Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

4 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

you guys saw this?

Miniwargaming have a YouTube review of the book, also confirmed an ability which increases the ranged weapon of a hero by 10" and an artifact wwhich is one use only that stops an enemy hero from piling in and fighting within 3"

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Baz said:

Miniwargaming have a YouTube review of the book, also confirmed an ability which increases the ranged weapon of a hero by 10" and an artifact wwhich is one use only that stops an enemy hero from piling in and fighting within 3"

oh?  well that's hunky dory! thanks

Nope, where'd you see that? I'm out of town right now so a bit out of the loop. The percent shooting seems like something a lot of armies will get. Sad we only get renamed abilities and artifacts other than that. 

Teleporting as long as within 6" of s table edge is army wide? If so that is pretty amazing actually. Makes our whole army basically tree revenants, much better for alpha striking. Also sounds like it will be awesome for looking like you are committing to one objective during deployment, only to mess up your opponents deployment by abandoning that objective for another. These are the shenanigans I imagine Wanderers having :D

Miniwargaming did a review on youtube of the whole book. They went over each new Allegiance somewhat briefly. Wanderers get discussed at 1:17:28 in to the video, here: https://youtu.be/vDC7wlrFelo?t=1h17m28s

Wanderers have 3 battle traits, Divine Hunters - Reroll battleshock boardwide (same as the newly altered Order battletrait), Melt Away which we know, and Realm Wanderers - start of movement phase any Wanderer unit within 6" of a board edge can travel on a hidden path, declare then remove and set up anywhere along the same board edge wholly within 6" and more than 9" from enemies.

So it has to be the same board edge, but as was pointed out in the video you set up in the corners to have access to multiple board edges to move across. Wanderers basically have the movement of rook piece in chess along board edges. They revealed the aformentioned +10" to range command trait and the awesome Forget-Me-Not that as mentioned prevents an enemy hero from fighting. It's pretty awesome but it apparently describes you placing some flowers on the enemy hero. Hilarious.

Edit - No word on points yet, now that we have some info I'm thirsting for more. Would love to know if we get any new battleline options. cough Eternal Guard cough

All caught up now! I'm a bit sad that Realm Wanderers only works on the same table edge, but it's still a pretty awesome ability. Really like the Forget-Me-Nots too - should be fantastic against models like Bloodthirsters, Stonehorns, Dragons, etc that get fast charges on you. Especially in scenarios where you get hit by two and only have the firepower to shoot one of them off the table. 

3 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

hi im just curious about 1 thing , why in amny wanderer list there are 3 waywatchers as battleline? where is this warscroll?

Waywatchers (not to be confused with the Waywatcher hero) are a compendium unit from the Wood Elves list.

They share the same keyword as the rest of the WANDERERS faction, so hence in the app you see them in the same section. In essence, currently they are all part of the same army, but over time it's going to be less and less likely you'll be able to use the compendium units. So I wouldn't be building an army with them filling a solid foundation.

That being said, a in a weeks time it'll probably be made a lot clearer how much support compendium is going to get in the future.

Eternal Guard battleline for Wanderer allegiance! -20pts to Sisters of the Watch, -20pts to spellweaver, -20pts to rangers! Massive regiment discounts for rangers and eternal guard. +100pts to Waystone Pathfinders, similar to other changes to battalion points. We could have hoped for a change to wild riders (especially now that 3 gore gruntas are 140pts, ouch) or even a slight GG reduction but as long as savage orruk arrer boyz are 120 for 10 as well I think its fair. Hype. Now we wait for compendium points to be released as a pdf online by GW, this Saturday mabye?

4 hours ago, darkspear said:

Great.  Now that Eternal Guard are battleline, and Swifthawk are allies, I can count my glade riders as reavers in a non compendium setting.

Yeah reavers do what I'd want glade riders to do.... 

