Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

warhammernerd

Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

Just now, Aezeal said:

What exactly did they change in the rules?

From what I've seen on some early preview on youtube, they've changed the wording from "units with X" " to "units wholly within X" " which means if you want to get a buff the whole unit has to be within the range.

Now I have no evidence for this other then the change to hidden pathways and what some people are saying on youtube, but it kinda makes sense to me to prevent this whole stringing out that occurs. But this could all be false so don't trust me on this.

from now on, you can only teleport one unit per turn using Realm Wanderers. This makes Stalker of the Hidden Path obsolete as it would take you four turns to teleport a single unit to where it's needed and back to safety away from enemy retaliation.

1. turn: unit A teleports.

2. turn: general teleports next to unit A.

3. turn: Unit A teleports back to safety.

4. turn: general teleports back to safety.

Wanderer went back from "Hit and Run" to "Stand and Die".

The only ray of hope we have left is the removal of the Rules of 1, a Waywatcher keeps generating attacks with his double shot now. Masterful Archer, standing still, Celestial Hurricanum for +3 to Hit could propably take care of anything within 22''

The changes to  "Realm Wanderer" means that it is no longer a main tactical tool, but now an ability that may prove useful if the right situation arises.  "Stalker of the Hidden paths" trait is, as @Thalandor says, now not worth picking.   Your opponent now knows you can only teleport one unit and that it has to start wholly within 6" of the general.  So, at set up it will be clear which unit you wish to teleport.  If you have more than one unit within 6" of your general in order to not telegraph your intentions, then all you are doing is pulling more troops out of position which leaves more board open to your opponent.

Without "Stalker", you are limited to same edge, so committing a unit to either side edge is possible given that points saved due to reductions could be used to gain a unit or two. But you are still telegraphing your moves to your opponent.   However, it is quite likely that Wanderers will be able to ally in Deepkin, and if that is the case, then a Soulscryer and some Thralls or Eels would probably be a better option.  Tree Revs can  move to any board edge from anywhere on the battlefield.  If we get DoK as allies, then Khinerai are also a good bet.  There are allies that can do our schtick better than we can.

Gone are the days when you could set up round your general, so your opponent wouldn't know exactly where you were going and what you intended to do until you had moved.  Now it is back to standard movement with the possibility of an opportunistic use of "Realm Wanderers" should circumstances favour its use during the game.

I'm still going to give them a go in the new system, but this change does weaken what was our modus operandi.  If the points reductions are correct, including for the Battalion, then said battalion may be the way to go at 2000 points.

2 hours ago, Thalandor said:

from now on, you can only teleport one unit per turn using Realm Wanderers. This makes Stalker of the Hidden Path obsolete as it would take you four turns to teleport a single unit to where it's needed and back to safety away from enemy retaliation.

1. turn: unit A teleports.

2. turn: general teleports next to unit A.

3. turn: Unit A teleports back to safety.

4. turn: general teleports back to safety.

Wanderer went back from "Hit and Run" to "Stand and Die".

The only ray of hope we have left is the removal of the Rules of 1, a Waywatcher keeps generating attacks with his double shot now. Masterful Archer, standing still, Celestial Hurricanum for +3 to Hit could propably take care of anything within 22''

I would say that if they take the rule of 1 for generating attacks we will end up in the same situation and this is other stronger armies will be more empowered by the rule of 1 the us and wee will still get annihilated and we will complain again about Tzeentch dashing out too many spells again for free or who knows what.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Your opponent now knows you can only teleport one unit and that it has to start wholly within 6" of the general

I heard they have changed the vast majority of those restriction making them bigger areas (for all armies), so e.g. what first was activating within 6" of a character now is WHOLLY within 12", so from that point of view there is still hope.

And this considering I wonder if the Ability will change in regard of the amount of " we have to be WHOLLY within in order to leave the table. And if so, maybe they have reworded the trait so that, considering only one unit can teleport, maybe the unit that does so does not count as moved for the purposes of abilities. In my opinion things are still a bit ethereal atm to make conclusions that Wanderers have been nerfed (and that said, yes, I do believe that the trait was nerfed a bit and some of the identity have been taken away again from Wanderers). 

