Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

warhammernerd

Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

Actually that's true a nice "re-roll saves of 1" would go a long way to making them better.

small way, but with a points reduction it would certainly help.

 

7 minutes ago, adreal said:

That's fair, I'm just excited for any and all info, the 30th is so far away

Yeah I'm excited and I've not even play last months due to live and stuff (which is annoying but luckily only when I think about it, up side is I feel no pressure to paint anything either :D).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two lists with my wanderers/wood elves and Sylvaneth I usually enjoy and I use pack of 30 GG so I'm curious about what will they do. The drop on Sisters of the watch is tempting me to buy a box, they are beautiful...

Here are my lists so if anybody sees anything to change for good I would be thankful to hear it :)

Wanderers go: 

Heroes: Glade lord on Forest Dragon, Twilight sisters on forest dragon, Waywatcher adn Spellweaver

Units: 10 Eternal Gu, 30 Glade Gu, 5 sisters of the Thorn, 10 Namarti Thralls (I used to go 10 Tree Revenants), Treelord.

More Sylvaneth, with 7 magic spells per Turn:

Heroes: Alarielle, Treelord Ancient, Branchwych and Spellweaver

Units: 20 Dryads, 10 Eternal Gu, 5 Tree Rev, 30 Glade Gu, 5 Sister of the Thorn.

So 19 days left to go!!

Edited by Hoseman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This very well may not matter in 3 weeks time but anyways.

 

Can someone spell out exactly how stalker of the hidden paths works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, adreal said:

....

Can someone spell out exactly how stalker of the hidden paths works?

If a friendly WANDERER unit that is within 6" of the general leaves the battlefield using the Realm Wanderers ability, then it can return within 6" of any table edge.  So during deployment you group all your units you want to jump at least within 6" of the general. Then during your movement phase, you can set them up (just like in the the deployment) along any table edge as long as the unit is completely within 6" of the edge and at least 9' away from an enemy unit.

Hope that helps, maybe some more specific questions might help

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the new edition you can replace your general, so no chance of losing the ability (unless there's a better one for the situation).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aelfric said:

In the new edition you can replace your general, so no chance of losing the ability (unless there's a better one for the situation).

I am very hyped about having  the possibility of fielding a Waywatcher as your general so to have SotW as BL and still having the possibility to use other heroes command abilities. For sure having SOTHP on a waywatcher will make the ability useful all game long unless somebody engage him in CC. 

I don t really get what you say yhough @Aelfric regarding the loss of the general. What I understood is that even with the general dead we will be able (other heroes) to use command abilities. But SOTHP is a command trait  therefore when the bearer dies you will no longer be able to use it, right? Did I miss something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Frozenbeast Evidently you did, in the final faction focus (Idoneth Deepkin) they teased a change to the text of the base rules for choosing your general. It specifies that if your general is slain, you pick another model to be your general and can generate a command trait for your new general if it is a Hero.

This means we can basically maintain Stalker of the Hidden Paths' benefit the whole game if we want. No more of your opponent asking 'now which guy is letting you teleport everywhere again?' in their hero, shooting, and charge phases :)

What I think really makes this interesting is that you can judge, at the point when your original general dies, do you need Stalker of the Hidden Paths at that point in the game? I think there will be many cases where you won't need the teleport flexibility by that point. Maybe your Waywatcher general goes down early but now the Nomad Prince of your Waystone Pathfinders battalion suddenly has the Mystwalker trait and is calling down Defensive Volleys with impunity. Or maybe the best thing for the rest of that particular game is giving a surviving Waywatcher either the +1 to ranged hit rolls for extra attacks or the 10" of extra range for a cool 38" threat range. Or, in a magic heavy game with some tense Endless spell action the Singer of Spells trait for +1 to cast/unbind suddenly could be an interesting option for your Spellweaver, especially after the point you've used Ancient Blessings for the auto-unbind and need to give her more staying power. This new general selection mechanic gives some of those less used Wanderer command  traits new life as mid-game tactical choices.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GM_Monkey said:

Can I just ask a quick stupid question about Shield of Thorns. Does Rend effect the Mortal Wound  on a 6 or more?

Yes. 

