Lets chat: Beastclaw Raiders

Karchev23

Fellow Frostlords! I now send out a call through the blizzard, carried upon the oh so snowy winds on the everwinter. I ask you all to discuss all things Beastclaw Raiders! Tactics, fluff, hobby you name it. 

So il start things off. Ive got a 2500 pt tourney coming up in June, and im stuck as to which of the two big fluffy battalions i should take. Ive been playing the Olwr recently to great effect , aka Mournfangs wreck face, however im seriously considering a svard this time round. Minimum of 5 stonehorns is nothing to sniffle at ( get it.... cause you know... cold stuff ), all of them gaining an extra wound, the jorlbads run and charge and a 5+ save against mortal wounds for an artifact are pretty tempting... aaaand the old one drop armies always a good thing considering i know i wont be winning any games on scenario, first turn charges ftw. 

Sooo yeah, Olwr or Svard?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, annarborhawk said:

if you model the one regular guy with a garant hacker, then it's considered that all of them have it.

Where does this rule come from? I assume it's some kind of errata. This is very relevant to some of my Freeguild units which have an assortment of swords, halberds, etc that I have been rolling separately.

16 hours ago, Trout said:

Where does this rule come from? I assume it's some kind of errata. This is very relevant to some of my Freeguild units which have an assortment of swords, halberds, etc that I have been rolling separately.

Ehm, that's actually not allowed, the only unit that I know of that is allowed to have different weapons on different models i Ardboys. It usually says on the warscroll that the UNIT can be armed with either swords or halberds or spears. This means that the whole unit must have the same weapon.

The rule that annarborhawk refers to comes from one of the FAQs, where it is stated that command group models are considered to have the same weapon as the rest of their unit, regardless of what they are modeled with.

I just bought the IWA box yesterday, and started building my Frostlord on Stonehorn. Really excited to get these guys built and onto the table!

4 hours ago, Solaris said:

Ehm, that's actually not allowed, the only unit that I know of that is allowed to have different weapons on different models i Ardboys. It usually says on the warscroll that the UNIT can be armed with either swords or halberds or spears. This means that the whole unit must have the same weapon.

The rule that annarborhawk refers to comes from one of the FAQs, where it is stated that command group models are considered to have the same weapon as the rest of their unit, regardless of what they are modeled with.

I just bought the IWA box yesterday, and started building my Frostlord on Stonehorn. Really excited to get these guys built and onto the table!

Wow, ok. I wasn't aware of this. Seeing as the box the models came in shows an assortment of weaponry on the unit, I figured that's how it was. Also, I didn't build the standard bearer because I thought it would mean he can't have a gargant hacker. Thanks for the info.

So, while we are talking about Mournfang. I sometimes (often actually) run them in pairs, and I'm never sure that I have chosen the right combo of command models. I usually take a Hornblower and a Banner Bearer. this is because the increased charge distance is always useful, and I seem unable to roll anything but a 6 for my battleshock when 1 of them dies.

Just wondering if other people do the same or whether they go for a different combo, and if so why?. The shooting from the Skalg is always nice, but I'm lucky if he does even 1 wound in a whole game with the pistol.

51 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

I usually take a Hornblower and a Banner Bearer.

The additionnal shooting attack from the champ is unimpressive at best also. For my part i prefer to put them at 4 models if running pure Beastclaw for several reasons : 

If running a Huskard on SH, the bigger the unit, the better.

It is a 400 pile of sh.. Even if the unit is not very good, it provoke unfair close combat phases.

I was about to pose the same question for my first ever post so thought I'd chime in here instead.

Are we maybe looking at things through the eyes of an 8th edition fantasy player?

The wording for the Skalg is 'The leader of this unit is a Skalg' 

The wording for the Horn Blower and Banner Bearer is 'Models in this unit may be...' 

Is there anything to say a Skalg can't also carry a banner? I'm thinking you probably can't but from the wording there's nothing to stop it?

Just started a pure BCR force with Eurlbad, Skal and a FL on stonehorn. I'm taking the BCR allegiance so trying to gain what I can from the list. 