If you remember in the faction focus for Wanderers it is written that GW recognized this faction needed some changes so maybe those are not the only changes they have made and they have changed the descriptions of the units too; we don't know (or do we? I could not find anything that was leading to think otherwise, but then again, maybe I have missed something😋😅).

for now I am boulstering my SotW ranks so I ll be able to field 2x10 units and this is a bit of a WIP to try and lift everybody's morale:

IMG_20180617_155424.jpg.82551e6863d6c65ac594fa77cb070c6f.jpgIMG_20180617_155737.jpg.75c0cd0731da914b4918d5c1f56af5c6.jpgIMG_20180617_155749.jpg.2cf76986d5c41fde287badcf721a1425.jpgIMG_20180617_155711.jpg.a24e61dcbab87feb2baf414a20c4d2fd.jpgIMG_20180617_155722.jpg.ea09c560e0b96eb22ddc4c9fb9dc7033.jpg

to be added to these fellas which I used t use as Waywatchers 

IMG_20180617_155935.jpg.919970e51f2ccec042369d9d4646bdcb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello guys,

I'm thinking about starting a Wanderers army  so I've got some questions before getting started:

- Where do you think Wanderers are going to sit in the new edition in competitive terms?

- What is the core for this army? Which units are a "must"? And what a typical competitive wanderer army list looks like?

- Are Wildwood Rangers a competitive unit? Do you think there is some room for them on the competitive scene? If so, how many units and size seem more viable? Specially now that their points cost has dropped hugely in the new edition. I love these models and they are actually the reason why I'm about to start a new Wanderer project.

Thanks for your help!

13 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

I would say that if they take the rule of 1 for generating attacks we will end up in the same situation and this is other stronger armies will be more empowered by the rule of 1 the us and wee will still get annihilated and we will complain again about Tzeentch dashing out too many spells again for free or who knows what.

I heard they have changed the vast majority of those restriction making them bigger areas (for all armies), so e.g. what first was activating within 6" of a character now is WHOLLY within 12", so from that point of view there is still hope.

And this considering I wonder if the Ability will change in regard of the amount of " we have to be WHOLLY within in order to leave the table. And if so, maybe they have reworded the trait so that, considering only one unit can teleport, maybe the unit that does so does not count as moved for the purposes of abilities. In my opinion things are still a bit ethereal atm to make conclusions that Wanderers have been nerfed (and that said, yes, I do believe that the trait was nerfed a bit and some of the identity have been taken away again from Wanderers). 

If you remember in the faction focus for Wanderers it is written that GW recognized this faction needed some changes so maybe those are not the only changes they have made and they have changed the descriptions of the units too; we don't know (or do we? I could not find anything that was leading to think otherwise, but then again, maybe I have missed something😋😅).

for now I am boulstering my SotW ranks so I ll be able to field 2x10 units and this is a bit of a WIP to try and lift everybody's morale:

IMG_20180617_155424.jpg.82551e6863d6c65ac594fa77cb070c6f.jpgIMG_20180617_155737.jpg.75c0cd0731da914b4918d5c1f56af5c6.jpgIMG_20180617_155749.jpg.2cf76986d5c41fde287badcf721a1425.jpgIMG_20180617_155711.jpg.a24e61dcbab87feb2baf414a20c4d2fd.jpgIMG_20180617_155722.jpg.ea09c560e0b96eb22ddc4c9fb9dc7033.jpg

to be added to these fellas which I used t use as Waywatchers 

IMG_20180617_155935.jpg.919970e51f2ccec042369d9d4646bdcb.jpg

Those conversions are looking great! I'm assuming the legs are from SotT.   I agree that we do not have all the information just yet and so there is still some hope for the faction in general, but the Realm Wanderers specific trait has lost a lot of its flexibility and is no longer something you can base your general tactics around.  I too am adding 10 SotW to the 10 I have already (though in more traditional mode), but to try in a block of 20 for that larger stand and shoot potential.  I also have 2 kit-bashed Waywatchers, so I may add a bird to one and turn them into a Wayfinder. Unfortunately, unless they change the warscroll, his command ability can only be used in the hero phase and is thus not really worth spending a command point on.

The wholly within 12" replacing within 6" seems to be to do with command abilities to reduce conga-lining.  If teleporting shennanigans are being reined back amongst all factions then fair enough, but they'd have to change a lot of things to do that.  I have a sneaking suspicion that this change has been made to accommodate some of the new battleplans, though I have no evidence beyond the fact that one at least is rumoured to include moving objectives.