But you get 8 vs 5  for the mentioned points (200 vs 160).... ARE they that much worse point for point

The EG being battleline means you can now use 2 units of 10 EG and then put a big unit of GG on the table and still have room for a unit of sisters behind one of the EG units.

Did I read it correctly in those french pics that sisters of watch and the rangers are not both battleline with waywatcher? That is a change (rangers had wayfinder in that position)... typo? intended?

Rangers getting a discount at high numbers seems useless to me.. they have such a niche role that putting a unit of 30 on the table seems excessive.

I don't see a single reason for taking 30 Rangers, but EG on the other hand... :D

I was really hoping for a slight point reduction for GG, since the (more effective) High Elf Archers are only 100 points, though not battleline. But with Sisters of the Watch going down in points a bit, now there's a bit more reason to take them instead of another 20x GG. I'm glade the Spellweaver dropped, but I'll probably keep taking Teclis instead anyways. Sisters of the Thorn and Wildriders are both still too expensive for what they are, so I'll probably keep passing on them. Pretty much all battalions went up in points, but the Waystone Pathfinders was pretty bad already in my opinion. I'll try it again with the new abilities we get, but the problems with it were just in the way it plays. 

All in all, pretty excited. Good chance I'll still play mixed order a lot because I need the Sylvaneth and Hurricanum, but I'm excited to redeploy a lot and giggle at my opponent's frustration with pure Wanderer lists. 

8 hours ago, Tidings said:

I don't see a single reason for taking 30 Rangers, but EG on the other hand... :D

I was really hoping for a slight point reduction for GG, since the (more effective) High Elf Archers are only 100 points, though not battleline. But with Sisters of the Watch going down in points a bit, now there's a bit more reason to take them instead of another 20x GG. I'm glade the Spellweaver dropped, but I'll probably keep taking Teclis instead anyways. Sisters of the Thorn and Wildriders are both still too expensive for what they are, so I'll probably keep passing on them. Pretty much all battalions went up in points, but the Waystone Pathfinders was pretty bad already in my opinion. I'll try it again with the new abilities we get, but the problems with it were just in the way it plays. 

All in all, pretty excited. Good chance I'll still play mixed order a lot because I need the Sylvaneth and Hurricanum, but I'm excited to redeploy a lot and giggle at my opponent's frustration with pure Wanderer lists. 

I think the movement stuff we will get could be good in a fight to the death.. however in a 5 turn objective based game it wI'll often mean loosing objectives too. The short range of bows in aos also means that lots of stuff will be able to charge us even from max range. If we teleport a unit of 20 gg from the side of our deployment zone to the side of their deployment zone we will probably have stuff in range. . But good chance they'll charge us. So we would need 10 EG to screen them teleporting too. You think we could teleport the screening EG back to our zone if in combat?

@AezealThe way the rule read I'm pretty certain we WILL be able to use it even in combat. It's not a retreat, and there was no "if no enemies are within 3" cause. Should be able to do it and then shoot. Unfortunately our army is just not very good at holding objectives. We seem to do best by letting the enemy slow down to take objectives, then using that extra time to shoot at them. Once we've killed enough of them we can start retaking them for a comeback. I think with the redeploying the main things we'll be able to do are trick your opponent during deployment and then just completely ignore the bulk of his force. Or, if he is expecting this, he will deploy pretty spread out instead of committing to one area. In either case it allows us to pick off units like the basic ones he leaves holding an objective. Then we can redeploy again and pick another unit off. Basically, instead of sitting back shooting him while he holds objectives, we'll be able to sit back shooting the stuff he is holding objectives with, while the bulk of his army chases us around. 

Won't always work, but I think it will allow for some really fun tricks that are very old-school wood elfy. 

On 8/20/2017 at 10:10 AM, darkspear said:

Great.  Now that Eternal Guard are battleline, and Swifthawk are allies, I can count my glade riders as reavers in a non compendium setting.