Sorry if I've totally missed the point but it's been bugging me for days. 

2 hours ago, cascadingmilk said:

The wording for the Skalg is 'The leader of this unit is a Skalg' 

The wording for the Horn Blower and Banner Bearer is 'Models in this unit may be...' 

Is there anything to say a Skalg can't also carry a banner? I'm thinking you probably can't but from the wording there's nothing to stop it.

I'm not sure, I've been thinking about the same thing. Based on wording alone, I see no reason for why the Skalg could not carry a banner or horn. The wording also implies that the Skalg is not optional.

After reading the two posts above, I have just spent the last hour rereading the Warscroll, the Rules, the FAQs and Errata and as afar as I can see @Solaris and @cascadingmilk have got a point here. The same applies to 'unit champions' in most warscrolls. It would appear that (using the Old 8th edition terminology) the unit champion can be a 'banner bearer' or a 'musician'. However, you cannot combine all the rolls as the wording usually says that models can be 'musicians' and models can be 'banner bearers' - nothing to say they can be both (although nothing to say they can't either I suppose). Also, while there is nothing to stop you having a unit made of 'banner bearers' and 'musicians', a unit can only be led by one 'unit champion'.

@Nico is good at rules lawyering - what do you think Nico?

I'm very new to this game so forgive me if I'm wrong, as far as I can see you pay the points for the banner bearer and musician and skalg anyway wether you take them or not and tbf even if they aren't modelled so why wouldn't you use the advantages that you've payed points for?

• 3 months later...

I have had my first games with this army and I am still a bit unsure how to play them.

I like: 

- Stonehorns

- Skal batallion (1 Hunter, 6 cats)

I don't really know what to do with

- Mournfangs

- Thundertusks (how do you play them? Like supporting artillery?)

What artifacts do you use? I have found the Frostwyrm brew really nice.

Is there any way to make your units hit better? There is the BattleBrew - hope we have it also in GH 2.

20 minutes ago, Anaticula said:

I have had my first games with this army and I am still a bit unsure how to play them.

I like: 

- Stonehorns (Easy to play)

- Skal batallion (1 Hunter, 6 cats)

I don't really know what to do with

- Mournfangs (I agree - they are expensive units)

- Thundertusks (how do you play them? Like supporting artillery?) (Yes!)

What artifacts do you use? I have found the Frostwyrm brew really nice. (Pelt of Cagnar is good.)

Is there any way to make your units hit better? There is the BattleBrew - hope we have it also in GH 2. (You can't take artifacts from GH unless you denounce your BCR Allegiance, which means you'd lose their ability and artifact.) - I agree, I hope we get some cool juice in GH2017. :)

I haven't played pure BCR, so can't talk much about the artifacts and whatnot.

Stonehorns are as mentioned by @Lysandestolpe rather straight forward to use. However, watch out so that you don't overextend. If you risk your opponent double turning you, they can go down pretty fast.

Mournfangs I haven't used yet, simply due to how expensive they are. With probably price reductions in a week, I really look forward to building and fielding mine though! They are really cool models.

Thundertusks, yeah. Supporting artillery. I tend to play rather carefully with mine - rather than rushing in to try and kill that Kunnin Rukk Big Boss and then die in retaliation, I prefer shooting other things off the board and positioning so that the Kunnin Rukk cant reach any juicy targets. For example, I'd rather position further back, blow a hole in their screen and charge my Frostlord into the Arrowboys to kill 10-15 of them safely than rush my Thundertusk forward, have a 1/6 chance of failing to kill that pesky Big Boss, and then being deleted afterwards. Of course, if your opponent ****** up his positioning you can really capitalize. I recently played a Seraphon army at a tournament who used Lord Kroak on a Balewind Vortex with a bunch of support characters. He deployed on the 12" line, and I promptly put my Thundertusks down opposite to Kroak and deleted the focal point of his army on t1. Be opportunistic, but don't overextend. Losing your tusks is a really big blow, so focus on keeping them alive and picking things off here and there.