What it will come down to in the end for me is whether I still have fun.  It was fun zipping around the board and felt very in keeping as Wanderers, even though I lost far more than I won  (and I do mean far more :) ).  I don't mind losing, so long as I felt I was in with a chance and gave my opponent a run for their money - and had fun.  

40 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Those conversions are looking great! I'm assuming the legs are from SotT

Yeah exactly, legs and ody from the SotT and the campes from the WR. Heads from the leftover counterparts of the SotW (shadow warriors) and misc arms from GG, shadow warriors and WWR.

I agree, a big chunk or the personality Waderers have now will indeed be taken away in the new edition or at least what we know makes us think of that; although I think some positive things may come up with the new point costs. I think we will be able to have more variety of lists due to the drop in points. The simple reduction for the EG makes them so we can take 20 for 140pts, which seems ridiculous but not that far away from other units in the game that have the same amount of wound for more points (plus their ability of buffing the saves which as far as we know will be the same). Now the WR may be worth the points (still one unit only unless we think of using them as screens) for last min capturing are not bad and they will take  the attention away from the bulk of the army. SotW received a point blank buff, no discussion on that and I see them being played more often now and even without rend 3+ 3+ is always good (maybe in a mixed order with an Hurricanum close to them and some sort of shield to protect them). I think +20  pts for our beloved Waywatcher was to be expected but still he will possibly be untouched all game and hidden from shooting (he will be at -2 to be hit from shooting an still the same chance of dashing out dmg), I'm down with that; keep him wrapped up in 20 SotW and happy days! I could go on...

We agree that maybe a pure Wanderers will still be not possible to make unless you go with the battalion (but only that way). Otherwise I see more room for Wanderers based Mixed order being a thing now, I am positive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ogmaadn said:

Hello guys,

I'm thinking about starting a Wanderers army  so I've got some questions before getting started:

- Where do you think Wanderers are going to sit in the new edition in competitive terms?

- What is the core for this army? Which units are a "must"? And what a typical competitive wanderer army list looks like?

- Are Wildwood Rangers a competitive unit? Do you think there is some room for them on the competitive scene? If so, how many units and size seem more viable? Specially now that their points cost has dropped hugely in the new edition. I love these models and they are actually the reason why I'm about to start a new Wanderer project.

Thanks for your help!

Hard to say yet. 

- I think GW will probably balance things out a bit but older armies will probably not be top tier, it's just not how things usually work.

- Glade guard, eternal guard and some heroes. Exact list will depend on quite a lot of things I don't know yet (point changes, rules changes, army rule changes, possible warscroll changes) I'd not really dare make a list yet. But considering the limited number of battleline units it's a sure bet GG will be needed in a list and EG as cheap anvil will probably have a role too.

- Hard to say IMHO. Their point drop is .. nice but not dramatic and if other similar units (that where better for the points) also drop then there isn't much gained. I'd personally play them MSU to avoid losses of expensive models due to bravery checks and to encourage overkill. Also: their are pretty niche: only shine against monsters so it's good to keep them flexible so they can go where needed. If you have a single unit of 30 which gets tied up with chaff then they will not likely be earning their pay.

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Hard to say yet. 

- I think GW will probably balance things out a bit but older armies will probably not be top tier, it's just not how things usually work.

- Glade guard, eternal guard and some heroes. Exact list will depend on quite a lot of things I don't know yet (point changes, rules changes, army rule changes, possible warscroll changes) I'd not really dare make a list yet. But considering the limited number of battleline units it's a sure bet GG will be needed in a list and EG as cheap anvil will probably have a role too.

- Hard to say IMHO. Their point drop is .. nice but not dramatic and if other similar units (that where better for the points) also drop then there isn't much gained. I'd personally play them MSU to avoid losses of expensive models due to bravery checks and to encourage overkill. Also: their are pretty niche: only shine against monsters so it's good to keep them flexible so they can go where needed. If you have a single unit of 30 which gets tied up with chaff then they will not likely be earning their pay.

Agree with @Aezeal, everything is changing.....well no, not quite but they are making some changes for sure and I would wait 'till the edition is released.  

And, adding to what I wrote earlier, they have changed the warscroll for pink horrors making baseline the split into blue horrors and then brimstone horrors so there is a chance that they will modify some other warscroll in order to make them better (or worse 🤪). So, again , think positive!!!!!!!