Shield of thorns with mystic shield is kind of necessary. But this will all be different in two weeks...maybe. 

@Aelfric good catch! I lose my general so often. I like this :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 5:12 PM, Hoseman said:

I have two lists with my wanderers/wood elves and Sylvaneth I usually enjoy and I use pack of 30 GG so I'm curious about what will they do. The drop on Sisters of the watch is tempting me to buy a box, they are beautiful...

Here are my lists so if anybody sees anything to change for good I would be thankful to hear it :)

Wanderers go: 

Heroes: Glade lord on Forest Dragon, Twilight sisters on forest dragon, Waywatcher adn Spellweaver

Units: 10 Eternal Gu, 30 Glade Gu, 5 sisters of the Thorn, 10 Namarti Thralls (I used to go 10 Tree Revenants), Treelord.

More Sylvaneth, with 7 magic spells per Turn:

Heroes: Alarielle, Treelord Ancient, Branchwych and Spellweaver

Units: 20 Dryads, 10 Eternal Gu, 5 Tree Rev, 30 Glade Gu, 5 Sister of the Thorn.

So 19 days left to go!!

Compendium units are no longer going to be legal so you may have to lose those dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orsino said:

Compendium units are no longer going to be legal so you may have to lose those dragons.

Only if its a tournament. Let's not put too many limits on our fun. :D Player to player you can play what you want. Just be upfront and agree if compendium units can be used first. If they insist on no compendium units being used then try agreeing on playing one game with them and one game without them? Its outrageous anyone should force you to not use those great dragons but some people may get too serious about this game. good luck have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

Only if its a tournament. Let's not put too many limits on our fun. :D Player to player you can play what you want. Just be upfront and agree if compendium units can be used first. If they insist on no compendium units being used then try agreeing on playing one game with them and one game without them? Its outrageous anyone should force you to not use those great dragons but some people may get too serious about this game. good luck have fun!

 

42 minutes ago, Graftonianman said:

Not all tournaments ban compendium units. They were allowed at adepticon this year, for instance.

Now, who knows what the new edition will bring, tho :)

I think you've both missed my point, they will cease to be compendium units because the compendiums will cease to exist. Of course your opponent may allow you to continue using these units (you can use heroclix and monopoly pieces with made-up rules if everyone agrees) but you can't necessarily count on that which puts you in an awkward position.

And honestly I don't think it's outrageous for people to decline to let you use them, they will no longer be legal units in matched play, it wouldn't be unreasonable for people to object. 

The other option is proxying your models as an allied dragon, a stardrake or Dragonlord. 

Anyway you slice it the dragons are a big loss for wanderers, strategically and thematically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time no post. Hate to show up with bad news, but here it is, for those of you who are still playing pure Wanderers instead of Mixed Order. :(
 

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, wanderers are getting really screwed, although I'd wait to see the full points changes before concluding they're no longer playable as a pure faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Orsino said:

 

I think you've both missed my point, they will cease to be compendium units because the compendiums will cease to exist. Of course your opponent may allow you to continue using these units (you can use heroclix and monopoly pieces with made-up rules if everyone agrees) but you can't necessarily count on that which puts you in an awkward position.

And honestly I don't think it's outrageous for people to decline to let you use them, they will no longer be legal units in matched play, it wouldn't be unreasonable for people to object. 

The other option is proxying your models as an allied dragon, a stardrake or Dragonlord. 

Anyway you slice it the dragons are a big loss for wanderers, strategically and thematically.

I didn't miss your point I understood it very well I just don't want you to push one side of the debate without balance. Its game not a competition and there are many ways to play. In the games I play with my Friends we rarely use all matched play rules to the letter instead we mix and match rules to how we want to play - sometimes no battleline, sometimes only battle line and one hero for example. Sometimes we play narrative with points or use other limits and freedoms to choose. The point is you should not make everyone who comes into this game think the only way to play is Match play otherwise you are missing the point. Its game and its meant to be fun. we all have collections we want to use and sometimes we will use substitutes for warscrolls. It doesn't really matter as long as players agree on the parameters of the game. Match play is a great way to play but it can make things a little too competitive and let's face it the armies will never be balanced in matched play anyway so what's the harm in using compendium units. I'm not saying you are wrong im saying we are both right buts thats just my opinion ;) people will play how the want to play and if you can't agree or compromise then play someone else.

