in the game with similar stats?  I think it'd be neat to model the ability with some sort of weaponry on the back of the Thundertusk. 

My thundertusks don't really look capable of shooting out anything, beyond bad breath.

6 minutes ago, Gemzo said:

I'm just getting started painting BCR and am not painting them in a wintery scheme. Question about modelling a Thundertusk's "Frost-wreathed Ice" effect: are there any ranged weapons in the game with similar stats?  I think it'd be neat to model the ability with some sort of weaponry on the back of the Thundertusk. 

My thundertusks don't really look capable of shooting out anything, beyond bad breath.

Put an ironblaster cannon on top

4 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Put an ironblaster cannon on top

Best case, to avoid confusion, it would be something that has very similar rules (to try to be as WYSIWYG as possible) and something that wouldn't normally be allowed in a Beastclaw army.  

Archived