That's really smart. Granted GW could fix their points cost in the compendium PDF Saturday.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:31 PM, Aezeal said:

Did I read it correctly in those french pics that sisters of watch and the rangers are not both battleline with waywatcher? That is a change (rangers had wayfinder in that position)... typo? intended?

Rangers getting a discount at high numbers seems useless to me.. they have such a niche role that putting a unit of 30 on the table seems excessive.

I saw that too.  Which is good iMO.

Not sure they are useless with a 2" reach.   Or,.. useless ever.  2A 3+ 3+ rend and good dmg isn't useless.  Although I wouldn't argue with excessive.  But then I still don't think I will take more than a 20-man unit of EG either.

Very excited for the compendium pdf, hoping Sisters of Twilight go down to at least 400 given that behemoths like Alarielle, Stardrake, and Rogue Idol all went down.

Loving the reduction for the spellweaver as she can now earn her points back with just one cast of Blessing of Healing on a unit of Sisters of the Thorn or Warhawk Riders, as long as you get at least a 2 on the d3 roll. 

Sure a block of 30 Rangers is probably excessive in most cases, but pair it with a Shadowdancer and watch the likes of Archaon the Everchosen, the Grand Marshall of the Apocalypse, shake in his little boots. Especially with the Realm Wanderers rule to increase their mobility even further. As mentioned their 2" reach does make them better in a large block than most of the other elite aelves. 

It does seem interesting that they would switch the Rangers from needing a Wayfinder to a Waywatcher as general, as the Waywatcher was pretty clearly the competitive players' choice already. Now the Wayfinder really seems like a poor man's Waywatcher. Still going to run a Wayfinder for variety/fluffiness.

I guess they saw Waystone Pathfinder's biggest advantage as the same one all battalions give: one drop deployment to set up the double turn and an extra artifact, and thus the point hikes for battalions across the board. Does seem a little knee ****** though as the "Realm Wanders" ability the battalion gave is made quite a bit less useful (if not *quite* useless) due to the addition of the "Realm Wanderers" battle trait, and it was already the weaker of the two battalion abilities. However, the mentioned 'Myst Walker' Wanderer artifact that essentially gives the hero the 40k 8th ed shooting rule of 'must be closest unit to target with shooting' could make the Nomad Prince more survivable and thus greatly increase the usefulness of the Protective Volley ability, which was always the reason to take Waystone Pathfinders. Will need to see Myst Walker's wording though because it won't be as useful if it prevents being targeted by shooting 'attacks' but doesn't prevent the hero from being blasted by spells and abilities, such as the Thundertusk's Frost Wreathed Ice.

@Popisdead The main difference between 30 Rangers and EG is how they are used. EG are used to deny space and block enemies from more expensive units. Rangers ARE an expensive unit, and you'll almost never get more attacks in with 30 than you will with 20. Their job is to blow something up then die a turn later since they are so fragile. I don't see any reason to pay for more than you need to do that job. EG on the other hand are very resilient and their entire purpose is to sit around as long as possible. So buying more of them naturally makes sense. 

I think the changes to battleline are to try and make one General option as viable as Nomad Prince. His ability is amazing, but if a Waywatcher opens a few units up to battleline AND can have 30" range, he's suddenly as good an option as the Prince. 

Regarding Reavers, I can't recommend it enough. I've been doing that for a while since I play mixed Order anyways. They play more like wood elves than the Glade Riders do. ;)

Being that I've always built armies as from a single sub-faction, but now we can bring in units from sylvanth, what is people's thoughts on a treeman or treeman ancient?

I figure with some sisters of the thorn and his good save he could become somewhat difficult for some enemies to move.

10 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I saw that too.  Which is good iMO.

Not sure they are useless with a 2" reach.   Or,.. useless ever.  2A 3+ 3+ rend and good dmg isn't useless.  Although I wouldn't argue with excessive.  But then I still don't think I will take more than a 20-man unit of EG either.

The rangers are not worth their points I think if not used against monsters, other elite infantry then ouclasses them. And against monster I think 2 units of 10 might be better.

Archived