Edited by WABBIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Long time no post. Hate to show up with bad news, but here it is, for those of you who are still playing pure Wanderers instead of Mixed Order. :(
 

 

The bearer of bad @Tidings  :P

Oh well another nerf in the wanderer coffin. I doubt the points drops will make up for it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The news upsets me, not much cam be done about it though, and we will have to see what the actual rule is, but I guess I'm going mixed order

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

I didn't miss your point I understood it very well I just don't want you to push one side of the debate without balance. Its game not a competition and there are many ways to play. In the games I play with my Friends we rarely use all matched play rules to the letter instead we mix and match rules to how we want to play - sometimes no battleline, sometimes only battle line and one hero for example. Sometimes we play narrative with points or use other limits and freedoms to choose. The point is you should not make everyone who comes into this game think the only way to play is Match play otherwise you are missing the point. Its game and its meant to be fun. we all have collections we want to use and sometimes we will use substitutes for warscrolls. It doesn't really matter as long as players agree on the parameters of the game. Match play is a great way to play but it can make things a little too competitive and let's face it the armies will never be balanced in matched play anyway so what's the harm in using compendium units. I'm not saying you are wrong im saying we are both right buts thats just my opinion ;) people will play how the want to play and if you can't agree then play someone else.

Again, if you have not missed my point then you are addressing a point I haven't made.

I didn't say matched play is the only way to play, or that you can't make up your own rules with your friends. What I said was that if you construct an army list for matched play based on the assumption that opponents will be happy for you to play with non-legal units, then you're potentially going to end up in a difficult position if people object. If you always play with the same people and they're happy to do that it's fine, but you can't assume that everyone will give you a pass on it so you can't build a list on that basis. 

And the post by @Hoseman I was replying to was a list for matched play, so jumping in to talk about other ways of playing isn't really relevant. It would be a bit like someone asking about what car they should buy and you jumping in to say you prefer to cycle.

Edited by Orsino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shortly after that timestamp they show some points as well, but it's blurry and hard to read. Looks like Sisters of the Watch went down in points (180?), but most of the rest I squinted at looked to be the same points as before. Will see more soon I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a sad thing that old army are going a bit "hard" to use or make a competitive army. I love my wood elves, not wanderers, and I use them as wanderers. I'm thinking of finishing wanderers or sylvaneth army. I like sisters of the thorn a lot and I will use them...

If not, there I'm finishing my Idoneth so as substitute of the "exiled elfs" of this age of sigmar. And if not there is the Stormcast but I don't like playing them, so boring...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orsino said:

Again, if you have not missed my point then you are addressing a point I haven't made.

I didn't say matched play is the only way to play, or that you can't make up your own rules with your friends. What I said was that if you construct an army list for matched play based on the assumption that opponents will be happy for you to play with non-legal units, then you're potentially going to end up in a difficult position if people object. If you always play with the same people and they're happy to do that it's fine, but you can't assume that everyone will give you a pass on it so you can't build a list on that basis. 

And the post by @Hoseman I was replying to was a list for matched play, so jumping in to talk about other ways of playing isn't really relevant. It would be a bit like someone asking about what car they should buy and you jumping in to say you prefer to cycle.

I never said assume everyone will play your list I said communicate with your opponent and agree and keep things light. I think you are arguing for the sake of it now. By just saying compendium units are or will be "illegal" your pushing people into a corner. I was simply highlighting other ways to play. It's more important for both sides to enjoy the game and to be inclusive not exclusive. Forcing someone to not use their favorite models isn't exactly friendly. That's all I was trying to say, it wasn't an attack on your opinion I was just balancing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the nerf bat has dropped... one unit dissapearing off board edge instead of all. Hopefully we still get the artifact that lets us teleport the general plus one unit. Pretty dissapointing if no other points dropped other than sisters too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with the new allies rules with 1 ally unit in every 4 unit, and when point are no longer limited, celestial hurricanum might be included in wanderer allegiance now again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×