5 hours ago, Solaris said:

Thundertusks, yeah. Supporting artillery. I tend to play rather carefully with mine - rather than rushing in to try and kill that Kunnin Rukk Big Boss and then die in retaliation, I prefer shooting other things off the board and positioning so that the Kunnin Rukk cant reach any juicy targets. For example, I'd rather position further back, blow a hole in their screen and charge my Frostlord into the Arrowboys to kill 10-15 of them safely than rush my Thundertusk forward, have a 1/6 chance of failing to kill that pesky Big Boss, and then being deleted afterwards. Of course, if your opponent ****** up his positioning you can really capitalize. I recently played a Sylvaneth army at a tournament who used Lord Kroak on a Balewind Vortex with a bunch of support characters. He deployed on the 12" line, and I promptly put my Thundertusks down opposite to Kroak and deleted the focal point of his army on t1. Be opportunistic, but don't overextend. Losing your tusks is a really big blow, so focus on keeping them alive and picking things off here and there.

Very helpful! Thx.

I'm still not sure about Yheeties either. They can be a threat but the die quickly. Any other opinions about them?

What I also figured to be helpful is the Frostwyrm Elixir for the Hunter. Youo let him deep strike and with some luck and his cats he'll dish out some serious wounds.

Yhetees do die fast but they are also very fast with a move of 9" and they can run and charge if near the TTusk. I have been using proxies to dicine if I want to buy Firim Warriors form Forge World if the Allie rule will allow us to take them. They are the same cost as Yhetees but have a 4+ save and a regen wounds ability. They are also buffed if they are shot at getting a better save even against Mortal wounds. And what I have found is they dont hit as hard as Yhetees and it takes them longer to get anywhere.   I use the Yhetees to grab objectives and help support my mournfangs as needed. I like them, but I don't care for the models. I have 1 unit of 3 and hope GW makes a new model I will add 3 more. The Firim Warriors just don't replace them as well as I hoped, to bad I like those models better.

3 hours ago, inq_enzo said:

Yhetees do die fast but they are also very fast with a move of 9" and they can run and charge if near the TTusk. I have been using proxies to dicine if I want to buy Firim Warriors form Forge World if the Allie rule will allow us to take them. They are the same cost as Yhetees but have a 4+ save and a regen wounds ability. They are also buffed if they are shot at getting a better save even against Mortal wounds. And what I have found is they dont hit as hard as Yhetees and it takes them longer to get anywhere.   I use the Yhetees to grab objectives and help support my mournfangs as needed. I like them, but I don't care for the models. I have 1 unit of 3 and hope GW makes a new model I will add 3 more. The Firim Warriors just don't replace them as well as I hoped, to bad I like those models better.

Any ideas on what you could proxy them for? Skin wolves jump to mind, I haven't seen them painted though so I'm not sure how easy that would be to do

Greetings fellow frostlords from gencon! Just saw this thread and thought I could share some answers and tactics.

On Mournfang Packs:

"The leader of this unit is a Skalg." This is a type of model, note the new capitalized name. 

"Models in this unit may be Horn Blowers." In the same way as the Skalg, this is a new type. 

"Models from this unit may carry Raiding Banners adorned with the skull of a great beast." This is an item you can equip on any model(s) in the unit. No new designated unit type or name here! 

This means you can field a unit of 2 mournfang and enjoy all three options (though a unit of 8, all with banners, would be in poor taste. Keep it to the number of banners in the box). 

On Yhetees:

They are underrated, but still not worth taking for me. Their damage is good, they can have some okay synergy, that long pile-in can be real good, and they aren't too terribly overpriced.

In a pure BCR army that struggles with low model count though, what I don't want are units that evaporate when attacked. Typically I need to squeeze all the value I can get out of my outnumbered guys, and each loss is felt hard. If ghb2 makes them cheaper I might change my tune, but Mournfang are coming down too...

I think with the new cheaper Mournfang from ghb2, they will be our low-key star units, overlooked as people worry about Thundertusks and Stonehorn.

Archived